Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,207
    vCash
    1500

    Bad news if you live in Kansas

    http://www.kmbc.com/money/18725251/detail.html

    TOPEKA, Kan. -- Kansas is suspending income tax refunds and may not be able to pay its employees on time.

    The state is strapped for cash in its main bank account. Republican legislative leaders blocked an effort by Democratic Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to transfer funds into the account.

    Sebelius wanted to move $225 million from other accounts throughout state government, allowing the state to pay its bills. That move requires approval of legislative leaders, and Republicans balked.

    Now Budget Director Duane Goossen said he's not sure the state can meet its payroll. State employees are due to be paid again Friday.

    GOP leaders want Sebelius to sign a bill making $326 million in adjustments to the budget for the fiscal year that ends June 30.

    Legislators approved that bill last week, but it has not reached her desk
    Other related links:

    http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/fe...nds-may-miss-/

    http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/story/701750.html



    What the hell? This is getting bad.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    9,701
    vCash
    1500
    Nice.

    Stimulus to the rescue!
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Nice.

    Stimulus to the rescue!
    Yup. A small state like Kansas should be getting around 200-250 million dollars in federal aid.

    It's a good thing Obama's signing off on it tomorrow morning.

    Thanks DD for getting a good example of why we need state aid. See, you can find legit news. It's not all conspiracy garbage.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    9,701
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Yup. A small state like Kansas should be getting around 200-250 million dollars in federal aid.

    It's a good thing Obama's signing off on it tomorrow morning.

    Thanks DD for getting a good example of why we need state aid. See, you can find legit news. It's not all conspiracy garbage.
    Exactly. It's another reason why it was so critical that this got passed last week. Because, any further delay could be very costly on the other side of the issue.

    I second that "thanks," too. Good dig Doomsday.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,022
    vCash
    1500
    Kansas isn't the only one, Cali's still there. I bet even with the stimulus, the people recieve IOU's on their tax refunds.


    Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    491
    vCash
    1500
    Just saw this on CNN, and yep, we're (CA) doing this, too.

    Sheeeit, our senators are sleeping overnight to try and get our trashed budget done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6,076
    vCash
    1500
    question!!!

    about this part:

    Now Budget Director Duane Goossen said he's not sure the state can meet its payroll
    does anyone know what happens when a state "can't meet it's payroll"???

    do we kick them out of the country or something...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    491
    vCash
    1500
    No, they don't pay their employees as they lay them off. State offices just close.

    But I know you were making a joke and probably knew that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6,076
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by enserio View Post
    No, they don't pay their employees as they lay them off. State offices just close.

    But I know you were making a joke and probably knew that.
    I was trying to be sarcastic and serious at the same time...

    let me rephrase the question in a more serious way...

    what were to happen if a state goes broke/in debt/ect and shuts down all government funded businesses???

    complete anarchy/martial law/chaos/ect...???

    it seems to me that at some point in time Obama would put his foot down and not allow it...

    I mean...what is the WORST POSSIBLE CASE SENERIO???

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -PRIMETIME- View Post
    I was trying to be sarcastic and serious at the same time...

    let me rephrase the question in a more serious way...

    what were to happen if a state goes broke/in debt/ect and shuts down all government funded businesses???

    complete anarchy/martial law/chaos/ect...???

    it seems to me that at some point in time Obama would put his foot down and not allow it...

    I mean...what is the WORST POSSIBLE CASE SENERIO???
    Thus the bailout package.

    If a state really runs out of money, it can start issuing state-versions of T-Bills.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,317
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -PRIMETIME- View Post
    question!!!

    about this part:


    does anyone know what happens when a state "can't meet it's payroll"???

    do we kick them out of the country or something...
    I dont think a state can be kicked out, but i dont think we have a provision for what happens.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •