Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Does Papelbon get moved this year?

I forget his name but we got a kid in the majors who can be our closer in the near future, yah? Isn't he a year off or so?

Given Papelbon's decline over the last few years, and the short shelf life on closers...I think we should move him this year at the deadline for a bat.

His numbers are in steady decline, and he has already expressed quite a bit of interest in testing out the free agent market. I love Paps as much as the next guy, but I think he's been losing his dominance a bit each year and he makes for absolutely amazing trade bait.

Anyone else with me?

vCash
    no. just no. just cause Bard has good stuff doesn't mean he can close now at the ML level.

and i expected to be a papelbon topic after his bad performance, just because it's the beginning of april and people overreact over everything imaginable.

vCash
    I think you're putting a little too much stock into his performance yesterday.

But still, you make a couple decent points. Closers don't typically have a long peaks, and Paps is going to be making more money in the coming years. Money that would probably be better spent on someone that does something a little bit more significant than pitch 70 or so innings a year.
    beatin down yo block

vCash
    I'd play the "wait and see" card. We're five games into the season, and a lot of players are struggling so far. It doesn't matter. Give it some time, see who picks up and who doesn't.

If we have a legitimate option to slide into the closer spot this season (Masterson, Bard), and Papelbon is receiving a ton of interest at the deadline, then i think you have to look at all the options. If there's a deal out there for him that immensely helps us, then I think you have to pull the trigger...But he's still a very important member of our pitching staff.

vCash
    no. absolutely, positively no. just because papelbon didnt pitch well yesterday is no reason for the red sox to trade him..although, i dont see the sox re-signing him when his contract is up
    World Series Champions
    1903 | 1912 | 1915 | 1916| 1918 | 2004 | 2007 | 2013

vCash
    I don't know if I'd trade him. I'd kinda want to see if I could resign him. But he's stated that he's looking for a TON of money. And we all know Theo. It's too bad we couldn't get Paps to do what Lester, Pedroia and Youks did. Hopefully we resign him. Bard needs alot of seasoning to pitch in the show for an entire year. The Sox never really throw a rook directly into the fire. Bard looks like he could be an absolute beauty in the future though. He spits hot fire.

vCash
    is this some kind of joke? not a chance. i dont think u understand how much this guy has meant to our team.
    Thank you Saints. i can watch TV again.

Welcome Nate Robinson to the Boston Celtics! I am one of the few who support this deal.

Please Patriots, no more CBA talks. I and the fans dont care. We want to win. Get this roster where it needs to be. NO excuses.

We couldnt sign a big hitter, so the Red Sox are all about De-Fense. Hope it works!

Boston Sports for Life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheoWeTrust View Post
    I forget his name but we got a kid in the majors who can be our closer in the near future, yah? Isn't he a year off or so?

Given Papelbon's decline over the last few years, and the short shelf life on closers...I think we should move him this year at the deadline for a bat.

His numbers are in steady decline, and he has already expressed quite a bit of interest in testing out the free agent market. I love Paps as much as the next guy, but I think he's been losing his dominance a bit each year and he makes for absolutely amazing trade bait.

Anyone else with me?
    wow crack kills

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheoWeTrust View Post

Anyone else with me?
    I'm not even sure what "steady decline" you're referring to, but every closer in baseball not named Mariano Rivera would kill his mother for a "steady decline" like Paps has enjoyed the last couple of years.

I did notice, as he pitched another brace of scoreless innings in the '08 playoffs - to run his streak to the longest ever, that he's been "losing his dominance" a little lately.

Donate your brain to chimpanzee science.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 76YazwSideburns View Post
    I'm not even sure what "steady decline" you're referring to, but every closer in baseball not named Mariano Rivera would kill his mother for a "steady decline" like Paps has enjoyed the last couple of years.

I did notice, as he pitched another brace of scoreless innings in the '08 playoffs - to run his streak to the longest ever, that he's been "losing his dominance" a little lately.

Chimpanzees are into science?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 76YazwSideburns View Post

Actually Paps record is "THe longest ever to start a career"....I believe Rivera has the longest ever playoff innings streak.

vCash
    Yeah, just because he had an off game yestruday doesn't mean his skills are going down. Look at what he did in the playoffs last season he is still one of the best closers in the game and is cruical to the Red Sox. I think once his contract runs out he will be gone and Bard will take over but not this season.

vCash
    Does anybody here remember what it was like before Papelbon arrived? Must I bring up the name Joel Pineiro? I wouldn't be opposed to trading him at some time however we have to wait for a replacement first.

I really don't see a replacement for him yet and his production will still be among the best for closers this year, he had a rough day yesterday but he is still dominating.

vCash
    Does anybody here remember what it was like before Papelbon arrived? Must I bring up the name Joel Pineiro? I wouldn't be opposed to trading him at some time however we have to wait for a replacement first.
    Joel never even closed a game for us.

As for Papelbon, I'm in the "wait and see" mode. I'll be fine when we ditch him. If Bard comes up and dominates in meaningful innings this year, lets go on the market this year and see what we can get for Papelbon. He's getting to the point where he'll be costing a lot of money, and Closers are grossly overpaid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Joel never even closed a game for us.
    But he was supposed to. When we signed him, he was gonna be the closer.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast