Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What do you think of Iran getting nukes?

How do you guys feel if Iran were to get nukes? Do you think they pose any kind of threat to anyone? Do you think they would actually USE the nukes if they got them?

I know one of the media drums is about them wanting to blow Israel off the face of the earth, do you think this is true? Would they straight out attack Israel if they were to get nukes?

I personally see Iran as a pretty legit country, I can't imagine any scenario, outside of them being physically attacked by another POWERFUL military (not something like ISIS or Iraq), in which they would actually use nukes. I think they have way too much to lose to even threaten any kind of offensive attack with nukes.

I also think the whole Israel thing is blown out of proportion. They do not support the Israeli gov't, this is no secret. 90% of the world doesn't. However, I don't think that somehow means they want to nuke the country. I think they would rather a regime change there, and I don't think its an extreme view to have, we have the very same view on Iran, doesn't mean we're nuking them.

It also brings up an important point about countries being able to protect themselves. I think that while generally speaking the less countries that have nukes, the better it is for mankind as a whole, the fact is that there are countries which already have MASSIVE stockpiles of nukes, and its quite understandable why other countries would want to be able to want some type of weaponry they feel could protect themselves.

I know there is also another pov about them possibly falling into the wrong hands, but if Pakistan can have nukes and not have them fall into the wrong hands, I don't see how that could be of any concern regarding Iran. Clearly they are a top level security priority.

opinions? What is in the best for the US? What is in the best interest for Iran? What is in the best interest for the countries surrounding Iran?

*oh, one more question too. If Iran DID create a nuclear weapon, or on the brink of it, do you think this would be reasonable to start conducting preemptive military attacks?
    Last edited by nastynice; 03-08-2015 at 11:33 PM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Nuclear weapons are a real life representation of Pandora's Box. There is no way for us to actually remove them all from existence and yet we should do so. Something with that destructive power should be unequivocally illegal to make, possess, and especially use. But there is less than a zero percent chance that will ever be implemented.

I say this because I don't know how we can legitimately go after a group or government for pursuing the same weapons that we ourselves have in our arsenal. That won't stop us from doing it anyways, but I think our moral position is weak on it.

vCash
    Nuclear deterrence has a 100% success rate thus far. No nuclear-armed state has ever been attacked with nuclear weapons. I don't expect that to change.

Second, in 2010, Netanyahu excitedly exclaimed that Iran was only one(!!11) year from having nuclear weapons. He was wrong then, and he knew it. He's wrong now. It's still not even clear they're attempting to create nuclear weapons, let alone that they are anywhere near success at that endeavor.
    Zamboni DWI -- really.

vCash
    It's completely in their right to have them if Israel does. If Israel gets rid of theirs, then Iran has no reason for them. And don't give me, "Israel is in a tough backyard, they need to protect themselves". Everyone knows the US would protect Israel and bomb whoever attacks them back to the 1300s like they did with Iraq already.

vCash

What do you think of Iran getting nukes?

I wish no country had nukes, but that's not realistic. Iran would actually make a great ally. Their society is pretty similar to ours and most of their population is pro American. I'm in favor of negotiating with them.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    I wish no country had nukes, but that's not realistic. Iran would actually make a great ally. Their society is pretty similar to ours and most of their population is pro American. I'm in favor of negotiating with them.
    Iran is an uncomfortable ally of the US in the fight against ISIS, just as Syria is. This is if you accept the premise that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'm not so sure that it makes all that much of a difference though, it basically represents between choosing a two-sided or one-sided slaughter of innocent people. Iran does it, Syria does it, ISIS does it, and many other groups in the region do it. I think the people of the region are slightly better off if Syria and Iran are sidetracked a little bit in their bloody dismemberment of their citizens by ISIS quite frankly.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    All of you have posted my points on this and I am for them having whatever they want. I give them points for being at war only once in the last fifties some years, so they aren't aggressive in world affairs.

vCash
    A weak moral position? I'd say so and more. Here we are with all kinds of Nukes and we have the balls to tell another country they can't have them. We wonder why other countries hate America? Iran claims it has no intention to make Nukes with Enriched Uranium. Is it a lie? Probably. But we have to try to look at this from the Iranian perspective. Countries with Nukes generally get a lot more respect. So getting a Nuke isn't always for offensive purposes.

If I were running the country, I'd Immediately lift all sanctions on Iran and let them do what they will. I'd politely remind them that any aggression against Israel would result in a huge hole in the ground where Iran use to be. I'm a huge Teddy fan when he said "Walk quietly but carry a big stick"; and "Try to never hit. But if you must hit, never hit softly." We need to get back to treating people with respect, but making the consequences dire if any foolishness does arise.

vCash
    nuclear weapons are ****ing stupid

no country should have them yet every country wants them I guess

Non proliferation should be pursued and the removal of stockpiles should be sped up. There is no real reason any country or government should be able to wipe cities off the map with the push of a couple buttons.

Citizens suffering for the governments they don't have a whole lot of power over makes no sense at all.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

I'm just here so I won't get fined boss
    Marshawn Lynch #24

vCash
    I think it's none of our business what other nations do with their money. Kind of like I don't care if my neighbor down the block buys an assault rifle.

Signed,

A 4 tour US vet of OIF and OEF.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Should they have them? No. As others said, no one should. But no other country should have the power to stop them. Iran is not going to make a first strike against the U.S. or Israel. It would be a death sentence. It would be nothing more than a deterrent.
    "We'll never learn and nothing will ever change as long as we stay this course of followers and slaves. I can't believe we're still content reshuffling the same old decks of kings and queens and faux-democracies. I say we hand it back to the bull**** politicians."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    A weak moral position? I'd say so and more. Here we are with all kinds of Nukes and we have the balls to tell another country they can't have them. We wonder why other countries hate America? Iran claims it has no intention to make Nukes with Enriched Uranium. Is it a lie? Probably. But we have to try to look at this from the Iranian perspective. Countries with Nukes generally get a lot more respect. So getting a Nuke isn't always for offensive purposes.

If I were running the country, I'd Immediately lift all sanctions on Iran and let them do what they will. I'd politely remind them that any aggression against Israel would result in a huge hole in the ground where Iran use to be. I'm a huge Teddy fan when he said "Walk quietly but carry a big stick"; and "Try to never hit. But if you must hit, never hit softly." We need to get back to treating people with respect, but making the consequences dire if any foolishness does arise.
    Israeli and U.S. intelligence has said Iran wasn't making the actions necessary to make nuclear weapons. Mossad actually sent cables saying this right around the same time as Netanyahu was making his speech about how Iran was close.
    "We'll never learn and nothing will ever change as long as we stay this course of followers and slaves. I can't believe we're still content reshuffling the same old decks of kings and queens and faux-democracies. I say we hand it back to the bull**** politicians."