Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Debate: was Richard Nixon great or terrible?

I personally think he was a great president that accomplished a lot- fought for racial and gender equality, opened diplomatic relations with China, ended the draft, established the EPA, and eliminated a lot of the national debt in a very short period. Il'm such a fan that I wear a richard nixon mask for video entries in my blog: http://sshfoma.weebly.com

So go ahead and chime in! Which side of the fence are you on with President Nixon?

vCash
    The real question would be, was he a great president who did some terrible things, or, was he a terrible president who did some great things. While I tend to the second interpretation, I do not deny some of the good things.

As the contents of the tapes are coming out, his flaws are becoming far more focused.

I will also add that he was a smart man who did some really stupid things.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    JMO, and an emotional one at that, but Nixon was the Prince of ing Darkness.

vCash

Nixon by Nixon: In His Own Words

Saw this teaser for a new HBO documentary on Nixon. No surprise to me, Nixon is actually worse than people think. Here is the link to the article.

How bad a president was Richard Nixon?

On the 40th anniversary of his resignation, a new documentary takes a fresh look at the Nixon tapes to make the case that the already vilified 37th president was not as bad as you may think. ... He was worse.

"The most interesting thing that the American people aren't aware of is the kind of the dirty tricks he pulled on those good events, the things he would hold up as great achievements," said Peter Kunhardt, the director and producer of "Nixon by Nixon: In His Own Words," which debuts Monday on HBO.

"When you begin hearing the behind-the-scenes maneuvering to make those great achievements happen, they were as dirty as the Watergate episode," he continued.

Ken Hughes, the author of a new book about Nixon, "Chasing Shadows," joined Kunhardt for an interview with "Top Line" and said that one of the most shocking recent revelations about Nixon is that he intentionally prolonged the war in Vietnam for political gain.

"He realized if Saigon fell before Election Day 1972, it would take his chances of a second term down with it," Hughes said. "You can hear him discussing that in his keeping the war going, sending more Americans to fight and some to die; and it's for political reasons."

The documentary lays out which aides to Nixon were aware they were being recorded and those who were unaware. Among those who were unaware: Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

"There is I think an extra degree of openness and candor with the people who don't know they are being taped," Hughes said. "Henry Kissinger clearly did not know he was being taped and was very angry about being taped."

Though Kissinger stayed loyal to Nixon until the end, Kunhardt said, the film demonstrates the "awkward position" that Kissinger navigated in his dealings with the "thin-skinned" president.

"He was put in this awkward position of having to be kind of a 'yes man,' and at the same time do his hugely important job at the same time," Kunhardt said.

In one recording featured in the film, Nixon can be heard asking an aide to have Kissinger's phone lines bugged after it's believed the then-secretary of state talked to a reporter without the White House's permission.

"When you watch Nixon turn on him and let his own suspicions and paranoia question Kissinger and whether they're on the same page, you feel sorry for the guy," Kunhardt said of Kissinger. "You realize that Nixon was all about what he believed in, and if you veered of course, you were kind of left to the side."

vCash
    He was a terrible person, and a terrible person who occasionally did something good. I'm again with cab on this one. I think we need deep examinations of our presidents like this for each of them. Maybe it will help educate people before we elect the kinds of degenerates we've been electing to the WH for decades.

vCash
    It boils down to this for me, the guy violated the trust of the nation. For me it kind of casts a shadow over his political acheivements, just my two cents.

Kind of the same with me for Clinton except maybe on a somewhat lesser level.

I just can't tolerate habitual liars.....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash
    He was a traitor, that's what he was.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...iminal-traitor

Sorry Indyfan, should have read your post before posting.
    Last edited by anarcho_punk17; 08-08-2014 at 12:00 AM.

vCash
    Nixon is responsible for EPA, OSHA, EEOC, ESA, and the ever growing army of federal regulators that are not constrained by the Constitution or anyone else. He is by far the Biggest of the Big Government Presidents.

Nixon was a choirboy compared to Barry. He became "paranoid" because he had so many enemies. He had so many enemies because of Helen Gahagan Douglas and Alger Hiss. Wage/price control policy and War on Drugs are two of the biggest failures in recent history.