Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bailz View Post
    ^ thats awesome. If you like catch-22 then you have to listen to Streetlight Manifesto...its the lead singer/songwriter from catch-22, it's his second band. He also has a side project called Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution, they are pretty good too, its almost like an orchestra ska punk band. lol.

My music phases go something like this: Classic Rock ----> classic punk (iggy pop, mc5, television, etc) -----> punk / hardcore / ska / reggae -----> metal -----> and then a bunch of random stuff after that. I started to realize there was a lot more good music outside of my musical knowledge, and basically started searching for as much music as I could.
    HOLY CRAP....not only is it the Catch 22 singer, it's the GOOD one Tom right?

Awesome dude. Thanks. Love that guy's voice. My friend and I saw them in Albany when we were in college and showed up early to mee the band. Only met the singer, but he was way cool and took requests from my buddy. Great show too.

Good stuff man...gonna pass it on to my friend (guarantee he's heard them, loves them and will say "of course I know them" )

vCash
    Just listened to "Would you be impressed?" - SM Very very cool. Reliving my Catch 22 college days

So as long as we're going band-for-band.....what do you think of Gogol Bordello?

vCash
    La la la la la
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    La la la la la
    oooo oooo I can name that tune in 3 notes!

vCash
    lol - go ahead.

Actually, I just felt left out of the conversation. I had to interject momentarily.

vCash
    lol - go ahead.

Actually, I just felt left out of the conversation. I had to interject momentarily.
    Well what's YOUR musical taste?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Well what's YOUR musical taste?
    I like a lot of stuff ...

I'm kind of the indie alt-proggy (hyper-literate, thank you Stephen Colbert) pop-rock girl, I guess. I will always love the Decemberists, although I find that their earlier albums were a lot more beautiful than their newer stuff. It's still good, however. Other indies like the Slats, Bishop Allen, Kleenex Girl Wonder, Wild Sweet Orange, Tortoise

Love the garage-noise of the Thermals. Love the low-fi, and artsy, Iron & Wine. Neil Halstead's ability to craft a song. Yo La Tengo's ability to do pretty much anything (long time fan).

Loved the 90s grunge days -- picked up that new Nirvana live recording (Live at Reading). Cranberries in the 90s. Also used to listen to a little rap/hip hop, but not so much now.

I've got a soft spot for the Zombies, Hard Fi, Oasis and naturally, the Beatles.

I like female vocalists, so you can throw in Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple.

I also really dig electronica. Typically heavy hitting bass lines that you get with breaks and jungle; but I can always listen to some house and tech-house.

Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer (Russian, imagine that).

Country music ... well, it depends on the country music. Nothing off the top of my head.

vCash
    Oh, and sadly enough (although admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery), I've been absolutely addicted to Lady GaGa lately.

... don't shun me.

vCash
    I keep hearing about this woman GaGa...

vCash
    It's just that addictive over-sexed radio dance-pop. Imagine if Madonna was just starting out.

I'll give the girl one thing; she holds all creative control. Music (her own), theatrics and choreography (her own), themes, sets, etc ... As far as radio pop music goes, it's definitely not bubble gum cookie cutter.

But, just simply saying that you enjoy the music from somebody named "Lady GaGa" leaves much to be desired.

vCash
    I like a lot of stuff ...

I'm kind of the indie alt-proggy (hyper-literate, thank you Stephen Colbert) pop-rock girl, I guess. I will always love the Decemberists, although I find that their earlier albums were a lot more beautiful than their newer stuff. It's still good, however. Other indies like the Slats, Bishop Allen, Kleenex Girl Wonder, Wild Sweet Orange, Tortoise

Love the garage-noise of the Thermals. Love the low-fi, and artsy, Iron & Wine. Neil Halstead's ability to craft a song. Yo La Tengo's ability to do pretty much anything (long time fan).

Loved the 90s grunge days -- picked up that new Nirvana live recording (Live at Reading). Cranberries in the 90s. Also used to listen to a little rap/hip hop, but not so much now.

I've got a soft spot for the Zombies, Hard Fi, Oasis and naturally, the Beatles.

I like female vocalists, so you can throw in Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple.

I also really dig electronica. Typically heavy hitting bass lines that you get with breaks and jungle; but I can always listen to some house and tech-house.

Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer (Russian, imagine that).

Country music ... well, it depends on the country music. Nothing off the top of my head.
    Oh awesome. I heard The Decemberists for the first time a few years ago at the Coachella music fesitval. they were SO DAMN GOOD. Put on a hell of a live show. I fell in love with them on the spot. Crane Wife is such a great album and of course the Mariner's Revenge is BRILLIANT. I love his style of song writing. You can tell he's got an English major background....very creative.

Iron & Wine is great as well. My g/f loves them (and pretty much every band you mentioned )

The Beatles go without saying. If anyone gets the chance they HAVE to check out teh Fab Faux. A group consisting of the bassist from the Letterman band and the guitarist from Conan's old band. They cover every Beatles song to precision. They don't get all goofy and dress like Sgt. Peppers or try and match Lennon's accent or anything like that. They just have every note of every song down perfectly. (Check out I am the Walrus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lknCpGbsJc )

Oh, and sadly enough (although admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery), I've been absolutely addicted to Lady GaGa lately.

... don't shun me.
    Funny thing is, I don't like Lady Gaga (don't particularly dislike either...just neutral), but I love the P.S. 22 kids version of "Just Dance": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0FPZolbYns

If you haven't seen those kids before, check out the rest of the stuff too. their teacher does a brilliant job of getting their kids passionately into the songs they sing. They do a great job and he deserves a ton of credit.

Don't forget to rate and comment....it increases their youtube popularity, which gets them more appearances (they were on good morning america and the Bonnie Hunt Show), which gets them more funding for programs like this.

vCash
    Oh and Bach>>>>>>Tchaikovsky

vCash
    Oh awesome. I heard The Decemberists for the first time a few years ago at the Coachella music fesitval. they were SO DAMN GOOD. Put on a hell of a live show. I fell in love with them on the spot. Crane Wife is such a great album and of course the Mariner's Revenge is BRILLIANT. I love his style of song writing. You can tell he's got an English major background....very creative.
    If you like his stuff (and if you haven't already) you'll have to check out Tarkio -- Colin's old Montana band. (Omnibus)

Iron & Wine is great as well. My g/f loves them (and pretty much every band you mentioned )
    Maybe I am your girlfriend.

Yeah, probably not.

The Beatles go without saying. If anyone gets the chance they HAVE to check out teh Fab Faux. A group consisting of the bassist from the Letterman band and the guitarist from Conan's old band. They cover every Beatles song to precision. They don't get all goofy and dress like Sgt. Peppers or try and match Lennon's accent or anything like that. They just have every note of every song down perfectly. (Check out I am the Walrus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lknCpGbsJc )
    Very nice.

Funny thing is, I don't like Lady Gaga (don't particularly dislike either...just neutral), but I love the P.S. 22 kids version of "Just Dance": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0FPZolbYns

If you haven't seen those kids before, check out the rest of the stuff too. their teacher does a brilliant job of getting their kids passionately into the songs they sing. They do a great job and he deserves a ton of credit.

Don't forget to rate and comment....it increases their youtube popularity, which gets them more appearances (they were on good morning america and the Bonnie Hunt Show), which gets them more funding for programs like this.
    Well, I have to say that I'm a little embarrassed to be enjoying it. Especially after my six year old daughter came home after borrowing a friends CD from school (I had never heard it before) and I lectured her about it. TOTALLY not for a six year old's ears. And TOTALLY out of the realm of what I normally listen to.

Colin Meloy singing about suicide, murder, rape, and prostitutes seems so much better than Lady GaGa singing about "bluffin' with my muffin." Double standard? Yeah, probably. But, still ...

Watched and rated. Good stuff.

vCash
    Oh and Bach>>>>>>Tchaikovsky

Oh fiddlesticks!

Russian composers trump German composers every day of the week ... except maybe on holidays. I'll give you the second day of every third month, too.

Compromise FTW!

vCash
    If you like his stuff (and if you haven't already) you'll have to check out Tarkio -- Colin's old Montana band. (Omnibus)
    Cool. I'll definitely have to check that out when I get home tonight.

Maybe I am your girlfriend.

Well, I have to say that I'm a little embarrassed to be enjoying it. Especially after my six year old daughter came home after borrowing a friends CD from school (I had never heard it before) and I lectured her about it. TOTALLY not for a six year old's ears. And TOTALLY out of the realm of what I normally listen to.
    I have a daughter?!!?

Oh fiddlesticks!

Russian composers trump German composers every day of the week ... except maybe on holidays. I'll give you the second day of every third month, too.

Compromise FTW!
    Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring and Bouree in E Minor........boom. What you got?

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast