Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Ideas

vCash

Trade Ideas

I know it's early but I can't help but speculate. What are some ideas for trades down the road if we can't turn it around in the next couple months.

vCash
    Just read an Angels blog that speculates that they might be interested in lind. Cj Cron has been hitting really poorly as their dh, and both he and pujols are righties, so lind makes some sense for them, especially now that he's shown he's not an awful first baseman.

Also heard a rumor that the Angels were interested in scooter this offseason as well. I'm not positive were shopping scooter, but seeing as neither lind nor scooter probably fetch a ton alone, maybe we package them to LA and see what type of package we can get back. Maybe instead of getting a mid level guy for each, we can combine them and get a higher level guy and a lower level upside guy.

vCash
    Looking at other teams, I think gomez makes a lot of sense for the mets, Seattle, Toronto and Detroit. Plus he's good enough that pretty much any of the other contenders can bump someone for him, but those teams have pretty glaring holes. The way they're managed, Seattle seems like the type of team that could get aggressive for him though.

Lohse to the Dodgers would make a lot of sense too. Not sure we get much back for him, but that's a spot he'd fit. He's also a guy with enough of a track record that almost any competiting team that needs an arm wouldn't mind having as a 4th or 5th starter.

If they think they can compete, rami probably makes sense for San Diego and San fran would probably be interested assuming he doesn't cost them much. Although he does have some no trade protection, so I'm not sure he'd want to pack up and move out west to end his career.

Segura to the mets is another one that could fit. I think they are going after Tulo hard if he's available, but segura could be a plan b if Tulo doesn't work out. Not sure they'd b willing to pay the price we'd likely ask. Segura probably fits a lot of other places too, seeing as he's controllable and can play both middle infield spots.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 05-13-2015 at 05:36 PM.

vCash
    I'd look to get a young 3rd baseman and 1st baseman, and then high upside arms. I'd use this next couple weeks that Segura is on the DL to check out Sardinas and if he looks good send Segura out.
    1- Lind to the Astros for 1B AJ Reed and 3B JD Davis
    2- Lohse to the Dodgers for INF Alex Guerruero
    3- Garza to the Red Sox for P Brain Johnson or P Matt Barnes and OF Bryce Brentz
    4- Segura to the Mets for P Steven Matz
    5-Aramis to SF for as much salary as they could take
    6-K-Rod to Miami for P Brian Ellington

That would give us young players to fill in at 1st, 3rd, Sardinas/Arcia at SS, and young MLB ready arms. We would be getting rid of vets but we would add young talent and cap space to possibly add a FA like Scott Kazmir, Doug Fister, Ian Kennedy, or Mat Latos
    Last edited by jay87shot; 05-14-2015 at 10:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I'd look to get a young 3rd baseman and 1st baseman, and then high upside arms. I'd use this next couple weeks that Segura is on the DL to check out Sardinas and if he looks good send Segura out.
    1- Lind to the Astros for 1B AJ Reed and 3B JD Davis
    2- Lohse to the Dodgers for INF Alex Guerruero
    3- Garza to the Red Sox for P Brain Johnson or P Matt Barnes and OF Bryce Brentz
    4- Segura to the Mets for P Steven Matz
    5-Aramis to SF for as much salary as they could take
    6-K-Rod to Miami for P Brian Ellington

That would give us young players to fill in at 1st, 3rd, Sardinas/Arcia at SS, and young MLB ready arms. We would be getting rid of vets but we would add young talent and cap space to possibly add a FA like Scott Kazmir, Doug Fister, Ian Kennedy, or Mat Latos
    I'll admit I don't know a ton about prospects in other systems, but from my very limited knowledge (aka a quick google search of farm rankings and reading a little blurb on each, I'll give my opinion.

1-This deal seems alright. I'm not positive the Astros want Lind, but assuming they do, getting two mid level prospects seems to make sense. From the sounds of it, neither one of those guys will probably be a stud, but could both be good MLB players at a position of weakness in our farm.
    2-I'm not sure a half season of Lohse is worth Guerrero to the Dodgers. Lohse would really have to pick it up and Guerrero would have to fall off quite a bit. Also, he's more than enough return for Lohse, but not sure he makes a ton of sense seeing as he turns 29 after the season ends.
    3-I don't think we'd get either of those pitchers for Garza. He's overpaid and not that good anymore. We'd be lucky to get anything for him in my mind.
    4-Segura for Matz probably isn't happening either. I know Segura is worth quite a bit and we shouldn't sell short on him, but I don't see us getting someone of Matz caliber. I really like Matz and think he can be really good, but I don't think Segura is a good enough upgrade of Flores to justify that return.
    5-Agree. Rami is probably worth very little right now, so just saving some cash and maybe getting a low level guy for him is good enough.
    6-Problably makes some sense. KRod isn't going to net you a ton, but he could get you either a high upside low floor type of Single A type pitching prospect or a mid tier guy that can maybe hang as a 5th starter, but likely projects as a reliever. We have plenty of those types in our farm, but it never hurts to have more arms.

vCash
    Thanks, I agree with your opinions. Hopefully Garza and Lohse can put together 5 or 6 good starts because teams will overpay for quality starting pitchers with playoff experience like Garza and Lohse to be 5th starters.

vCash
    Just went back through our schedule and since that Cincy series when Lucroy went down about a month ago we're playing above .500 baseball (11-10), and if the bullpen didn't have brain farts several times it would likely be even better than that. The team looks soooo much better with Counsell managing than Roenicke it's ridiculous. The next month or so is
    3 @ NYM, (2/3)
    3 @ DET, (1/3)
    3 @ ATL, (2/3)
    3 vs SF, (2/3)
    3 vs ARZ, (3/3)
    3 @ STL, (1/3)
    3 @ MIN, (2/3)
    3 @ PIT, (1/3)
    4 vs WAS (2/4)
    4 @/vs KC, (2/4)
    3 @ COL. (3/3)

21-14 in those games leaves us at 34-37 as we get towards the end of June (13-23 currently), where we then get a 6 game homestand with the Mets and Twinkies, and 3 with the Phillies on the road. If we continue to play well, and Lucroy comes back at the end of the month like some think, I bet we make a push back towards .500 around the all-star break.

That being said, I do want to see Gomez traded this season, and let Parra run CF. I think this is a happy medium between a rebuild & competing, as Parra has gold glove capabilities while being a slight downgrade at the plate. I was hoping we could get a guy like Matz or Syndergaard from the Mets, but now I saw they pulled Noah up the other day so who knows if he'd be available. Call me an optimist but I still think there's hope for this season...we're only 6 games back of the wild card & have been slowly chipping away at it.

By the way, did you see CC bat Lohse 8th last night? Something new !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Superfly; 05-16-2015 at 11:25 AM.

vCash
    No offense, but its that attitude that terrifies me. Either we keep everyone and try to make a run at this thing yet or we blow it up. I think the most frustrating thing for me would be to sort of sell but don't sell off too much. I understand that they may not trade Gomez because they think they may get a better offer in the offseason (which may or may not be true), but I would hate for us not to make moves because this team shows signs of life. I maintain that this roster is probably a .500 or so roster. We could continue to play with what we have, hope everyone gets healthy at the same time and make a run, but that would just be trying to squeeze every last drop out of an unsustainable strategy.

I have no issue with the moves we've made. It would be awesome to still have guys like Brantley, Cain, Odorizzi, Escobar and Lawrie still in the org. But I understand we made those moves to win. At the time it was hard to swallow, but giving up the pick to sign Lohse wasn't the worst move either. It extended our window and allowed us to compete. Same goes for signing Garza. We probably gave him too many years, but it got him here and gave us a chance last year. But now is the time to quit shooting for just over .500 and hope we luck into the 2nd wild card. Now is the time to sell of the assets we have and start building more assets to go along with the group we have at AA, A+ and A. We have some high upside, good athlete types there, and hopefully we can make some trades to add more talent and supplement positions of weakness.

Anyone that can even get any sort of decent prospect should be considered to be sold, including guys like Parra, Lind, Lucroy, Segura and Smith, all of whom are somewhat affordable next year and some beyond. As much as the next 3-5 years may suck if we tear down, its really the only sustainable way we can build a roster that can truly compete in the future. We've milked this signing mid tier free agents and emptying the farm for pitchers as far as it can take us. Its been a good ride basically since the CC trade, but now its time to accept we may need to lost 90 games for a couple years to replenish the farm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    No offense, but its that attitude that terrifies me. Either we keep everyone and try to make a run at this thing yet or we blow it up. I think the most frustrating thing for me would be to sort of sell but don't sell off too much. I understand that they may not trade Gomez because they think they may get a better offer in the offseason (which may or may not be true), but I would hate for us not to make moves because this team shows signs of life. I maintain that this roster is probably a .500 or so roster. We could continue to play with what we have, hope everyone gets healthy at the same time and make a run, but that would just be trying to squeeze every last drop out of an unsustainable strategy.

I have no issue with the moves we've made. It would be awesome to still have guys like Brantley, Cain, Odorizzi, Escobar and Lawrie still in the org. But I understand we made those moves to win. At the time it was hard to swallow, but giving up the pick to sign Lohse wasn't the worst move either. It extended our window and allowed us to compete. Same goes for signing Garza. We probably gave him too many years, but it got him here and gave us a chance last year. But now is the time to quit shooting for just over .500 and hope we luck into the 2nd wild card. Now is the time to sell of the assets we have and start building more assets to go along with the group we have at AA, A+ and A. We have some high upside, good athlete types there, and hopefully we can make some trades to add more talent and supplement positions of weakness.

Anyone that can even get any sort of decent prospect should be considered to be sold, including guys like Parra, Lind, Lucroy, Segura and Smith, all of whom are somewhat affordable next year and some beyond. As much as the next 3-5 years may suck if we tear down, its really the only sustainable way we can build a roster that can truly compete in the future. We've milked this signing mid tier free agents and emptying the farm for pitchers as far as it can take us. Its been a good ride basically since the CC trade, but now its time to accept we may need to lost 90 games for a couple years to replenish the farm.
    I disagree with your premises that it has to be a tear down. We have a decent sized payroll around 105 million, and we have a TON of salary coming off the books this offseason. There's more than one way to skin a cat, if we unload a prized possession at a position where we DO have good talent behind him, we can ACQUIRE those AA or A- prospects to grow with our existing crop, while still being a decent team. There are decent FA's out there who will command mid range money this offseason, we just need to be smarter about who we're acquiring.

As sexy as having Javier Baez, Carlos Correa, etc sounds, this market cannot afford to have stretches of poor records. We don't have a fanbase like the Cubs where there are millions of brainwashed people who will never quit coming. Surely you saw it a couple weeks ago...Miller Park was EMPTY. Braun may be coming back to form as well, we can't be wasting him away if indeed this isn't a mirage.

vCash
    I think that's a very Herb Kohlian way of thinking. I get what you're saying that tearing it down and stinking for a few years sucks and hurts attendance. But I think its also necessary. Baseball isn't completely a game of stars, but you need a good core of very good to great players, especially in the pitching staff. We don't have that. And we aren't a market that's going to be signing the top end pitchers. You can pretty much count us out of the Price, Grienke, Cueto and Zimmerman sweepstakes. So that leaves us battling for guys who are more than likely aging #2 or 3 type pitchers. We've tried to build a staff around guys like that since Grienke left and it doesn't work well. You need at least one top end pitcher. So either we trade major league players for prospects who can become that guy, or we trade prospects to get that guy with a year or two left on his deal. We've seen how trading prospects depletes the farm system, and given the level of our prospects (best ones are lower levels), I'm not even sure we can trade for an ace type pitcher.

And we really don't have a ton of positions of depth right now either. SS is definitely one, as Segura and Sardinas both look like capable big league SS and Arcia is probably moving up midseason prospects lists as our best prospect. Other than that, there isn't a ton of depth anywhere at the top of the org. Right now we have OF depth, but Parra is a FA after this season and Gomez is gone after next season. You can resign Parra and trade Gomez, but you're making our weak depth even weaker if you're planning on competing. And we would still have big holes near the top of the rotation and at 3B, with 1B being a year away from FA (after the season) and not getting any younger. And there's little to know farm help on the horizon at 3B or 1B, and the top OF farm depth is Taylor, who's currently struggling at AA, so he's likely two years out.

So yeah, we'll have some cash to spend with guys coming off the books, but the FA class is very top heavy with pitching that we likely can't afford, and then not overly strong after that. Let's say we trade Gomez, but for prospects who may not be ready next year. I'm assuming you'd want to resign Parra or someone like that for center. Then we spend wisely, but there's really not great options at 3B. So we bring in a guy like David Freese, Willie Bloomquist, Gordon Beckham or Casey McGehee. Then we spend some money on a starting pitcher to replace Lohse. Take out the top end guys and we're battling for the likes of Mat Latos, Scott Kazmir, Justin Masterson, Ian Kennedy and those types of guys. I'm assuming you would trade some bullpen pitching this year, so we'd likely have to spend a little money there. And hopefully we learned our lesson and maybe spend a little on a bench player or two.

So basically, what the lineup looks like if you do a hybrid retool and trying to stay competitive is something like this.

C-Lucroy
    1B-Lind (last yr of his deal and he'll be 33)
    2B-Scooter or Sardinas
    3B-FA-likely not a good player given the FAs next year
    SS-Segura or Sardinas
    LF-Davis
    CF-Parra or FA (Dexter Fowler, Austin Jackson or Denard Span are the other top CF)
    RF-Braun

SP-FA (mentioned above), Garza, Peralta, Fiers, Nelson (although Nelson may be the best pitcher of the bunch)
    RP-Smith, Jeffress, maybe still KRod, and minor leaguers and FAs.

And with a couple of the trades we would make that you would recommend, we'd likely go from the 20th or so best farm to closer to the lower teens area of farms.

So that's not a horrible outlook, but we're still likely the 4th best team in the division, and still probably aren't any better than other NL teams like Washington, Miami and the Mets in the East, and LA, San Fran and SD in the West. Basically, we'd be hoping to get lucky with injuries and someone else has injuries so we can be in the hunt for the 2nd Wild Card.

That isn't an outlook that intrigues me. Like I said, its a very Herb Kohlian way of looking at things. Its trying to balance signing mid level FAs and hoping they outplay their contract. And hoping everything comes together so you can sneak into the playoffs and see what happens. I'd rather tear it down, lose 90 games for a couple years, and actually put together a core of good young players that can compete together. Then when we spend money on those mid tier FA pitchers like the Ian Kennedys of the world, we are expecting them to be a #4 pitcher instead of being a #2 pitcher.

vCash
    My support is gone for these guys until Broxton is demoted / traded / benched etc, Will Smith cheating, Cotts absolutely horrific signing by Melvin (what was he thinking?!?!?!?). I wonder what the running count is on the number of games our bullpen has thrown down the drain so far this year...the last two nights now have been very winnable games that just got lit on fire in the late innings. Can't be doing that when you're trying to battle back to .500.

Maybe those who were worried (not referring to you crew, moreso on other websites) about K-Rod and bashing him should take a look in the mirror and realize he was (and is) the best pitcher we have by far, and he's truly a good reliever and/or closer.

vCash
    I agree on KRod. He's better than people give him credit for. A lot of his peripheral stats don't look great, but I think he's just one of those guys who out pitches his advanced numbers (which happens, but isn't super common).

To be fair on Cotts. He wasn't super expensive and its only a one year deal, so I don't really have an issue with the signing. He was only two years removed from a lights out season, so it wasn't a bad gamble in my mind. Like you said, he's been awful, but his home run rate is unsustainably high even compared to his worst seasons. That's bound to normalize some, which in turn, should improve his numbers. He probably won't be a great reliever or anything, but I'd expect he'll regress to the mean some and end up as more of a league average reliever like he has been generally throughout his career.

And on Smith, from everything I've been reading, basically every pitcher does that (even Buster Onley wrote an article about that). The problem was Smith was too obvious about it and the Braves skipper wanted to be an idiot. Heck, after the game, Freddy Freeman said hitters prefer that pitchers use something on the ball to improve grip so they aren't getting 95 MPH fastballs to the helmet all the time. Yes, according to the rules, Smith was cheating, but I've heard many people (including Onley) compare Smith getting caught with someone getting pulled over for going 56 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. Everyone does it, but only rarely does someone get caught.

And Broxton isn't good either. And if I remember correctly, I was probably on the let him close bandwagon (although I would have had a short leash for him and been fine with Jeffress or Smith getting chances). But the more I think about it, he was brought in to try to save the day last season. They obviously knew they'd have him this year too, but I think it was more about a win now move for last season, and anything they'd get out of him this season would be icing on the cake. That being said, both managers we've had this season keep going to him in big spots, even though its clear he isn't executing in those spots this year. It is frustrating.

vCash
    I think Matt Dominguez would be an interesting trade option for us. He was recently designated by Houston, so the theory is that they'll likely try to trade him. I can't imagine it would take much to get him, seeing as they've already decided to move on from him.

But basically, he's a young power hitter who is a solid to good defender at 3rd base. He strikes out a ton and doesn't get on base all that well, so I can see why they moved on. However, he is only 25 (turns 26 in August) and was once a 1st round pick. Like I said, he's shown signs of hitting for power, and sometimes those power hitters take a while to unlock their full potential. While they are typically the exception, there's plenty of examples in guys like Jose Bautista, Chris Davis and David Ortiz, of guys who have some pop but took some time to put it together. I'm not sure Dominguez has that potential, but seeing as he's controllable, shouldn't cost much and we have nothing in the stable at 3rd beyond this year, he seems like a guy that a rebuilding team should consider taking a chance on.

vCash
    He wasn't traded for, but I do like us claiming Dominguez off of waivers. Like I said, he's not likely going to be a great player. He doesn't walk enough and strikes out a ton. But he's also still only 25 years old, plays a position that we have virtually nothing at in the top levels of the farm, and has power, which is always sought after.

Maybe a change of scenery and continuing to mature as a player will be exactly what he needs. Even just getting a little more selective at the plate should theoretically increase his walk rate and also his hard hit ball percentage (assuming he swings at less balls, he should swing at more strikes and hit it harder in theory). He's considered to be a good defender at 3rd, so if he can even get to a league average level with his bat, he can be a decent 3rd baseman, especially considering in our farm, the current competition are guys like Hector Gomez and Hernan Perez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    He wasn't traded for, but I do like us claiming Dominguez off of waivers. Like I said, he's not likely going to be a great player. He doesn't walk enough and strikes out a ton. But he's also still only 25 years old, plays a position that we have virtually nothing at in the top levels of the farm, and has power, which is always sought after.

Maybe a change of scenery and continuing to mature as a player will be exactly what he needs. Even just getting a little more selective at the plate should theoretically increase his walk rate and also his hard hit ball percentage (assuming he swings at less balls, he should swing at more strikes and hit it harder in theory). He's considered to be a good defender at 3rd, so if he can even get to a league average level with his bat, he can be a decent 3rd baseman, especially considering in our farm, the current competition are guys like Hector Gomez and Hernan Perez.
    Hopefully he is Mike Moustakas, who some wanted as a reclamation project last year. Same age, nearly the same stats, but MM finally came around this year and is playing very well. Dominguez could be a late bloomer ala Carlos Gomez, it's definitely worth a shot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast