Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

A Player as Leader

I for one do not see ANYONE of the Mets starting Players jumping up and being the leader of this club.
    What I see is guys looking around and at each other instead of taking the lead.

Delgado is the Man who should be the vocal leader of this club.
    He however has NEVER been that anywhere he has been.
    Beltran is another who could possibly be that but again it is not something he has never been and never will be (I don't think).
    Wright I think is in between a rock and a hard place , while at times I think he roots he is also I believe having a hard time about taking the rains of this club because of Delgado and Beltran.
    The closest thing this club has had to a leader was Loduca- he was the one guy who left his emotions on the field.

The Yankees were smart they put a "C" on the chest of there leader and there are no questions on who the leader is.
    I don't think the Mets can bring anyone in who could take over the role as leader because of the before mentioned players.
    Another thing I thought of is Johan on days he pitches is without question the leader of the team~ problem is he only pitches every 5th day.

If you look back at the 86 Mets they had 3 leaders that come to mind
    Hernandez~Carter & Knight were all leaders of that club they all played EVERY DAY like the season depended on it...... Passion and Fire and that is something I have not seen yet in the early stages of the season.....
    Hopefully someone or a few guys will start to play with fire and passion.
    For the record I think Sheff should have run over Albert yesterday...
    Please no more mr. nice guys from this club~ Time to play to win....

vCash
    Put a C on Wright. He is the one who needs to be leading this team. He always defers to Delgado and sometimes Beltran which does nothing for the team. It might help with the direction of this team because they don't seem to all be on the same page.

They had a chance to rid themselves of that issue but they resigned Delgado.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METSFRONTOFFICE View Post
    I for one do not see ANYONE of the Mets starting Players jumping up and being the leader of this club.
    What I see is guys looking around and at each other instead of taking the lead.

Delgado is the Man who should be the vocal leader of this club.
    He however has NEVER been that anywhere he has been.
    Beltran is another who could possibly be that but again it is not something he has never been and never will be (I don't think).
    Wright I think is in between a rock and a hard place , while at times I think he roots he is also I believe having a hard time about taking the rains of this club because of Delgado and Beltran.
    The closest thing this club has had to a leader was Loduca- he was the one guy who left his emotions on the field.

The Yankees were smart they put a "C" on the chest of there leader and there are no questions on who the leader is.
    I don't think the Mets can bring anyone in who could take over the role as leader because of the before mentioned players.
    Another thing I thought of is Johan on days he pitches is without question the leader of the team~ problem is he only pitches every 5th day.

If you look back at the 86 Mets they had 3 leaders that come to mind
    Hernandez~Carter & Knight were all leaders of that club they all played EVERY DAY like the season depended on it...... Passion and Fire and that is something I have not seen yet in the early stages of the season.....
    Hopefully someone or a few guys will start to play with fire and passion.
    For the record I think Sheff should have run over Albert yesterday...
    Please no more mr. nice guys from this club~ Time to play to win....

vCash
    The Yankees only named Jeter captain after many of the other vets had left. And even now while he is technically the captain its pretty frequently said that he's not really any kind of vocal leader... that Posada is more of that guy.

The "C" label is more just for show than anything else.

And no team looks "good", "gritty", or "fiery" when they are losing games. If the Mets start winning then that will lead everyone to start talking about what great fire and passion they have.... not the other way around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspy44 View Post
    The Yankees only named Jeter captain after many of the other vets had left. And even now while he is technically the captain its pretty frequently said that he's not really any kind of vocal leader... that Posada is more of that guy.

And no team looks "good", "gritty", or "fiery" when they are losing games. If the Mets start winning then that will lead everyone to start talking about what great fire and passion they have.... not the other way around.
    Exactly.

And the truth is that this team all gets along, there's no clubhouse drama, they all seem like they're friends. And who is to say that there isn't a vocal leader? Are any of these haters posting here actually in the clubhouse? No. So they don't know. They just see losses and assume nobody on the team knows how to lead.

What we do know is that Jose Reyes and David Wright are both very passionate players. You can tell when they fail that they get upset. That's all I need to know.

vCash
    Quote of the year right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Never, under any circumstance, stop rooting for the Mets. It's painful. It's unrewarding. It's downright torture. But it builds tremendous character - it makes the rest of life easy.
    No team looks "good", "gritty", or "fiery" when they are losing games. If the Mets start winning then that will lead everyone to start talking about what great fire and passion they have.... not the other way around.

vCash
    None of us know who is a leader and who is not because guess what. NONE OF US ARE IN THE CLUBHOUSE, NONE OF US SEE HOW THEY INTERACT WITH EACHOTHER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    None of us know who is a leader and who is not because guess what. NONE OF US ARE IN THE CLUBHOUSE, NONE OF US SEE HOW THEY INTERACT WITH EACHOTHER.
    Your right, but a true leader is a leader all of the time, and not only behind closed doors. The only guys that I can think of in the past 3 years that showed their leadership capabilities are Pedro and Franco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW View Post
    Your right, but a true leader is a leader all of the time, and not only behind closed doors. The only guys that I can think of in the past 3 years that showed their leadership capabilities are Pedro and Franco.
    How, exactly, did they show their leadership? I'm DYING to hear this...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie CCPBA View Post
    Put a C on Wright. He is the one who needs to be leading this team. He always defers to Delgado and sometimes Beltran which does nothing for the team. It might help with the direction of this team because they don't seem to all be on the same page.

They had a chance to rid themselves of that issue but they resigned Delgado.
    I agree about Wright and always have felt he should have been named Captain.

But you're actually still criticizing Delgado dude?

The guy has done nothing but tear the cover off the ball since June of last year. He's doing his job.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    We weren't in the clubhouse with Hernandez~ Carter or Knight but we new what they did because they did it in the dugout and on the field.
    And that is my point~ In the dugout and on the field........

Doing something behind closed doors is all good but it must be done in the dugout and on the field.....

vCash

Bulldooey...... A team can play with fire and passion and lose every night...
    A team can play gritty and lose every night so that is crap!!!!!!

My issue and if you can't see it then you never watched the leaders of the 86 Mets is there is no dugout on the field leader!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    We weren't in the clubhouse with Hernandez~ Carter or Knight but we new what they did because they did it in the dugout and on the field.

Doing something behind closed doors is all good but it must be done in the dugout and on the field.....
    What does that even mean?

You obviously have no clue. You're just typing to up your post count.

vCash
    Bulldooey...... A team can play with fire and passion and lose every night...
    A team can play gritty and lose every night so that is crap!!!!!!

My issue and if you can't see it then you never watched the leaders of the 86 Mets is there is no dugout on the field leader!!!!!!!!!

BS. When do you ever hear about teams being "gritty" when they are losing 4 out of 5 gms?

vCash

...and what did you see them do on the field that showed you they were great leaders?

Be rah rah when they were winning?

These Mets do the same thing.

Take curtain call after every homerun?

These Met do something similar in stupid hand shakes.

BTW that team did not like each other for the most part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast