Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Rule 5 Draft

vCash

Rule 5 Draft

Not positive it warrants its own thread, but I figured I would make something up for the Rule 5 draft. I read a really solid article on the baseball America site, and figured it might trigger a little bit of discussion. Since its been dead in here, figured I'd give it a thread so it doesn't get lost in the minor league thread or the 2015 Brewers thread.

Here's the article. http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...-rule-5-draft/

Its a bit lengthy. At first, it goes into their 10 most likely candidates to get drafted. Then it breaks down quite a few more unprotected candidates in a bunch of different categories, like backup catchers, utility infielders, former top prospects/high draft picks, flamethrowing relievers ect.

vCash
    There's a couple implications I see in the article, but I didn't want to bog down the initial thread post, so here's what I was able to pull from it. First off, I think the Rule 5 draft can be a valuable tool for a team like ours. We don't have a very deep bench and are weak at the upper levels of the minors. So we could really use some affordable bench pieces. Every team can always use more relievers as well, and we're no exception to the rule.

Typically these days, you aren't finding a ton of hidden gems in the Rule 5 draft, but you can find some useful bench pieces and relievers, which, like I said above, we could probably use. The draft itself is really affordable, since you only pay $50,000 to take the player (and then you have to pay his contract as well obviously, but the majority of eligible players have accrued no to very little service time so they're cheap). And if you don't keep the player on your 25 man roster, the team you got him from has the option of buying him back for $25,000, so you're only out $25,000 plus salary, which in today's baseball is roughly the equivalent of you or I buying a scratch off ticket. Now, we aren't likely to get a really great player in the draft, but there are chances of getting a league average type player, or maybe a 1 or 2 WAR type guy. We could use those types of guys for our bench (think Casey McGehee from a few years ago as a good example of a rule 5 pick working out).

From the list, the first thing that pops out to me is Mark Canha from the Marlins organization. He's amongst the top 10 names (listed 2nd, but the names are alphabetical so that doesn't mean much). He's a 25 yr old right handed hitting 1B, who apparently may have the capability of playing some 3B and corner OF. I'll admit I know nothing about him, but the article says he has a good hitting tool with average power. Looking through is numbers, he's been basically a .275-.300 hitter throughout the 4 levels of the minors, with a pretty good OBP. He's shown some pop (25 homers in Low A, 20 in AAA, but only 6 and 13 in the other two years). I have no idea whether those leagues are hitting leagues or pitching leagues, and can't tell you how good of defensive player he is, but theoretically, he seems like a really good fit. Seems like he profiles similarly to Jason Rogers in our system, but seeing as the price for a Rule 5 guy isn't particularly high, I'm not opposed to bringing him in to battle Rogers for our backup corner IF spot, if we don't plan on bringing in a vet or trading for someone.

If we don't go corner IF, we could be looking at a utility middle IF as well. There's quite a few of them on the list as well. And most of them profile similarly to guys we have like Hector Gomez and Elian Herrarra, but competition never really hurts. I'm not sold on any of the utility IF we have as backups right now, so if there's a guy we like in that spot, it wouldn't hurt to take a chance on him as well, especially if he has the ability to play solid defense at all of 2B, SS and 3B.

Other than that, the lists are basically riddled with pitchers with either really good fastballs and poor control/poor secondary pitches, or pitchers who have decent control, but don't really have an above average pitch. I'm not opposed to taking a chance on a guy like that, but it seems like a lot of those guys are similar to a couple of the guys in our org, like Mike Blazek and Johnny Hellweg. Seeing as those types are up and down from year to year, it may not be a bad idea to take a gamble on a guy, especially if our coaching staff thinks they see something they can work with the guy on to improve. This type of reliever probably wouldn't be my ideal choice in the Rule 5, but if we don't like anyone else, I say why not.

The other spot I may look at pitching/bullpen help is for a long reliever, depending on our plan. Buster Onley recently had an insider article with a little blurb about how the Brewers may be willing to listen to offers for Lohse or Yovani. It sounds like its more of a blow me away and then we'll talk type offers, but it is interesting none the less. If we're trading one of those guys, then presumably that leaves Nelson and Fiers in the rotation. If that's the case, Jungmann and Thornburg (if healthy) are our only other viable starting options (unless we're trading for a near major league quality pitching prospect). If that's the case, then I'd consider looking for a Marco Estrada type in the Rule 5 as well. We could probably use a guy who's our long reliever that can make some pinch starts if needed, while allowing Jungmann to season in AAA another year and allowing Thornburg to reclaim so high leverage relief innings as well. I'm not sure we have any desire to trade Yo or Lohse, in which case we have Fiers or Nelson as that guy, but if we do, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a chance on a long relief type in the Rule 5 then.

vCash
    One other thing of note about the article is that two unprotected Brewers made the list. Both of them were in the what once was category, spelling out former early picks/high prospects who've either flamed out or done nothing. Those two guys were Kentrail Davis and Jeb Bradley. Writeups for each seem to indicate that neither will get taken. Slightly more optimistic on Bradley, saying that he finally showed a few brighter spots this past season than before, but that's not saying a whole lot. Davis, they say, is a former CF prospect who can no longer really play CF, and doesn't really have the bat to be effective at either corner, so his future doesnt' appear to bright.

Not very surprised that neither got protected as I strongly doubt either one of them gets picked, but either way, thought it was interesting to report on both guys that made the list.

vCash
    Is there a limit on how many rule 5 players you can get? just wondering obviously were not going to go get 5 guys but I was just wondering!

I hope were able to find a relief pitcher that has a go to pitch and at least somewhat of a 2nd/3rd pitch that they can hit the zone with and with somewhat decent consistency. (Even if that consistency is hit or miss. like either theyre on or off) They'll probably be somewhat raw or have some kind of bad mechanics or bad tendencys. Hopefully its something our coaches think they can fix and than are able to throughout the season.

Also would not mind us finding a utility IF that can play all positions who can handle a bat and wont be a huge liability on defense.

Another question I have is did we keep the pitcher from last year? Or did we not keep him on the big league roster the whole year and if not did the Pirates take him back? (think we got him from pit) If we do still have him now that the 1st year is over we can send him to the minors this year with out risk of losing him correct?
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    I'm not sure on the limit of playes you can select. I know there's a minor league and major league portion, but don't know if there's a set number of rounds or if it just goes until teams stop picking. Given the rules for keeping the players, I can't imagine anyone selecting more than two players in the major league portion.

As for wang, he is a brewer. He had to be on the active roster for a certain amount of games and he met that minimum by a few games. And we can now send him to the minors, but because he was one the 25 man active roster, his minor league option clock has started. As you may or may not know, each player has what's called three minor league option seasons. During these seasons, a player may be moved freely from any minor league level to the majors (must be on the 40 man roster however) freely as often as they would like. Like I said, that can only happen during the 3 minor league option seasons. For example, scooter has been in the majors for only 2 years I believe, so he still has a minor league option season remaining. If we wanted to, we could send scooter to AAA without any repercussions. After those 3 minor league options are exhausted, in order to send a guy to the minors (unless it's a rehab assignment) you would have to designate them for assignment, which would subject them to waivers.

So I guess long story short, my understanding of the situation is that we have wang on our roster and can assign him to any level of the farm we want to, but I think he can only stay in the system for 3 years until he has to be in the majors for good. I could be misinformed on that, but that was my understanding of the situation from the various places I've read about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13:29317399
    I'm not sure on the limit of playes you can select. I know there's a minor league and major league portion, but don't know if there's a set number of rounds or if it just goes until teams stop picking. Given the rules for keeping the players, I can't imagine anyone selecting more than two players in the major league portion.

As for wang, he is a brewer. He had to be on the active roster for a certain amount of games and he met that minimum by a few games. And we can now send him to the minors, but because he was one the 25 man active roster, his minor league option clock has started. As you may or may not know, each player has what's called three minor league option seasons. During these seasons, a player may be moved freely from any minor league level to the majors (must be on the 40 man roster however) freely as often as they would like. Like I said, that can only happen during the 3 minor league option seasons. For example, scooter has been in the majors for only 2 years I believe, so he still has a minor league option season remaining. If we wanted to, we could send scooter to AAA without any repercussions. After those 3 minor league options are exhausted, in order to send a guy to the minors (unless it's a rehab assignment) you would have to designate them for assignment, which would subject them to waivers.

So I guess long story short, my understanding of the situation is that we have wang on our roster and can assign him to any level of the farm we want to, but I think he can only stay in the system for 3 years until he has to be in the majors for good. I could be misinformed on that, but that was my understanding of the situation from the various places I've read about it.
    Yeah you got it right, only reason I know is mlb the show lol

vCash
    Day has come and gone with no selections from us. The fact that we dfa Pena a while back to open up a roster spot leads me to believe it was fairly likely we could have had our eyes on someone, but we picked 16th I believe, and 11 teams decided to make a selection before us (which seems like a really high number). Its fairly likely that the one or more guys we had our eye on was selected before we picked.

We didn't lose anyone in the major league portion of the draft, but we lost Sean Halton and Kentrail Davis in the minor league portion. Not sure of the exact rules of the minor league portion, but I believe they were both left off of the Nashville roster, so I think the same rules apply as the major league portion, and their selecting teams have to keep them in AAA all year or offer them back for like $12,500. Not positive on those rules, but that was my impression.

vCash
    I hope we can somehow get Davis back. Who picked him up? I still hold out hope for him!

vCash
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but if I remember correctly, the Angels and Orioles took our two guys. I think it was the Angels that took Davis, but I could be wrong. I'm not too torn up about losing Davis. I think he's one of those dime a dozen AAA outfielders. He's not good enough defensively to profile in center and his bat doesn't play in the corners. I like that he's a nice OBP type of guy, which we could use more of, but outside of that, he doesn't really offer much offensive value. Doesn't slug all that well and average is nothing to brag about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Day has come and gone with no selections from us. The fact that we dfa Pena a while back to open up a roster spot leads me to believe it was fairly likely we could have had our eyes on someone, but we picked 16th I believe, and 11 teams decided to make a selection before us (which seems like a really high number). Its fairly likely that the one or more guys we had our eye on was selected before we picked.

We didn't lose anyone in the major league portion of the draft, but we lost Sean Halton and Kentrail Davis in the minor league portion. Not sure of the exact rules of the minor league portion, but I believe they were both left off of the Nashville roster, so I think the same rules apply as the major league portion, and their selecting teams have to keep them in AAA all year or offer them back for like $12,500. Not positive on those rules, but that was my impression.
    Both asked for a change of scenery, and we granted their wish by exposing them. Not surprising for either.

vCash
    Makes sense. I remembered reading that too now that you say that. Basically told them that they really weren't part of the long term plan, so we allowed them to have a chance to move on. Classy move by the org if that really is the case. I think this type of thing happens in baseball more than we hear, because there's so many minor league players.