Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who is the greatest President of all time and of each century?

Just curious what you guys think since you are of both spectrums and know your stuff. And regarding my century questions the 2000's dont count obviously

vCash
    1700's: Well theres only two to pick from... So, more than likely more people would choose George Washington, although John Adams wasn't bad.

1800's: I'm partial to Thomas Jefferson, since I've always loved him as President. But Lincoln is probably the better choice.

1900: It'd be between the Roosevelts (I'm not a Reagan conservative so he's not the top), but FDR would have to be the best bringing us out of the Depression and also fighting in the war. All while having Polio.

vCash
    GW because he's historic

1800's probably TJ

1900's that's a tie between Nixon and Sir Ronald Magnus

2000's Dick Cheney

vCash
    1700s - George Washington (how could he not be?)
    1800s - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by SmthBluCitrus; 02-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    1700s - George Washington (how could he not be?)
    1800s - Abraham Lincoln

1900s -
    Ditto what she said, in fact all three are really beyond compare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    GW because he's historic

1800's probably TJ

1900's that's a tie between Nixon and Sir Ronald Magnus

2000's Dick Cheney
    1700's Washington

1800's Licoln

1900's Reagan

2000's Bush/Cheney

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    Clinton is the best of the 2000's for the entertainment factor and yes I know bush won in 2000 but clinton was still in power till early 2001 lol.

Anyway there seems to be a very big conflict between democrats and republicans on the raegan/ rooselvent dispute just curious since I am a big FDR guy why raegan was better?

vCash
    My criteria for great presidential leadership has a little to do with one's ability to endure through tremendous hardship or unmitigated/unprecedented circumstances (among other things). With that said my GREATEST three are:

George Washington - He set the precedent. Had no political party. Was the first in this great experiment we know as democracy and could not have done it better. Just imagine if the first was a complete failure or a total dud. The man put down a rebellion while he was POTUS. Not the army or navy or the militia. It was Washington! Yeah BHO might be the second coming of christ but let's see him do that. I'm joking but yeah will the real G-W please stand up.

Abraham Lincoln - He held the union together. Was the most eloquent, most cited, the "realest" and the next trend-setter. Lincoln set a new mark, a new standard that all presidents after him have and will always be measured against. Lincoln is the pH test...are you + or - Lincoln.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt - This cat was elected 4 times. 4 times! We needed an amendment so "he" doesn't happen again. He lead the country during the Great Depression. This span of time may have been the most trying during our entire history. Ever! He was a fiery individual who did not let his disability hinder his ability to lead. Hate or love the New Deal and many of his pro-social policies his agenda opened the door for the giant stretch of growth the country began to experience. FDR was also a big accountability guy. Again argue if you like but he wanted to do something to fix the problems of the country during an extremely trying time.

NOW - Bush vs. Obama

I had high hopes for Bush. September 11, 2001 could have been the catalyst for the guy to be put in the category of the greats. Maybe history will be more favorable than I. We'll see.

Barack Hussein Obama - Again we'll see but because of what he means to so many and the unprecedented circumstances he's in I have high hopes. BHO don't disappoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanbear View Post
    My criteria for great presidential leadership has a little to do with one's ability to endure through tremendous hardship or unmitigated/unprecedented circumstances (among other things). With that said my GREATEST three are:

George Washington - He set the precedent. Had no political party. Was the first in this great experiment we know as democracy and could not have done it better. Just imagine if the first was a complete failure or a total dud. The man put down a rebellion while he was POTUS. Not the army or navy or the militia. It was Washington! Yeah BHO might be the second coming of christ but let's see him do that. I'm joking but yeah will the real G-W please stand up.

Abraham Lincoln - He held the union together. Was the most eloquent, most cited, the "realest" and the next trend-setter. Lincoln set a new mark, a new standard that all presidents after him have and will always be measured against. Lincoln is the pH test...are you + or - Lincoln.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt - This cat was elected 4 times. 4 times! We needed an amendment so "he" doesn't happen again. He lead the country during the Great Depression. This span of time may have been the most trying during our entire history. Ever! He was a fiery individual who did not let his disability hinder his ability to lead. Hate or love the New Deal and many of his pro-social policies his agenda opened the door for the giant stretch of growth the country began to experience. FDR was also a big accountability guy. Again argue if you like but he wanted to do something to fix the problems of the country during an extremely trying time.

NOW - Bush vs. Obama

I had high hopes for Bush. September 11, 2001 could have been the catalyst for the guy to be put in the category of the greats. Maybe history will be more favorable than I. We'll see.

Barack Hussein Obama - Again we'll see but because of what he means to so many and the unprecedented circumstances he's in I have high hopes. BHO don't disappoint.
    Reagan likely would have been elected more than twice if the rules hadn't changed.

vCash
    20th century - FDR. Unemployment went from 25% to 9%. More than anyone helped the allies win WWII.

19th century - Lincoln. Kept america together

18th century - Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Clinton is the best of the 2000's for the entertainment factor and yes I know bush won in 2000 but clinton was still in power till early 2001 lol.

Anyway there seems to be a very big conflict between democrats and republicans on the raegan/ rooselvent dispute just curious since I am a big FDR guy why raegan was better?
    First off it's Reagan, and not many presidents could win a cold war, end a recession almost as bad as this, and grow the economy. To top it off Roosevelt never came nearly as close to sweeping the electoral college as Reagan did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    Reagan likely would have been elected more than twice if the rules hadn't changed.
    ehh... Reagan was already going senile by the middle of his second term. I don't think he had it in him to go another term.

Would he have been elected? Sure. Bush I was essentially Reagan's third term. Would he have done anything different than Bush I? Probably not. With advanced Alzheimer's, we were fortunate he had such a competent team around him in 1987 and 1988. Remember how forgetful he was getting towards the end?
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    ehh... Reagan was already going senile by the middle of his second term. I don't think he had it in him to go another term.

Would he have been elected? Sure. Bush I was essentially Reagan's third term. Would he have done anything different than Bush I? Probably not. With advanced Alzheimer's, we were fortunate he had such a competent team around him in 1987 and 1988. Remember how forgetful he was getting towards the end?
    It's certainly debateable, still, we never know what Reagan would have done in a third term, Reagan always had a decent idea of the economy, but if he had kept that team together it's likely things would have stayed pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    1700's Washington

1800's Licoln

1900's Reagan

2000's Bush/Cheney
    It was during this period you were brainwashed by your parents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietWyatt View Post
    It was during this period you were brainwashed by your parents.
    Yeah, because I clearly can't think for myself

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast