Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Keystone pipeline re-emerges as political football: Landrieu, GOP rival call for vote

The lame-duck Congress has been in session a matter of hours, and the Keystone pipeline already is a political football.

Democratic Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu, facing a tough runoff election next month, on Wednesday called for a vote on a bill approving the long-delayed project -- in an apparent bid to flex her clout on Capitol Hill.

Moments later, her GOP challenger Rep. Bill Cassidy answered back by calling for a vote on a similar measure in the House.

The back-and-forth amounts to a continuation of their bitter Senate campaign, with one of the most controversial energy projects in America caught in the middle. The TransCanada-built pipeline, which would cross over an aquifer in Nebraska, has been held up for six years by environmental and other concerns. The Obama administration, under pressure from environmental groups, repeatedly has ordered reviews by the State Department.

Landrieu, who is thought to be trailing Cassidy ahead of their Dec. 6 runoff election, wants to deliver a win for the energy industry by pushing Keystone. The measure, which could be voted on Thursday, was one she co-sponsored with Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., back in May.

We can pass the Keystone pipeline and answer the frustrations of the American people, she said. So they could rest next and say, oh my gosh the senators of the United States of America have ears and they have brains and they have hearts and they heard what we said and we can do this.

But the timing immediately raised Republican suspicions.

Cassidy noted that the House has passed pro-Keystone legislation eight times, and "the Senate did not consider any of the eight." After Landrieu called for a vote, Cassidy and GOP leaders in the House said they would also vote Thursday on a Cassidy-authored Keystone bill.

"I hope the Senate and the president do the right thing and pass this legislation creating thousands of jobs," Cassidy said in a statement. "After six years, its time to build."

The legislative tug-of-war came a day after aides first said that Senate Democrats were considering bringing the pipeline to a vote in order to boost Landrieu ahead of the runoff election. (The two rivals are heading to a runoff because neither got more than 50 percent of the vote last week.) The pipeline is a popular project in oil industry-heavy Louisiana, and Landrieu has touted her support of the pipeline and her tenure as chairwoman of the Senate energy committee in her campaign.

On the Senate floor on Wednesday, Landrieu insisted she was not trying to gain political points, and said she didnt even care if her name stayed on the bill.

I didnt come here to see my name in lights, she said. I came to fight for jobs for my state.

She also seemed to take credit for Cassidy's House bill, calling it "identical" to the legislation she co-sponsored.

Senate Republicans have pushed for the project to be approved for years, and backers of the project got a major win after Republicans took control of the Senate.

Landrieu is facing a tough battle to keep her job after nearly 20 years in office. A Real Clear Politics average of recent polls has the senator trailing her rival by nearly 5 points ahead of the election on Dec. 6.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...sumes-session/

vCash
    Landrieu is going to lose regardless. The keystone pipeline isn't going to hinge on saving a single democratic senator that is just dumb. But Fox News and the GOP do love their scandals.

vCash
    Who cares?

It'll eventually get built and will destroy a **** ton of land.

'Murrica!

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Landrieu is going to lose regardless. The keystone pipeline isn't going to hinge on saving a single democratic senator that is just dumb. But Fox News and the GOP do love their scandals.
    Yes, this is a GOP/Fox News scandal! when it was Landrieu who went onto the Senate floor to introduce the bill that will be voted on next Tuesday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Yes, this is a GOP/Fox News scandal! when it was Landrieu who went onto the Senate floor to introduce the bill that will be voted on next Tuesday.
    Last I checked she was still a senator. What's the problem? Fox News is trying to spin this like Obama is going to approve this just to save her job which is hysterical.

vCash
    How come she didn't introduce this the last 6 years she was a senator? How come she didn't call on Harry Reid to introduce the bill the House passed 5-6 months ago? This is pure politics on her part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post
    Who cares?

It'll eventually get built and will destroy a **** ton of land.

'Murrica!
    Yeah because only America has pipelines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Yeah, because we should be incredibly irresponsible with our land because other countries are!

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    And that means it wont destroy the environment? kk

vCash
    Is this even something we'd benefit from? I thought I remember reading that this pipeline would only net 50 permanent jobs and that we wouldn't even benefit from the oil since it's being pumped to Mexico and shipped to other countries. Can someone clarify if that's right or not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    Is this even something we'd benefit from? I thought I remember reading that this pipeline would only net 50 permanent jobs and that we wouldn't even benefit from the oil since it's being pumped to Mexico and shipped to other countries. Can someone clarify if that's right or not?
    Here's a map of the proposed expansion with the inlet and outlets in the graphic. From my understanding, the extracted tar sand oil would be refined down in the gulf area (Texas and LA) , then introduced onto the open global crude market.

Last edited by Jester4k0; 11-14-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    Offseason To Do List:
    1. Make an offseason to do list.
    2. Get some tips on the ladies from Clark the Cub.
    3. P90X with Prince Fielder.
    4. Compile top ten list of top ten G.O.A.T. top ten lists.

That Ain't No Bat. That A Kickstand!

vCash
    Thanks. I wonder how significant the benefits will be by not using the current pipeline, sans the expansion in Texas of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    Thanks. I wonder how significant the benefits will be by not using the current pipeline, sans the expansion in Texas of course.
    I can only figure that the oil would be transported a shorter distance on the XL path to the junction in Steele City----a more direct route, essentially.

Obviously, the "old" route would be in service while the XL portion is built. I just can't figure out why it branches off out into Illinois. Maybe, expected "future" expansion out to the Atlantic?
    Offseason To Do List:
    1. Make an offseason to do list.
    2. Get some tips on the ladies from Clark the Cub.
    3. P90X with Prince Fielder.
    4. Compile top ten list of top ten G.O.A.T. top ten lists.

That Ain't No Bat. That A Kickstand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester4k0 View Post
    I can only figure that the oil would be transported a shorter distance on the XL path to the junction in Steele City----a more direct route, essentially.

Obviously, the "old" route would be in service while the XL portion is built. I just can't figure out why it branches off out into Illinois. Maybe, expected "future" expansion out to the Atlantic?
    Illinois has refining capacity. We lack refining capacity.

vCash
    It might just be politics and not about economics. Right now, the price of crude oil on the open market is substantially below the break even point to refine the medium that would be "flowing" through the pipeline.

This has happened in the proposed ports for the export of natural gas and slows the export of that product.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast