Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakersrock View Post
    I hope it bites them in the butt and it doesn't get passed. No way could you read that many pages and understand everything in 10 hours. It just isn't possible. To then vote on something you haven't read and understand is just crazy. This is why Pelosi-Reid need kicked out. All they care about is their agenda and getting it passed. I want what will fix America. Voting on something they don't know about isn't the way to do it.

(...and it's not just Pelosi and Reid that need kicked out, but they're the ringleaders.)
    Boehner and McConnell need to be dumped as well. All the Congressional leaders really seem like they have nothing better to do than stick their tongues out at each other.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    But BMD, you'd call it a Republican Congress, right? The reason that Republicans don't like saying Democratic Congress is because that sounds like a good thing. Who wouldn't want a Congress that acts democratically. But by saying Democrat Congress they're trying to insinuate political control as a bad thing.
    No to me if I said a democratic congress means that it's the actual congress it gives no meaning to who's in charge.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    No to me if I said a democratic congress means that it's the actual congress it gives no meaning to who's in charge.
    I understand you didn't intend any malice, I was just pointing out that there is a slur associated by it.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    That's why you say "Democratic Congress" instead of "democratic Congress". It's the name of the party.

What it is - and I agree w/ everyone that I don't think it was intentional on your part - is equivalent to saying, for example, "the republic national convention" instead of "the Republican National Convention". It's mistaken English.

Except in the case of Bush (who used it very often) and many other Republicans, it's a mistake they make deliberately to throw out a cheap, underhanded insult at the Democratic Party.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    A single one is called a democrat.

A group is called "democrats"

But "democrat party" for some reason is a slur. I don't get it. But that's how it's interpreted.

vCash
    Because they are intentionally misspeaking in order to insult. The omission of the -IC from the mother****ing PROPER NAME, the "DemocratIC Party" is deliberate and meant as a jab.

What's so difficult about that to understand? It's totally ****ing obvious! And you obviously understand the difference between a noun and an adjective, so I won't insult your intelligence by trying to explain it to you, but the clue is in your own post ("is called ____")

But if you want more explanations, here you go. Read, and learn:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/012199.php
    http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...talk_hertzberg
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012402469.html
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/2/1/212536/7288
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112101223.html
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200608160005

For all intents and purposes, it's pretty much the same as if those on the left were calling the GOP "the Republifukker Party". It's just a shot, nothing more. And although it's mistaken English, it is NO mistake - it's intentional.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Because they are intentionally misspeaking in order to insult. The omission of the -IC from the mother****ing PROPER NAME, the "DemocratIC Party" is deliberate and meant as a jab.
    I've done it before...and I didn't mean anything by it.

While it is used as an insult, it can be an honest mistake sometimes.

And saying something like "That was a democratic idea" or "that was a democratic program" sounds a bit odd. "That was a democrat idea" and "That was a democrat program" sounds better to me for some reason. It seems to make sense to separate the party from the system of government in sentences such as those.
    Last edited by gcoll; 02-14-2009 at 01:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    I've done it before...and I didn't mean anything by it.

While it is used as an insult, it can be an honest mistake sometimes.
    Yes, it can, as I believe it was in this thread title.

But make no mistake: The reason it's getting easier and easier for people to make this "honest mistake" is that the people who do want the term out there in use have done an effective job of popularizing it through repetition on the airwaves and in other public appearances (see the media matters link above). Watch any Republican speak on C-SPAN or any other channel where they're interviewed. Take note of whether they refer to it as the "democrat" or "Democratic" party. And do the same with Democrats. The pattern is clear: We don't use the former to refer to ourselves, only those on the right do.

Like this, from a year ago:

February 28, 2008, 6:06 pm
    McCain References ‘Democrat Party’

Laura Meckler reports from Texas on the presidential race.

John McCain goes out of his way to say he will treat his opponents with respect, but just how much does McCain really respect Democrats?

For decades, Republicans have rubbed Democrats the wrong way by dropping the “ic” from the “Democratic Party.” In their telling, it becomes the “Democrat Party,” along with “Democrat Congress,” “Democrat opponents” and the like.

The political slur got particular attention in 2006 when President Bush used it regularly on the campaign trail for the midterm elections. In his 2007 State of the Union speech, Bush muddied his gracious congratulations to the opposing party by congratulating the new “Democrat majority,” despite the fact that his prepared text called for him to say “Democratic majority.”

Given McCain’s reputation for reaching across the aisle and his daily pledge to treat Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton with respect, Washington Wire was a little surprised to hear McCain using the same language.

“One thing I’m not any good at predicting is the outcome of Democrat elections,” he said Tuesday aboard his bus, dubbed the Straight Talk Express. A day earlier, he had mentioned his “Democrat friends” to a Cleveland-area audience.

Asked aboard his bus about the “ic,” he replied, “I’m sorry, I usually say Democratic. They prefer Democratic, so I try to say Democratic… It offends some members of their party, so I’ll say Democratic if that’s what makes them feel better.”

But his resolve didn’t last long. Later on that same ride, he was talking about his annoyance that Democrats take credit for the improving situation in Iraq. “To say, as Sen. Obama has said, that it’s because of the Democrat majority that we have experienced success in Iraq, that’s just beyond comprehension.”

At times, he does say “Democratic,” but the alternate usage is not unusual. On Wednesday, he preceded another round of Obama criticism with, “I did not watch the Democrat debate last night, but …”

The usage goes way back, but according to the Columbia Guide to Standard English, Republicans are wrong to use the phrase “Democrat Party.” The guide reports that the phrase was used “with particular virulence” by the late senator Wisconsin Republican Joseph R. McCarthy who “sought by repeatedly calling it the Democrat party to deny it any possible benefit of the suggestion that it might also be democratic.”
    washingtonwire

So when Obama seeks to instill an air of civility in Washington, this is what he's up against: A GOP that stubbornly persists in childish name-calling.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    “One thing I’m not any good at predicting is the outcome of Democrat elections,” he said Tuesday aboard his bus, dubbed the Straight Talk Express. A day earlier, he had mentioned his “Democrat friends” to a Cleveland-area audience.
    ----This is one of the sentences I was talking about....when I edited my last post.

If he referred to "Democratic elections" it wouldn't be clear what he was talking about. When he uses Democrat....you know he's talking about the party.

vCash
    some of you ladies really got your panties in a bunch about the proper use of the word democrat

im sure its purely a coincidence that they try to make this thread into something about people attacking the democratIC party, instead of the topic on hand which is some scummy demo stuff goin on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    some of you ladies really got your panties in a bunch about the proper use of the word democrat

im sure its purely a coincidence that they try to make this thread into something about people attacking the democratIC party, instead of the topic on hand which is some scummy demo stuff goin on.
    Well, let's get it back on topic.

Republicans kept out of conference, and basically shut out from the entire process of getting the bill together, and you have too little time to read the thing.

Thoughts?

vCash
    ----This is one of the sentences I was talking about....when I edited my last post.

If he referred to "Democratic elections" it wouldn't be clear what he was talking about. When he uses Democrat....you know he's talking about the party.
    Well, I see what you're saying in that particular example, if you're looking purely at the linguistic aspect, although in the context of the question I don't think anybody could possibly mistake that he was talking about the Democratic primaries and not, say, "democratic elections" in Guatemala or something. And in fact I'd go so far as to say that I'm not even sure if McCain's use of the term was intentional or just kind of got through to the hardwiring of his system by default of living and working within the GOP culture. He was openly aware and apologetic about his use of the term, after all. It's just party line dogma now: "Thou shalt not give the opposition the respect of calling them by their proper name."

=========================

And cambo, you are just blind and deaf if you can't pick up on what this is all about.

"Ladies". "Panties". "democrat party." All the same kind of childish insults, so it's no surprise when we hear more of the same. Whatever. Any post that opens with an insult is a post that doesn't merit a genuine answer from me, though.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Well, let's get it back on topic.

Republicans kept out of conference, and basically shut out from the entire process of getting the bill together, and you have too little time to read the thing.

Thoughts?
    I understand that they wanted it pushed through immediately. But Pelosi's power-hungry right now and I agree that she definitely kept them out for a reason.

This could have been handled much better.

With that said, I still don't think the vote would have turned out any different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    With that said, I still don't think the vote would have turned out any different.
    That was my same thought when I just now saw on CNN a Republican Representative complaining on the floor about the length of the bill and how they didn't have time to read the whole thing: Well, even if you had, it's not like you would have voted for it anyways - or more accurately, it's not like you would have even entertained the possibility of voting for it - so your "outrage" rings a little bit hollow, even if your complaint is valid.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Why should they entertain the notion of voting for it? There's absolutely no consequence either way.

And voting no let's you reclaim some of your conservatism. It's kind of hard to claim to be a conservative if you were a "yes man" to a giant Democratic spending bill. (I almost said democrat).

so your "outrage" rings a little bit hollow, even if your complaint is valid.
    The only thing that I get annoyed by in this whole thing, is the "Be bipartisan!!" stuff directed at the Republicans. It's a two way street, and the democrats didn't let them in on this one. Why should they just take that? "Bipartisanship" to me means working together, not simply voting together.
    Last edited by gcoll; 02-14-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast