Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Blackhawks and Penguins Discussing Blockbuster Trade?

Ive been talking about this and it makes soooo much sense

It was reported on ESPN 1000 in Chicago that the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks are discussing a trade that would send forward Martin Havlat to Pittsburgh for center Jordan Staal.

There had been discussions last week that the Blackhawks were trying to get an extension done with Havlat but there has not been any news of progress in those talks.

This trade is interesting in that it might solve problems that both teams have in their top six forwards. The Blackhawks are not content with their current center situation that has Kris Versteeg, normally a wing, playing the second line center position and having no center (besides Jonathan Toews) that is good in the face off dot.

Staal would provide the Blackhawks with that second line center that they desperately need, not from a points perspective, but from a face off and defensive perspective.

Staal is a natural center unlike Versteeg and would be a much needed improvement in the face off circle as he boasts a 47.6 face off percentage, more than four percent more than Versteeg and Bolland.

The Penguins are in need of a top six winger who can play with Sidney Crosby, who has been paired with the likes of Mirosav Satan and Ruslan Fedetenko. I think Martin Havlat would be a perfect fit for Crosby as he is a play-maker with soft hands and a great scoring touch.

Could Martin Havlat be this year's Marian Hossa for the Penguins? No but Havlat is a high-skill player and he could provide a similar spark to the Penguins first line that Hossa provided.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ckbuster-trade
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 02-12-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    The more I think about this deal the more I think it makes sense. The Hawks will make it into the playoffs this season but arent expected to go all the way. They are built to win championship(s) in the next couple of seasons. Adding Staal would solidify that 2nd line center. havlat will be replaced with kyle Beach who will is going to be a stud on that top line with Toews and kane. On the 2nd line we'd have Sharp/Staal/Versteeg. Then ya got Ladd/Bolland/Buff on the 3rd line. Its just sick. lets not forget about Aliu and Skille neither. One of those forwards will be able to replace Havlat. Also, Staal may even be better than Toews with the right guys surrounding him.

I see more value with Staal on this team than Havlat.

Staal will be making 3.5 million in 09/10 and 10/11 and then 4.5 million in 11/12 and 12/13

DALE, MAKE THIS DEAL HAPPEN!!!!!!
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 02-12-2009 at 03:15 PM.

vCash
    Well I think we need a second line center badly and I have mixed feelings for this one. In the end...I would say pull the trigger. Here are my reasons why.

1. We get a second line center who can score and is also responsible in his own zone

2. Staal is signed to a great contract. 4 years at 4 million per is great.

3. Staal's contract hit this year is only 2.2 million while Havlat's is 6, which means we could acquire a winger who has an equivalent to a 3.8 million dollar salary.

4. Staal's numbers would be better on the Blackhawks. He is behind Crosby and Malkin with the Pens...who can blame him?

5. Who really knows what Havlat wants or what we could sign him for?

6. Havlat is injury prone, Staal so far is not and has great size.

Those are my reasons for why, in the end, I think I would pull the trigger on this deal. Only if we would be able to get some help on wing this year with that money we free up.

vCash
    Staal does has great size but needs to use it more.

Its possible the Pens may want Havlat to a long term deal too. Is it possible we may see a sign and trade?

vCash
    If this trade goes down, it still is possible that Havlat could sign here in the off season. Although, thats probably unlikely. I really have mixed emotions about this trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    If this trade goes down, it still is possible that Havlat could sign here in the off season. Although, thats probably unlikely. I really have mixed emotions about this trade.
    they wont be able to afford him. Staal isnt a rent a player. hes going to be locked up for 4 years at a good price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    they wont be able to afford him. Staal isnt a rent a player. hes going to be locked up for 4 years at a good price.
    Sure we have enough room. IIRC, I saw somewhere that we only have like 35 million committed to next year. Maybe I am wrong but I could have sworn that I saw something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Sure we have enough room. IIRC, I saw somewhere that we only have like 35 million committed to next year. Maybe I am wrong but I could have sworn that I saw something like that.
    thats becaus ehalf the team isnt going to be under contract

5 UFA's
    9 RFA's
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 02-12-2009 at 04:16 PM.

vCash
    5 UFA's and 9 UFA's doesnt make sense...im guessing you meant to put a RFA in there somewhere?

Also, I dont think the pens would do a deal like this unless Havlat was signed. So the whole entire "Havlat in the summer coming back to Chicago" wouldnt happen most likely

vCash
    The only reason I'm ok with losing Havlat at this point (without knowing a ton about Staal) is that Havlat seems to be a contract year player. This is the first year he's been healthy AKA not been a pansy and effective. If i remember correctly, he played well in his contract year for Ottawa before we forked over the big bucks. He's fooled us once, lets not let him fool us twice. I'd be ok with getting bigger and younger and more balanced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    5 UFA's and 9 UFA's doesnt make sense...im guessing you meant to put a RFA in there somewhere?

Also, I dont think the pens would do a deal like this unless Havlat was signed. So the whole entire "Havlat in the summer coming back to Chicago" wouldnt happen most likely
    I meant 9 RFA's

Compare David Bolland on the hawks 3rd line to Staal on the Pens 3rd line and Bolland blows him away. Im not sure if we already have our 2nd line center in David Bolland.

vCash
    Bolland is not a second line center in my eyes. He is a great third line center and is effective against the other teams top lines. He has really benefited from playing with Havlat this year, and he is doing great.

Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE bolland fan and love what he is doing, I just don't see him ever getting that big scoring touch like he had in Juniors

vCash
    Bolland is not a second line center in my eyes. He is a great third line center and is effective against the other teams top lines. He has really benefited from playing with Havlat this year, and he is doing great.

Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE bolland fan and love what he is doing, I just don't see him ever getting that big scoring touch like he had in Juniors
    Well if hes on the 2nd line hell play with a guy like Havlat and I believe Satan plays with Staal. Staal and Bolland are both playing third line duties against the other team's best players. Bolland has 3 more points and is a +17 to Staal's -5 all while averaging 4 less minutes a game. Are you saying Staal is and Bolland isnt?
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 02-12-2009 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    Staal is and Bolland isn't what? Confused by your question there

vCash
    Staal is and Bolland isn't what? Confused by your question there
    A 2nd line center

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast