Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serby's Sunday Q & A with David Wright

The Post's Steve Serby chatted with the three-time All-Star third baseman about the hated Phillies, the Mets' outlook for '09, his stand on steroids and much more.

Q: Cole Hamels saying the Mets choked?

A: It's one of those things where I feel if you talk the talk, you better walk the walk, and he's done that. Those guys (Phillies) are defending champs; as much as I don't like those guys, I respect them. Until we prove we can beat those guys, they can talk all they want.

Q: Why don't you like them?

A: I don't think they like us; in return, we don't like them. When you play a team so many times, you develop that kind of tension, especially when our fans are as intense as they are and their fans are the same.

Q: How do the Mets get over that psychological hurdle?

A: We have to find a way to finish strong and play our best baseball when we need to play our best baseball. We haven't been able to do that. That's the hurdle we need to find a way to get over. I think we have a mentally tough team and Jerry (Manuel) is a mentally tough manager. I don't see that being a big hurdle.

Q: Why do you say this is a mentally tough team?

A: I think we've been put through the grinder pretty good the last couple of years. . . . I think we can become tougher for what we've been through. Most importantly, we can learn a lesson.

Q: Is this team ready for a breakthrough?

A: I believe so. I think with the guys we've added, along with some of the younger guys making names for themselves, and what the core guys have been through the last couple of years, that we need to be ready and will be ready.

Q: World Series guarantee?

A: We're gonna go out there and talk with our gloves and bats. I'm not gonna get involved in the Who's-The-Team-To-Beat? This year (chuckles).

Q: What kind of 2009 team should Mets fans expect?

A: We're gonna go out there and kinda keep what has happened the last couple of years in the back of our minds to push us to play consistent baseball from start to finish. We're gonna be focused and we're gonna be ready.

Q: How long did it take you to get over last year's collapse?

A: I'm still not over it - I'm still not over 2006. I think that fuels the fire.

Q: Citi Field?

A: Can't wait. I've worked out there this winter. Not only is it a beautiful place and a new home, but I think it allows us to kinda have a fresh start and leave the memories we've had the last couple of years at Shea and kinda start over.

Q: You've never been tempted by steroids?

A: No, never. I was never tempted to try any drugs.

Q: You've never used drugs?

A: No, sir.

Q: You're a rare bird.

A: My father (a police officer) was pretty strict . . . obviously I follow rules . . . I follow the law . . . but I enjoy doing the things normal 26-year-olds enjoy doing.

Q: You never felt pressure to stay on top?

A: I feel the pressure, but when I feel the pressure, it makes me work harder. Pressure to me is what I put on myself.

Q: Advice to kids on steroids?

A: It's a shortcut. . . . It's a quick fix. I'm no doctor, but from what I've read, there's some pretty significant side effects and things that could affect you after your baseball career. When I put my head on my pillow after my career's over, I want to tell myself I became the best player I possibly could doing things the right way.

Q: The chances of David Wright being on the List of 104?

A: Zero.

Q: Mets captain?

A: Leadership is something that has to be earned. To be considered a leader is something that your teammates kinda bestow upon you. So if I have the respect of my teammates, and I feel comfortable - which I do - going up to anyone and saying, "Let's try to do this better," I think that's more important than a title. Would it be an honor? Absolutely. But that's something that I think your teammates kinda decide and choose who they follow.

Q: K-Rod?

A: He (Francisco Rodriguez) has the best slider in the game. He can throw that in any count. He's won a World Series. He knows what it takes. He's a guy who just locks it down come the ninth inning.

Q: J.J. Putz?

A: Great guy. I went out to dinner with him in New York. A competitor, and a guy that wants the ball when the game's on the line. When you have two of the top closers in baseball pitching the eighth and ninth inning for your team, that's a great thing.

Q: Manny Ramirez?

A: Somebody asked me, "Do you like Manny as a player?" There's not much to dislike about him. He's a guy that hits, and I enjoy watching him hit. I like our team moving forward.

Q: Jerry Manuel?

A: He's kind of the best of both worlds. He can joke around and he can kick you in the butt. He gets you going.

Q: How does he motivate?

A: Whether it's Johan (Santana), one of the best players in baseball, or the 25th man on the roster, he's not afraid to put his arm around you or light a fire if you need a fire lit under you. His door's wide open. If you want to talk about anything, he's willing to talk.

Q: Double-dating with David Lee?

A: He is far more recognizable than me. I think with the way he's playing this year, and you go out with an NBA power forward, he kinda draws most of the attention.

Q: Does he talk baseball with you?

A: He's a big Cardinals fan, being from St. Louis. . . . I want to shoot some free throws at the Garden.

Q: Has he tried BP?

A: I'm gonna definitely get him out there this year and see what that big frame can do (chuckles).

Q: Living in NYC?

A: I love it! I love the energy. I love the excitement. There's no place like it.

Q: Any privacy issues?

A: It's always just a handshake, or they ask me, "How's Jerry?" Or, "How's Johan?" It's never intrusive. It's always, for the most part, pretty positive. It's fun.

Q: Offseason training change?

A: We definitely did a little work on (increasing) explosiveness this year.

Q: What's it like being David Wright?

A: A blast. I wouldn't trade places with anybody.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/02152009...292.htm?page=0

Figured I'd give you guys some stuff to read. Always love watching/reading interviews with David.
    Props to MetsLegacy

This guy needs two things:

1. a big C on his jersey.

2. a ten year extension, he is the face of our franchise

Haha, does anyone give a better interview than David Wright?

Can't help but love the fact that we have guys like him on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by championmets View Post

Couldn't agree more.

Funny how David Lee said the same thing about david wright lol
    LETS GO KNICKS!!!

he's the heir apparent in terms of being captain...but he needs to prove it first

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY

Thankfully, when the Mets signed him to the long term extension through his arb years, it also went through the next 2 years after that, plus an extra club option year, so he's signed for 2013. Luckily for us, just like the Cardinals with Pujols, Wright is underpaid. Which means come 2011 or so, they'll probably be able to redo his contract and he'll get more money while they keep him for more years. Plus, he seems to like New York. So Wright will be here for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan28 View Post
    Thankfully, when the Mets signed him to the long term extension through his arb years, it also went through the next 2 years after that, plus an extra club option year, so he's signed for 2013. Luckily for us, just like the Cardinals with Pujols, Wright is underpaid. Which means come 2011 or so, they'll probably be able to redo his contract and he'll get more money while they keep him for more years. Plus, he seems to like New York. So Wright will be here for a long, long time.

I hope he spends his career here!

we need to keep Wright away from these NBA players!

Wright is doing just fine he just has to realize what he is doing is enough and help the players around him get better

x3

I have a man crush

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Haha, does anyone give a better interview than David Wright?

Can't help but love the fact that we have guys like him on our team.

i love this kid but yes there is 1 other player that i know of that gives a better interview. jeter, i can't believe i just brought him up but damn he's a good interview.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

Quote Originally Posted by Maine's the man View Post
    x3

I have a man crush
    +1

I was listening to a local radio show and one of the hosts is a Mets fan. He was talking about how he and his wife have a rule that if they ever met the celebrity they like and could have sex with them they'd get a free pass. Then he said that's why he acts all funny when David Wright comes around. Haha
    Props to MetsLegacy

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan28 View Post
    heres a question, will reyes be here a long long time as well?
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    heres a question, will reyes be here a long long time as well?
    Probably...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast