Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

12-year anniversary of the Iraq invasion

Twelve years ago today, we decided to invade the wrong country for the wrong reasons. Let's review how we got there for a moment, and think over what we can learn from it.

"Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof---the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud."
    ---George W. Bush (10/7/02)

"Weíre not going to have a bloodletting of trading American bodies for Iraqi bodies." "We will win this conflict. We will win it easily."
    ---John McCain (9/29/02 and 1/22/03)

"My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources. These are not assertions. What we're giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence."
    ---Colin Powell, United Nations Speech (2/5/03)

"Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us." ... "My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators."
    ---Dick Cheney (8/28/02) and (3/16/03)

"[T]he area in the south and the west and the north that coalition forces control is substantial. It happens not to be the area where weapons of mass destruction were dispersed. We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat."
    ---Donald Rumsfeld (3/30/03)

Ted Koppel: [Y]ouíre not suggesting that the rebuilding of Iraq is going to be done for $1.7 billion?
    Andrew Natsios [Agency for International Development]: Well, in terms of the American taxpayer's contribution, I do. This is it for the U.S.
    ---Nightline (4/23/03)

{ed note. 7 years later}

Martha Raddatz: Two-third of Americans say itís not worth fighting.
    Cheney: So?
    Martha Raddatz: So? You donít care what the American people think?
    Cheney: No.

{ed. note And finally, from one of my favorite political writers ever, the much-missed Molly Ivins}

"The United States, which insisted it could not give United Nations weapons inspectors so much as 10 days more to search, so dangerous were these WMDs, now says it needs months to find them. In the meantime, we are clearly being set up to put the whole issue of WMDs down the memory hole.

Maybe the American people can be brainwashed into forgetting why we supposedly went to war. Near as I can tell, our national memory span is down to about two weeks, and the media have been spectacularly unskeptical on this issue. But the rest of the world is not going to forget that WMDs were our primary reason for an unprovoked, pre-emptive war." -- Molly Ivins
    There in no political price to being dead wrong about the most important judgments a politician can make. None. As long as you are wrong in a belligerent direction, you're good.

Quotations from here, with original source links. For a much more detailed and comprehensive timeline, look here.

Finally, Molly Ivins was right. The lack of WMDs, the supposed justification for our invasion, has indeed gone "down the memory hole". Don't take my word for it: "Majority of Republicans believe U.S. found WMD in Iraq" The article is dated 2015. Mission Accomplished.
    ďIf we sacrifice our values because weíre afraid, we donít care about those values very much" -- Edward Snowden

vCash
    George bush has killed millions of innocent people, he is one of the biggest terrorists there is, and should be in prison, hes just as bad as hussein

vCash
    Heads up, many of the people who brought you the Iraq invasion are apart of Jeb Bush's foreign affairs advisory broad.

vCash
    And we've lost thousands of american lives and ten of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives, all for Iraq to be as worse off as ever. Traded Hussein and thousands upon thousands of lives on each side for ISIS. Yay.

They benched him [/CENTER]

vCash

12-year anniversary of the Iraq invasion

I guess Hilary has no chance then since she supported this bloodbath.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

vCash
    Seriously this should be in the political forum. I don't believe it's right or fair to spew your incredibly biased left wing agenda in the general discussions.

vCash
    Murca!

vCash

vCash
    Was dumb then and is even more dumb now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Seriously this should be in the political forum. I don't believe it's right or fair to spew your incredibly biased left wing agenda in the general discussions.
    As in, anybody who is pointing out how, which is a proven fact, that the Bush adminstration f'ed us and the middle east royally with the Iraq invasion, is a leftist? I think you are biased against the facts and indulging in name calling, which always clouds the issue.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-19-2015 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    I missed the invasion sadly, and from accounts from buddies who were there, I missed out on alot. I did four tours in support of OIF and one in support of OEF, and other than missing out on seasons of Giants/Warriors/Lakers/9ers, I don't regret a second of it. Especially when my disability check comes in the mail every month, a nice fat tax free check that I will see for the rest of my life. Life is good.

Everytime I see a moron who can't drive on the road, or anyone who is an oxygen thief in general, I say to myself, "I went to war for him? My comrades died because of that scrub? fml"...some people will never understand what takes, or means, and I think it's better that way, most of you don't deserve to in the first place, and all men are created equal, but shortly after birth we start making our own way through life, and I will die peaecefully knowing that despite my personal imperfections, I am better than 99% out there, and always will be, I proved my worth and honor years ago, nothing can take that from me, and no one can accomplish more, or an equivalent, without walking the same path us a chosen few dared take.

Ok, time to take off the veteran hat for now, time to work on my deliverables for my client.

Did I mention life is good?

*sips tea*

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blainer88:29747901
    George bush has killed millions of innocent people, he is one of the biggest terrorists there is, and should be in prison, hes just as bad as hussein
    And yet Bush, Cheney et all, walk the streets today as free men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    And yet Bush, Cheney et all, walk the streets today as free men.
    Obama too

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    I missed the invasion sadly, and from accounts from buddies who were there, I missed out on alot. I did four tours in support of OIF and one in support of OEF, and other than missing out on seasons of Giants/Warriors/Lakers/9ers, I don't regret a second of it. Especially when my disability check comes in the mail every month, a nice fat tax free check that I will see for the rest of my life. Life is good.

Everytime I see a moron who can't drive on the road, or anyone who is an oxygen thief in general, I say to myself, "I went to war for him? My comrades died because of that scrub? fml"...some people will never understand what takes, or means, and I think it's better that way, most of you don't deserve to in the first place, and all men are created equal, but shortly after birth we start making our own way through life, and I will die peaecefully knowing that despite my personal imperfections, I am better than 99% out there, and always will be, I proved my worth and honor years ago, nothing can take that from me, and no one can accomplish more, or an equivalent, without walking the same path us a chosen few dared take.

Ok, time to take off the veteran hat for now, time to work on my deliverables for my client.

Did I mention life is good?

*sips tea*
    How could life be so good when there's that psychopath out there who's traumatizing you by picking your garbage at 5 am? I mean, if I were you, I'd be waiting for 'em and when they show up, throw a couple of war stories at 'em, so they learn just how peaceful the mornings are when you're out there fighting the terrorists.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    How could life be so good when there's that psychopath out there who's traumatizing you by picking your garbage at 5 am? I mean, if I were you, I'd be waiting for 'em and when they show up, throw a couple of war stories at 'em, so they learn just how peaceful the mornings are when you're out there fighting the terrorists.
    I should do that, but it would require crawling out of bed to do so. Tax payers like myself need our beauty sleep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast