Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

49ers Use Robotic Tackling Dummies, Unclear How They Tell Them Apart from Players

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2...o-exhibitions/

The 49ers have introduced three robotic tackling dummies into practice, and although coach Chip Kelly and several players hailed the helpful technology, one player wants no part of it. That would be linebacker NaVorro Bowman, the NFL’s leading tackler last season.

“I don’t want to (tackle them),” Bowman said with a laugh. “One guy tried and it didn’t turn out to well for him. He tried to tackle the robot and it tackled him.”

It’s not just defenders who can use the padded, robotic dummies to work on technique. Offensive linemen performed cut blocks on the $8,000 Mobile Virtual Player dummies Tuesday. “I like the concept of them, and I didn’t realize they’d be so quick,” center Daniel Kilgore said. “It’s great, the technology they’re using for us here.” Five other teams have the MVP dummies that were dreamed up by Buddy Teevens, the former Stanford and current Dartmouth coach.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

I've seen the video, the damn things can move if they turn them up. I'm not sure they're much safer than normal tackling.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I've seen the video, the damn things can move if they turn them up. I'm not sure they're much safer than normal tackling.
    I just want to see Terry Tate's commercial redone with one or something.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I just want to see Terry Tate's commercial redone with one or something.
    I think they're goofy, but I can see the appeal in some situations like interior line blocking drills to prevent injuries. I mean, 6 teams using them in some capacity, might be useful.

49ers Use Robotic Tackling Dummies, Unclear How They Tell Them Apart from Players

They may actually be able to crack our defense on game days lol

I for one welcome our new tackling dummie overlords.

Aren't these the same things that they used on hard knocks with the Rams?

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Aren't these the same things that they used on hard knocks with the Rams?
    The Raiders, Rams, Ravens, Panthers and Steelers have been practicing with the mobile dummies this summer.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san...#storylink=cpy

Pretty interesting. I could see some good uses for it. I guess it all depends on how they are being used because they still can't come close to replicating all the things a human can do on the field.

Marcus Mariota