1. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

1 100.00%
    vCash

Does the gov't even lift?

http://startingstrength.com/article/...vernment_style

Mark Rippetoe says no. What do you think, is this group just lining there own pockets? Are they useless? Is it typical?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Typical of what the government considers "Helping us".

This will be followed by another government sponsored study refuting everything in the article.

I can't believe that anyone believes we still buy this crap from the great, benevolent overseers of our well being....
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject"

Unknown

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/article/...vernment_style

Mark Rippetoe says no. What do you think, is this group just lining there own pockets? Are they useless? Is it typical?
    Did you go to the website or did you just read the critique? I'm pretty sure all the elderly folks in my life either can't do what Mr. Rippetoe (really he has ripped toes?) or don't have the tons of disposable income for the private trainer it would take to do it. This is clearly a puff piece for his gym. Can my grandma clean and Jerk? No. (Insert GILF joke) Is this guy probably a Jerk? Yes.
    Last edited by flips333; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    Typical of what the government considers "Helping us".

This will be followed by another government sponsored study refuting everything in the article.

I can't believe that anyone believes we still buy this crap from the great, benevolent overseers of our well being....
    So you know alot of 70 year olds who power lift? Did you even go to the actual website instead of reading the ad that this guy wrote for his?

vCash
    Yes I did, I'll stand by my comment.

It won't be right for everyone but I think that there is some validity to his opinion on the matter....
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject"

Unknown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Did you go to the website or did you just read the critique? I'm pretty sure all the elderly folks in my life either can't do what Mr. Rippetoe (really he has ripped toes?) or don't have the tons of disposable income for the private trainer it would take to do it. This is clearly a puff piece for his gym. Can my grandma clean and Jerk? No. (Insert GILF joke) Is this guy probably a Jerk? Yes.
    why would you need a private trainer? He is a guy that knows what he is talking about. Is the piece tilted towards his starting strength program being the best thing for everyone? Probably. Does he know a hell of a a lot more about fitness then either of a us? Yes, and he i also think he has a point. Do you think this institute serves a purpose? Do you think it has help more people be healthy then Mark's books and videos?
    Last edited by ewing; Yesterday at 05:10 PM.

vCash
    why would you need a private trainer?
    He is a guy that knows what he is talking about. Is the piece tilted towards his starting strength program being the best thing for everyone? Probably.
    Does he know a hell of a a lot more about fitness then either of a us? Yes, and he i also think he has a point. Do you think this institute serves a purpose?
    Do you think it has help more people be healthy then Mark's books and videos?
    Did you see his pictures? Yes they have trainers in them. Fat elderly people can't do that. If you are going to create something nationally non-for-profit for fitness you are gonna make something that is doable by everyone. You will make something that people won't hurt themselves if they try at home. You don't think people hurt themselves trying to follow book based exercises that are more advanced than they are capable? I wouldn't deny that this is too pedestrian for a minority of senior citizens... But those folks don't need help exercising now do they? They have Mr Rip-pa-toe.

His piece is advertising. There is no doubt. No probably. ZERO.

Does he know more about fitness than either of us... Sure. Does he know more about fitness that academics who study it... Probably not.

Does an institute in the NIH serve a purpose? Really? OK https://www.nia.nih.gov/about

Does an institute in the NIH help more people than a guy shilling his Gym. Hell yes. NIA is one of the leading institutes in stem cell research. Good god... Go4Life probably has helped more elderly people than this barbell guy. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27387264 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24485546

vCash
    Did you see his pictures? Yes they have trainers in them. Fat elderly people can't do that. If you are going to create something nationally non-for-profit for fitness you are gonna make something that is doable by everyone. You will make something that people won't hurt themselves if they try at home. You don't think people hurt themselves trying to follow book based exercises that are more advanced than they are capable? I wouldn't deny that this is too pedestrian for a minority of senior citizens... But those folks don't need help exercising now do they? They have Mr Rip-pa-toe.

His piece is advertising. There is no doubt. No probably. ZERO.

Does he know more about fitness than either of us... Sure. Does he know more about fitness that academics who study it... Probably not.

Does an institute in the NIH serve a purpose? Really? OK https://www.nia.nih.gov/about

Does an institute in the NIH help more people than a guy shilling his Gym. Hell yes. NIA is one of the leading institutes in stem cell research. Good god... Go4Life probably has helped more elderly people than this barbell guy. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27387264 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24485546

If what you can not get hurt while training you will not improve. you are calling this guy a shill while defending people who recommend horseback riding and sailing as exercise. you're bias toward academia is showing (not to mention your epidermis)

vCash
    If what you can not get hurt while training you will not improve. you are calling this guy a shill while defending people who recommend horseback riding and sailing as exercise. you're bias toward academia is showing (not to mention your epidermis)
    So I have to risk injury to improve? That's stupid.

My skin? That's what epidermis means.

OK. Do you not think that sailing and horseback riding are exercise?

Yes i am biased towards evidence based decisions. Ya got me there.

I shrug. Go tell your grandma she needs some power lifting in her life. And don't worry about that altzheimers cause I'm sure mister rippatoe is gonna have that stem cell treatment for her all worked out.

vCash
    So I have to risk injury to improve? That's stupid.

My skin? That's what epidermis means.

OK. Do you not think that sailing and horseback riding are exercise?

Yes i am biased towards evidence based decisions. Ya got me there.

I shrug. Go tell your grandma she needs some power lifting in her life. And don't worry about that altzheimers cause I'm sure mister rippatoe is gonna have that stem cell treatment for her all worked out.

Sorry

vCash
    Sorry
    Never be sorry ewing. NEVER.