Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Mets interested in Pudge?

Lennon of Newsday believes the Mets still remain very interested in free-agent C Ivan Rodriguez, ‘according to a person familiar with the team’s thinking.’

Lennon says the team is still concerned about Ramon Castro’s durability, and see Rodriguez as a better right-handed compliment to Brian Schneider.

Castro hit .245 with a .312 OBP in 52 games for the Mets last season, while spending two trips on the disabled list – he has not played in more than 52 games in a season since 2005.

Castro will be a free agent at the end of next season.

Meanwhile, Rodriguez will play for Puerto Rico in the WBC, alongside Carlos Delgado and Carlos Beltran.

According to Lennon, “If Rodriguez has a strong showing, the Mets’ pursuit could heat up quickly.”

In mid-February, Rodriguez told the Associated Press he might soon sign with the Marlins, Astros or Mets.

The next day, Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post said the Mets are not interested Rodriguez, and weren’t talking to him about a contract, according to a high-ranking team source.

Speaking of the WBC, check out Chris Guy’s preview for Mets Minor League Blog, where he looks at Mets players in the tournament, including 24–year-old 3B Shawn Bowman.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...tory?track=rss

aaaaaaaaaaaa w.e

He is a upgrade over Schneider. but we would first have to deal Castro and his 3mil salary. Can Pudge still throw guys out has he used to. He used to be a AMAZING defensive catcher is he still anywhere close to that? I think he would also be a good club house guy and he has world series experience. i can see the Marlins possibly be interested in Castro.

Already posted, but I don't see this happening. Unless he were to start for this team (and that would mean trading Schneider which I don't think is the right move) he is not a major improvement over Castro.
    [CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"][B][IMG]
    Visit ***************** for all your Mets news.
    johnnylee722 | MetsFan19 | dwright3b5 | jetsfan89 | Twinke Masta | ritz | MrSexy | jetsfan28

[LEFT][IMG]

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    Quite simply he's a bad catcher.

Stay THE ***** AWAY from that has been.:

Just heard on the FAN (Benigno & Roberts) that the Mets are looking to trade Castro, and are interested in bringing in Pudge for a back-up spot to Schneider.

I would take him over Castro anyday...he was having a good year until he got traded to the Yanks.

Thank Cubs Win for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by musclemenace View Post
    Just heard on the FAN (Benigno & Roberts) that the Mets are looking to trade Castro, and are interested in bringing in Pudge for a back-up spot to Schneider.
    They have been saying that for weeks now.

If they where really that interested in him they would have signed him already, I think all these rumors about him are a bunch of just that, rumors.

Minaya has also said he would like to trade Castro so Cancel can take over because he is a cheaper option then Castro and less of a injury risk. However no one wants Castro so we are stuck with him, no way we keep 3 catchers on the roster.

don't really know what to think of this. i doubt pudge is an every day player any more. if he is, he probably wont be a very good one.

then again, castro didn't start that much either. but, he (castro) has more upside. slightly more upside.

Not again.......
    Castro > Pudgy

enough of pudge rumors. Schni is a capable starter and Cancel or Castro will be good backups. i still think Rivera could be a dark horse too.

Welcome to the Future

Quote Originally Posted by MvpMets00 View Post
    They have been saying that for weeks now.

If they where really that interested in him they would have signed him already, I think all these rumors about him are a bunch of just that, rumors.

Minaya has also said he would like to trade Castro so Cancel can take over because he is a cheaper option then Castro and less of a injury risk. However no one wants Castro so we are stuck with him, no way we keep 3 catchers on the roster.

well, they used 3 catchers last yr and if jerry uses them right, as in castro is the righty bat for the bench, then it could work.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

no way should we get Pudge hes old. plus no one wants Castro
    UMASS in the NFL
    James Ihedigbo #44 New England Patriots
    Vladimir Ducasse #62 New York Jets
    Victor Cruz #80 New York Giants
    Jeremy Cain #48 Jacksonville Jaguars
    Matt Lawrence #32 Baltimore Ravens
    Jeremy Horne #11 Kansas City Chiefs
    Jeromy Miles #45 Cincinnati Bengals
    John Griffin #34 New York Jets
    Josh Samuda #64 Miami Dolphins
    Travis Tripuka #54 St. Louis Rams
    Julian Talley #3 New York Giants
    Emil Igwenagu #41 Philadelphia Eagles
    Chris Koepplin #2 New England Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by MilledgeGomez View Post
    no way should we get Pudge hes old. plus no one wants Castro

...and we have a capable back up in cancel.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

Ok, I'll chime in on this one.
    At a glace, Castro is a 35 year OLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD cather. Out of shape (unless you consider FAT a shape you want) and will not be a Met next year. Take into account that WITH Casto the Mets haven't won anything. Nothing. Castro doesn't scare any base runners. He has limited power and seldom can be used to PH because you can't PH with your catcher.
    Then, we have a HOF catcher, who, yes, his best years are behind him.
    That being said, Pudge has been to the promised land and is a better hitter than Castro. He is just as good a catcher. He runs much better than Castro.
    We trade Castro for a future player and sign Pudge at a reduced rate.
    Pudge is known to be a great clubhouse guy. He virtually LIFTED the Marlins on his back and willed them to a World Series victory.
    If Daniel Murphy is my left fielder and I have Tatis as my RH power bat off the bench then trading Castro now makes sense.
    There are teams who will want Castro.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast