Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    To all of you who think that Washington, Lincoln, and FDR are not the three greatest presidents, well, you are entitled to your opinions but when looking for guidence in this question I first went to the ever available Wikipedia where I found the following:

I then realized that those of you of the GOP persuasion might find that the general findings in Wiki suspect or that C-SPAN might have a liberal bias, so I went to that bastion of conservatism, the Wall Street Journal. It in conjunction with the conservative Federalist Society ranked the Presidents as follows:

Great:

1. Washington
    2. Lincoln
    3. FDR

The second tier or Near Great are listed as:
    4. Thomas Jefferson
    5. Theodore Roosevelt
    6. Andrew Jackson
    7. Harry Truman
    8. Ronald Reagan
    9. Dwight Eisenhower
    10. James Polk
    11. Woodrow Wilson

A special note to BMD, the Federalist Society with the Wall Street Journal List Nixon as below average at 33.

This survey was taken in 2000 so George W Bush was not included
    I love the WSJ, but from 2000, on and every year since and going forward Nixon gets more popular. People shrug off the Watergate, and look more at the basis of the issues as distance passes. He's more remembered for ending the Vietnam war then Watergate now. And regardless of that, his water gate does dilute, but my point is with every passing year now 9 years from that article water gate his main drag down gets less and less weight.

Andrew Jackson shouldn't be that high in my opinion. I mean on the party scale, yea he beats out Bill Clinton, but other than color me unimpressed.

Now if you go with greatest slogan for a president, that has to go to the first Governor of Indiana William Henry Harrison. Tippecanoe and Tyler too. That's awesome to this day.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    no question its chester author

vCash
    A comment about FDR. I acknowledge his greatness as a leader....but I've always liked Churchill more. I hope that doesn't make me a traitor, but FDR was way too friendly with Stalin. Used to call him "Uncle Joe" wtf?

And we should have been involved in WW2 way earlier than we were.

It's usually acknowledged that the "holy trinity" of presidents is; Washington / Lincoln / FDR as Cabernet pointed out.

But..I love me some Teddy Roosevelt. I haven't seen many people mention him. He's a bad ***. He was blinded in a boxing match....while in office.

Also...he got shot....and then still gave his speech.
    Last edited by gcoll; 02-11-2009 at 11:57 PM.

vCash
    Traitor.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Bush did exactly what Reagan did do!

Reagan raised taxes more times than any president in my lifetime. http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_b...0310290853.asp
    The NRO (yes, that NRO) reports that Reagan raised taxes every single year of his tenure except for 1988!

And spending? Reagan jacked up spending to record highs.
    He increased Federal spending by 25% in real dollars over the levels that Jimmy Carter had brought it up to.
    He increased the number of non-defense workers on federal payroll from 2.8M to 3.0M.

Ironically, "big government" Bill Clinton cut the federal payroll back down to 2.68M, and shrank federal spending down to just 18.3% of GDP.

There are plenty of reasons to like Ronald Reagan, but if you like him for cutting spending and taxes, you're thinking of the wrong guy.
    Actually Reagan cut more taxes, if I recall correctly it was Bush senior who was criticized for raising them.

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Thanks jrice.

And, Cubs -- you did say that FDR never came "nearly as close" as Reagan to sweeping the EC. I'd say that's a pretty lame argument. It was a one state difference.

And, technically FDR came closer on a much broader level. The combined state EV that Roosevelt lost was 8 (Maine 5, New Hampshire 3), whereas Reagan's was 10 (Minnesota).

FDR also took 60.8% of the national popular vote whereas Reagan took 58.8%.

Although it's all moot (they were both incredibly dominate elections) -- to argue that Reagan's 1984 victory was much more impressive than FDR's in 1936 simply based on the fact that Reagan took all but one state and Roosevelt took all but two is kind of silly.

And, it was only close in two states for Roosevelt -- New Hampshire had under a 2% vote differential -- Kansas was the next closest at 7.5 (Alf Landon's home state). Maine was certainly an outlier.

There were far more states in play with Reagan. While he only lost Minnesota by < 0.25%, it was close in Massachusetts (2.8%), Rhode Island (3.7%), Maryland (5.5%), Pennsylvania (7.4%), and Iowa (7.4%).

By looking at the states that were technically "in play" it would appear that Roosevelt had the more dominate election.
    The demographics were also different back then, just about every state in the south refused to vote for a Republican if I recall correctly. Reagan won with no such advantages.

vCash
    im not really sure who the best was. Wasnt alive for regan... didnt care for either of the bush's, and clinton was able to take advantage of the booming dot com industry. Ron paul is my ideal candidate. The less gov. the better everyone is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream View Post
    im not really sure who the best was. Wasnt alive for regan... didnt care for either of the bush's, and clinton was able to take advantage of the booming dot com industry. Ron paul is my ideal candidate. The less gov. the better everyone is.
    Libertarian

vCash
    I can understand being libertarian...but I will never understand Ron Paul worship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    I can understand being libertarian...but I will never understand Ron Paul worship.
    Me niether

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    Actually Reagan cut more taxes, if I recall correctly it was Bush senior who was criticized for raising them.
    Your word against history.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    The demographics were also different back then, just about every state in the south refused to vote for a Republican if I recall correctly. Reagan won with no such advantages.
    And until Clinton, states like Vermont had never gone Democrat.

So Reagan did hold some advantages as well if you're going to look at it that way.

Honestly, demographics shift back and forth. End outcome is still the same.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    In other words, you refuse to admit you were wrong about "To top it off Roosevelt never came nearly as close to sweeping the electoral college as Reagan did".

Big deal, you said something incorrect. Own up to it and move on. This argument just makes you look desperate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream View Post
    I love me a candidate who's basic message is burn it all down. Burn it all down.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Your word against history.
    I'm not going against it, I just know he wasn't criticized for it. I remember my parents getting pissed when Bush senior gave in and raised taxes, but don't remember any such thing from Reagan, I am not denying he did, but if he did he knew when to do it and when not to, unlike Bush.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast