Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Cool idea for Red Sox to bring back Pedro?

Wouldn't it be great for the Red Sox to bring back Pedro to Boston, even just for a year or two. He was and still is my favorite pitcher just because of his great years in the late 1990s to early 2000s. I still remember the 1999 season when he went 23-4 with a 2.07 ERA. I know he's not the pitcher he was a few years ago, but he could be a good addition to the bullpen or certainly a starting pitcher if someone goes down. The Nats are interested in him I've heard, but if that doesn't work out, it would be awesome to see Pedro back at Fenway. What do you guys think?

vCash
    We have WAY too much pitching right now to even entertain the thought of bringing back Pedro.

Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Wakefield, Penny, Smoltz, Masterson, Bowden, Buchholz, and even Gabbard.

There just isn't any room to bring back Pedro.

Patriots Playoffs 2012: Go Hard Or Go Home!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by villasoxpats09 View Post
    Wouldn't it be great for the Red Sox to bring back Pedro to Boston, even just for a year or two. He was and still is my favorite pitcher just because of his great years in the late 1990s to early 2000s. I still remember the 1999 season when he went 23-4 with a 2.07 ERA. I know he's not the pitcher he was a few years ago, but he could be a good addition to the bullpen or certainly a starting pitcher if someone goes down. The Nats are interested in him I've heard, but if that doesn't work out, it would be awesome to see Pedro back at Fenway. What do you guys think?

I loved watching the guy in his prime, but it just will never happen. We have tons of starters and he does not want to come out of the pen and I don't blame him. It's not like he was tearing it up for the Mets. I hope he gets a chance to pitch again. He may be the only pitcher ever to throw his changeup like four different ways and make you look incredibly foolish every pitch. It just will never ever happen.

vCash
    Eww, absolutely not.

In his prime, Pedro is one of the best who ever stood on a mound. Unfortunately, he has regressed so dramatically that it's scary. His fastball tops out at 90mph, his location isn't what it once was, he can't stay healthy for any meaningful length of time, and he wants $5M a year. He was mediocre at best towards the end of his time with the Mets, and that's a generous categorization. What a horrible, horrible combination of factors.

Aside from nostalgia, there's absolutely nothing appealing about bringing back Pedro Martinez. We already have a ton of good depth. If we ran into an emergency where we HAD to acquire outside-the-organization pitching, there's about 20 names above Pedro's on the list of candidates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Intimidator View Post
    We have WAY too much pitching right now to even entertain the thought of bringing back Pedro.

Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka, Wakefield, Penny, Smoltz, Masterson, Bowden, Buchholz, and even Gabbard.

There just isn't any room to bring back Pedro.
    Bold = Reason why we won't do it.

Now, if in the next week or two Beckett goes down, Wakefield retires, and Smoltz is out for the year, we'll probably look to do it. For now, though, we're set.

vCash
    Haha...can you even imagine the kinds of threads we'd start to see in here if we lost Beckett, Wakefield, and Smoltz all in the course of a week?!

Yikes.

vCash
    I'm not interested.

vCash
    I always wanted the FO to bring back pedro but sad to say not happening

Thank you K.G. JR!!!

vCash
    We already had this thread. JUST SAY NO to PEDRO.....

vCash
    He's selfish and wanted out. He can stay out if you ask me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead2006 View Post
    He's selfish and wanted out. He can stay out if you ask me.
    He simply wanted one more big time contract after 2004. I can't blame him for going for the extra year elsewhere.

vCash
    I hope he retires, he is ruining his memory in peoples mind. I never watch him pitch anymore. In the middle of 1999 I promised myself the opposite, and I missed maybe 3 of his games the rest of his time on the Sox.

"...you gotta know when to fold 'em". It's time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I hope he retires, he is ruining his memory in peoples mind. I never watch him pitch anymore. In the middle of 1999 I promised myself the opposite, and I missed maybe 3 of his games the rest of his time on the Sox.

"...you gotta know when to fold 'em". It's time.
    If he still wants to play he should play. Why not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sawxfan View Post
    If he still wants to play he should play. Why not?
    Pity and Class and Legend

Ever see Ali in his last 3-4 fights? Mantle in his last year? They were great, but age and injury sapped them until they were shadows.

Going back to 1966, which is when I started to watch, Pedro was the greatest pitcher per inning I have ever seen - easily. I don't care much if Wakefield ends up at 10-15 with a 5.55 ERA in his last year, because he was never great (never mind the impact on the Sox) just the player. I don't care about Wakefield, or lots of other guys.

Do you understand that? It's not a matter of "right" - as in he has the right. It's a matter of "legend", and Pedro is one, and thankfully the past couple of years he has spit the bit out of my sight.

When I drive by a crash scene with ambulances I never look - it is a private tragedy and others are attending to it. When I am in the supermarket check-out I never look at those stupid rags that live to debase people for the titilation of their market. I guess we are different. I don't want to point fingers at Pedro, and I don't want Theo to throw away money on him either.

I nominate the title/idea of this thread as the #1 worst in Red Sox group history. "Cool"? I can think of a slew of words besides "Cool" for the title of this thread.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 04-28-2009 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Eck has said a few times that he thinks pedro could be a good closer for somebody, even now, i don't buy that but Eck thinks so.

Thank you K.G. JR!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast