Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on gun control/use?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guns should be banned across the board. Only law enforcement and military use allowed

3 7.69%
  • Gun laws should be more reasonable, responsible gun ownership makes for a safer society

22 56.41%
  • Laws need to be more strict: the more guns on the streets, the more violence

12 30.77%
  • There is literally no reason to possess a firearm, even for police, look at the UK

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Question The Gun Thread: Where do you stand?

Labgrownmangoat was spewing some atrocities in another thread that made me realize, that this is still a huge topic in society, and will continue to be until we can think objectively and without emotion as a society.

Where do you stand on Gun control/use?

My personal stance is probably a little different than others, I am a war vet, and am of the bleif that most (not all) service members and law enforcement officers are responsible gun owners. You can fit some hunters and general enthusiasts in that mix as well. (Shoutout to the NRA!)
    Why I bring that up is that it's easy for me to justify myself owning a firearm, and it's harder for me to put myself in the shoes of the average civilian, due to my training, and overall exposure to firearms for several years of my life on a daily basis.

I believe the 2nd ammendment gives us the right to bear arms, and bear those arms to defend our lives, property, and family, against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I believe responsible gun ownership can be taught, and can be learned by anyone. I believe people from many walks of life can own a gun, and can find a good reason to own one.

I believe expecting the police to show up at your door to protect you in a timely manner infallible is an unrealistic expectation, and I believe that forbidding me to possess a firearm is an infringement upon my rights.

for the ADD riddled, attention deficit hampered individuals out there: TL;DR -> "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

What say you!? (Aragorns voice)

Barry Lamar Bonds: The GOAT - 162 Game Averages = .298/.444/.607 IBB 37 ISO .309 OWn% .815 BABIP .285 wOBA .435 wRC+ .173
    Career Total WAR 164.4

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Kovalev/Gonzalez/Rigondeaux/Fury/Ward/Alvarez/Brook/Bradley/Lomachenko

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

I learned to shoot at a pretty young age (about 8) so it's hard for me to put myself into the shoes of people - many whom I know personally - that don't understand and are terrified of firearms. I sympathize with such a fear, but I don't think it's a rational thing for a grown adult to have. Just like being unable to drive stick shift it's kind of pathetic, made worse by their shrill refusal to entertain any other viewpoint than their own at times.

As far as gun control, I think that talking about eliminating civilian ownership in this country is so far removed from reality that it just can't be discussed. You can print guns off a computer now - we're stuck with it. It's the other nations who have cultivated docile populaces who will have to deal with increased ownership of deadly weapons.

I do think there should be more stringent requirements for handguns and Saturday night specials, and background checks for all purchases from licensed dealers. I can see the day (in our 1984 future) where background checks extend to ammunition purchases as well, but at the moment that's sort of burdensome.

How come there's no status quo is fine vote
    After week 1 2015:
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Its debatable within our fan base just how much Kaepernick's improved, and if it will be sustained or not, but what no one has had the nerve to say is that he hasn't improved at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    He isn't improved at all

Mixed.

I have never owned a gun. I have never even touched a gun -- though I did have a BB gun once for a few months. I have no idea why anyone would want a gun, but...

it seems reasonable that responsible adults should be able to own them. Not sure about semi-automatic weapons, why does anyone need one?

Just not my thing. Cant relate -- just like drinking beer. I get nothing out of guns or beer.

Ian. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I learned to shoot at a pretty young age (about 8) so it's hard for me to put myself into the shoes of people - many whom I know personally - that don't understand and are terrified of firearms. I sympathize with such a fear, but I don't think it's a rational thing for a grown adult to have. Just like being unable to drive stick shift it's kind of pathetic, made worse by their shrill refusal to entertain any other viewpoint than their own at times.

As far as gun control, I think that talking about eliminating civilian ownership in this country is so far removed from reality that it just can't be discussed. You can print guns off a computer now - we're stuck with it. It's the other nations who have cultivated docile populaces who will have to deal with increased ownership of deadly weapons.

I do think there should be more stringent requirements for handguns and Saturday night specials, and background checks for all purchases from licensed dealers. I can see the day (in our 1984 future) where background checks extend to ammunition purchases as well, but at the moment that's sort of burdensome.
    I agree with literally everything said in this post.

Ian. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Mixed.

I have never owned a gun. I have never even touched a gun -- though I did have a BB gun once for a few months. I have no idea why anyone would want a gun, but...

it seems reasonable that responsible adults should be able to own them. Not sure about semi-automatic weapons, why does anyone need one?

Just not my thing. Cant relate -- just like drinking beer. I get nothing out of guns or beer.
    What kind of man are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian. View Post
    What kind of man are you?
    Got me a truck, a knife, a 5th of bourbon, and a naked young lady in my hot tub. Now tell me if I need a gun.

Got me a truck, a knife, a 5th of bourbon, and a naked young lady in my hot tub. Now tell me if I need a gun.
    I bet that lady would find you more attractive if you had one. It means you have a bigger ****.

Batman says no guns. Good enough for me.

When the dead start walking, you'll be complaining that you should have gotten that gun.

Not a gun guy.

I believe the Bill of Rights is an old piece of paper that needs to be updated. The world has changed. We live in an uncomfortably gun happy country. I was raised with guns, ive seen what guns can do. Yes, people make the guns go boom, but the gun was created to go boom. In this country, with so many people carrying guns because of protection or paranoia, I understand why we do have them, but I do wish we could at least try to steer away from them. Owning an AR is a right of yours, but should you? A hobby? Owning a non hunting rifle because you like having them is what I call insane.

I do not worship that piece of paper, because worshipping an idea, which that paper is based on, is scary. I stay in the middle. Never agreeing with either side of this topic because I like to hear every aspect. These people that drive 'Merica into your brain have the same mindset as any other radical group, non violent or violent. They idolize an idea. They worship this idea that this country was built by good men, no, it wasnt. They were greedy slave owners that slaughtered Native Americans. And if you worship that piece of paper, base your thought process on it, well, that 2nd Amendment is open to interpretation. Its not precise enough to say what your right is, being it says "militia". Who knows what that means in their eyes. Sorry for the essay, Ive read every book I could get my hands on about this country, guess it came out.

Ian. Guest
    I stand corrected.

I see no reason why anyone needs a gun
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Labgrownmangoat was spewing some atrocities in another thread that made me realize, that this is still a huge topic in society, and will continue to be until we can think objectively and without emotion as a society.

Where do you stand on Gun control/use?

My personal stance is probably a little different than others, I am a war vet, and am of the bleif that most (not all) service members and law enforcement officers are responsible gun owners. You can fit some hunters and general enthusiasts in that mix as well. (Shoutout to the NRA!)
    Why I bring that up is that it's easy for me to justify myself owning a firearm, and it's harder for me to put myself in the shoes of the average civilian, due to my training, and overall exposure to firearms for several years of my life on a daily basis.

I believe the 2nd ammendment gives us the right to bear arms, and bear those arms to defend our lives, property, and family, against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I believe responsible gun ownership can be taught, and can be learned by anyone. I believe people from many walks of life can own a gun, and can find a good reason to own one.

I believe expecting the police to show up at your door to protect you in a timely manner infallible is an unrealistic expectation, and I believe that forbidding me to possess a firearm is an infringement upon my rights.

for the ADD riddled, attention deficit hampered individuals out there: TL;DR -> "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

What say you!? (Aragorns voice)
    Couldn't agree more man

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast