Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

IRS Says Official's Emails Were Lost in Computer Crash

WASHINGTON—The Internal Revenue Service said a former official's 2011 computer crash significantly hampered its efforts to dig up correspondence requested as part of a congressional review of the agency's treatment of conservative groups.

The IRS said it is providing more emails to lawmakers and is doing its best to reconstruct correspondence from the former executive, Lois Lerner, who retired as the controversy unfolded last year. Its effort, which has included searching email of other senders and recipients, resulted in an additional 24,000 emails that are being provided to lawmakers, the agency said in a summary of its actions.

House Republicans investigating the IRS controversy reacted unhappily to the news of Ms. Lerner's computer crash.

"The fact that I am just learning about this, over a year into the investigation, is completely unacceptable and now calls into question the credibility of the IRS's response to congressional inquiries," House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R., Mich.) said. "There needs to be an immediate investigation and forensic audit by the Justice Department as well as the inspector general."

Mr. Camp said the IRS couldn't provide Lerner emails to and from people outside the agency, "conveniently" feeding the impression she "acted alone." He called for an administration-wide search for her emails. House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa (R., Calif.) said, "If there wasn't nefarious conduct that went much higher than Lois Lerner in the IRS targeting scandal, why are they playing these games?"

Ms. Lerner herself unsuccessfully tried to get agency technicians to reconstruct her hard drive at the time it crashed, the IRS said.

Ms. Lerner is a former head of the agency's exempt-organizations division. The House of Representatives recently voted to hold her in contempt of Congress after she declined to testify at hearings and cited her Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.

She has said she did nothing wrong in connection with conservative tea-party groups' applications for tax-exempt status. Many of the applications were subjected to heightened scrutiny starting in 2010, at a time when nonprofit groups were becoming more politically active in elections.

Congressional Democrats have argued that some liberal groups eventually were caught up in the IRS net as well.

In a statement, the IRS said that it has made "unprecedented efforts" to comply with congressional demands for documents and information concerning the targeting. The effort has involved more than 250 IRS employees working more than 120,000 hours at a cost of almost $10 million.

Counting information already provided, "investigators have—or will soon have—a total of 67,000 emails sent or received by Ms. Lerner," the IRS said.

The agency added that it is working with Congress and "has remained focused on being thorough and responding as quickly as possible to the wide-ranging requests from Congress while taking steps to protect underlying taxpayer information."
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/irs-p...obe-1402684543

Anyone actually believe this?

vCash
    "Ms. Lerner herself unsuccessfully tried to get agency technicians to reconstruct her hard drive at the time it crashed, the IRS said."

So, why did it take over a year for her/IRS to say something if they knew about it back when it crashed?

vCash
    As someone who works in IT, this is BS. Her hard drive crashing wouldn't have caused emails to be lost. If the mail server crashed, then this would be legit. The only way that this would have any legitimacy if is she archived emails on her laptop.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    LOL...

So here's the question that needs to be asked. Do they back anything up? I mean I work for Fidelity and we have all of our files sent to a 3rd party storage facility - both digital and hard copies - if the IRS isn't doing this would ANON please just wipe out all of their records and let us all get on with not paying federal taxes on our income every year? I mean seriously if their record keeping is this crappy then someone should just wipe out all of the IRS records at once.

Of course this story is a load of bullcrap... but if it's true then the IRS is teetering on the brink of destruction every second of every day.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

vCash
    One more reason among many that most government agencies have zero credibility.

And we want more regulation? More government intervention? We must be insane....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash
    Interesting. This is about par with the 'dog ate my homework' as an excuse. But no one seems to care.

I wonder if the 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome is the reason. The GOP has cried scandal over and over again, and at some point reasonable people are going to turn them off. At that point, it doesn't matter if the scandal is a scandal or not, it come across as 'politics as usual'. Don't know if that is what's happening here, but it seems a reasonable explanation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    Interesting. This is about par with the 'dog ate my homework' as an excuse. But no one seems to care.

I wonder if the 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome is the reason. The GOP has cried scandal over and over again, and at some point reasonable people are going to turn them off. At that point, it doesn't matter if the scandal is a scandal or not, it come across as 'politics as usual'. Don't know if that is what's happening here, but it seems a reasonable explanation.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't have anything to do with the politics as usual for the GOP or anything like the Boy who Cried Wolf.

Look at how active this forum is, look at how active most political forums are, the vast majority of the people in this country do not care about any of this crap until it hits them in the face.

If you asked 100 people who Lois Lerner was how many would be able to tell you?

The truth is the citizens are by and large totally asleep at the wheel as it pertains to everything going on. Those who are actually discussing politics in any way are a rare breed. Most people are too into BS like sports and hollywood to give a crap about what's happening with anything.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post

Couple things.

1. The IRS announced this at 5 PM on a Friday afternoon (Fathers day weekend) even though they "knew" about it back when it happened. Oh, and there's another big thing going on right now (Iraq)

2. It's way too early to say what you're saying. I'm guessing this story gets more steam next week when the White House has it's media briefing etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Couple things.

1. The IRS announced this at 5 PM on a Friday afternoon (Fathers day weekend) even though they "knew" about it back when it happened. Oh, and there's another big thing going on right now (Iraq)

2. It's way too early to say what you're saying. I'm guessing this story gets more steam next week when the White House has it's media briefing etc.
    you may be right. I missed the 5 pm on a Friday thing. I am sure the Fox guys will make a big thing about it at the briefing. Be interesting to see what the White House has to say. I would expect something along the lines of 'Ask the IRS, it is their computer' or refer it to someone to investigate. Be interesting to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    As someone who works in IT, this is BS. Her hard drive crashing wouldn't have caused emails to be lost. If the mail server crashed, then this would be legit. The only way that this would have any legitimacy if is she archived emails on her laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    LOL...

So here's the question that needs to be asked. Do they back anything up? I mean I work for Fidelity and we have all of our files sent to a 3rd party storage facility - both digital and hard copies - if the IRS isn't doing this would ANON please just wipe out all of their records and let us all get on with not paying federal taxes on our income every year? I mean seriously if their record keeping is this crappy then someone should just wipe out all of the IRS records at once.

Of course this story is a load of bullcrap... but if it's true then the IRS is teetering on the brink of destruction every second of every day.
    The whole thing is disgusting.

The fact that any part of our government can blatantly lie is pathetic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    The whole thing is disgusting.

The fact that any part of our government can blatantly lie is pathetic.
    They're not lying, they simply miscalibrated their response.

Get with the times, lol.....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash
    I wasn't even really all that surprised

absolute power corrupts absolutely or um

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Lord Acton

These folks get in these jobs and feel a sense of entitlement with little sense of service it seems. They probably also know at the end of the day a very small percentage of them would ever be tried or charged even if they were caught doing something wrong.

They know they rule and there isn't much we're going to be able to do about it, they are above us so don't dare hold them to a fair standard or accountable. It's exactly backwards situation, these folks answer to us but all we end up doing is working hard paying taxes and funding their ******** policies or enacting some legislation to enrich donors and their ilk

It's ****ing disgusting and I would hope we can look at all this and freely admit we are one of if not the most corrupt political institutions on the planet.
    Last edited by Randy West; 06-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post

It's ****ing disgusting and I would hope we can look at all this and freely admit we are one of if not the most corrupt political institutions on the planet.
    Like George Carlin always said this country was bought and paid for a long time ago. The game and rules have been rigged in such a way that all the average joe can do is just try to hang on for the ride.

vCash

Congressman asks NSA to provide metadata for “lost” IRS e-mails

Representative Steve Stockman (R-TX) has sent a formal letter to the National Security Agency asking it to hand over “all its metadata” on the e-mail accounts of a former division director at the Internal Revenue Service.

“Your prompt cooperation in this matter will be greatly appreciated and will help establish how IRS and other personnel violated rights protected by the First Amendment,” Stockman wrote on Friday.

The request came hours after the IRS told a congressional committee that it had “lost” all of the former IRS Exempt Organizations division director’s e-mails between January 2009 and April 2011.

The IRS has been under investigation since 2013, when the tax agency revealed that it selectively targeted political groups applying for tax-exempt status, particularly those with conservative and “Tea Party” leanings and later those with liberal and “Occupy”-related names.

“The fact that I am just learning about this, over a year into the investigation, is completely unacceptable and now calls into question the credibility of the IRS’s response to Congressional inquiries,” said Dave Camp (R-MI), chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, in a statement also on Friday. “There needs to be an immediate investigation and forensic audit by Department of Justice as well as the Inspector General.”

Neither the NSA nor Rep. Stockman’s office immediately responded to Ars’ request for comment.
    Source: ArsTechnica.com
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Are they going to get busted by their own snooping agency?

-John Madden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast