Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Babcock - Does He Stay or Go? *Update* He left

Well, what do you think? I think he's gone. Its just time for both sides to move on. Babcock's system just isn't getting Detroit to where they need to be. I think come July 1, Blashill will be named the Wings next head coach. I will be shocked if Babs is back? Would I be against it? Absolutely not. I would be happy. But I am not expecting it at this point.

vCash
    Reports say he and Holland don't get along, whether its true or not who knows. That rumored disconnect also plays into, say Toronto's hands, because they have a GM need as well. Babs going there would put him as the coach and GM. No longer having to answer to anyone but the owner and has full control over the players. He's his own boss pretty much. It's a taxing job but the freedom to make the moves HE wants probably is appealing.

In Detroit he won't get that. If he stays in Detroit though he could go down as one of the most winning coaches in franchise history and has managed to work magic with ****. If he wants that kind of legacy I think he stays. The potential this team has (hopefully fixing up the piss poor defensive) is enough to win a cup with a few fixes. Toronto is still a ways away from that imo.

In the end I think he is as good as gone. I can't see him leaving here and not getting the GM job as well. Which is why I say Toronto is too appealing to pass up but he could go elsewhere, not sure where.

vCash
    After his comments yesterday, he's gone, for sure.

vCash
    Should Kenny be safe? His trust in his scouts and drafting has been great considering our weak draft position year after year, but, his trades have left me scratching my head lately. Just my opinion, give me yours.

vCash
    Lets get this out of the way, if he wants to stay he is staying end of story. Rumor is he wants more control and big money (he turned down an extension with Detroit for 3.25m earlier this year). If I had to wager I am guessing its Edmonton, that team has almost everything he wants in a Franchise player and very very young pieces, along with a huge pocketbook.

If Edmonton offers us Pitt's first for Howard +a middle pick from us I think we need to jump on it. Im not 100% sold on Mrazek yet, but he has been very promising. This means we could sign a vet backup (even Gus would be fine with me) and we can really stack up on some prospect depth down the middle or use both firsts to potentially move up.

vCash
    I'm sold on Mrazek and Jimmy at least splitting time next season. Mrazek is so young, give him a full year in the league to mature with Jimmy as safety net. Great situation I think. Osgood learned under Vernon and that worked out pretty well.

As far as Babs, I think he's gone as well. I think he is the best coach in the league, so it boggles my mind that I've actually seen people calling for him to leave. Some players don't get along with him, but that can be said of a lot of great coaches, including Scotty Bowman.

I think Babcock wants to go down as one of the greatest coaches ever. I think that pushes him away from Toronto. Pidg brings up an interesting scenario with Edmonton. I wouldn't be shocked if St. Louis paid big money to get him. That is a place he can win and win quickly.

vCash
    I dont think St Louis has much of a chance at him. In all honesty I think St Louis was over hyped this year like last year. I dont think Backes is a #1 center, top end second line center like Kesler absolutely, but not a first line guy. Saw something today about a trade centered around Malkin for Backes++, so if that happens maybe.

He is going to want a stacked team with youth or world class talent. Top 2 I would say is Edmonton and Pitt. Next would be Toronto and us and that depends on if Toronto is willing to give him some personnel power. I dont think Buffalo has a chance of Philly no matter what Philly fans say.

I still think Babs is a top 3 coach in the league. Saying that I think that we could benefit from a change at the helm though. Blash has had a lot of experience with our youth, I want him to come in and let them play. Pulks is absolutely destroying the AHL after being sent back, AA is playing fantastic, even Bert has come in and been an offensive force. I would like us to play a little more open of a game to be honest.

vCash
    Tampa Bay is destroying Montreal. This really makes me think we need to keep Babs.

vCash
    For what its worth freep has a running article discussing Babs and Kenny Holland's trip to Grand Rapids. Apparently both had a long discussion on the ride up there. The talks apparently were nice and they'll pick back up in a few days to let both sides stew.

en Holland and Mike Babcock had what Holland described as "a nice talk" about Babcock's future during the weekend.

The two carpooled Sunday to watch Detroit Red Wings farm team the Grand Rapids Griffins rally from a 2-0 series deficit to advance out of the first round of the AHL playoffs.

One of the topics discussed by Holland, the general manager, and Babcock was in regard to Babcock's coaching future in Detroit. Babcock, 52, is in the final year of a contract that expires June 30.

"We talked about his situation, and now, we need a little time I'm going to use the word 'stew' to stew over what we talked about," Holland told the Free Press today. "Then, in a few days, we'll talk again. And eventually, that will lead to some decision. I don't have a handicap on the situation. We drove over and back, had a nice talk."

Holland said he would "give myself the month of May and hope it's concluded by then or close to it." He leaves Saturday for the Czech Republic to catch the world championships.

There are several NHL teams with coaching vacancies (Buffalo, Philadelphia, San Jose and Toronto) sure to be interested if Babcock becomes available, along with some teams that don't have coaching vacancies (Edmonton, Pittsburgh) but could be enticed by Babcock.

In comments last week, including immediately after the Wings lost in Game 7 to Tampa Bay, Babcock wondered who will replace Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk down the road in other words, about the future of the team's competitiveness. Babcock got to evaluate some of the answer to that as he watched the Griffins. Earlier in the year, he also got to watch Dylan Larkin, the Wings' 2014 first-round pick who is playing for Team USA at worlds.

"Mike Babcock knows the Detroit Red Wings and what we've got just as well as I do," Holland said.

Holland said Friday that money would not be an object in retaining the coach. Babcock is looking for at least $4 million per season, double what he made on his last contract. It would make him the highest-paid coach in the NHL, considerably topping the $2.75 million Chicago's Joel Quenneville is believed to be earning.
    ^^^^ That's the article in question. Given the Suh and Scherzer talks in the last few months I've learned "nice, close, near, good" and terms like that really don't mean much. That said anything positive coming from discussions gives me a a small bit of hope even though things can go south in discussions quick.

vCash
    I'm really not too concerned, I think with either babs or blash we'll be fine.

vCash
    I think Babcock is gone. I think he will end up in Philly or San Jose. Not sure who the Wings will get as coach.

Frankly, I would like change. Babcock has taken the Wings very far, but that does have something to do with the talent level the Wings have now. Maybe, Holland should be the one leaving.

vCash
    What? Your comment just made 0 sense on almost every level. Why would Babs go from an aging core team (his biggest "knock" of our team) to another team with an aging core in SJ that doesnt even have the prospect talent level we have? And Philly? Thats another cluster of a team. Not to mention both of those teams he has almost no history with and lives far away from and is from far away from those places. He is going to one of three places in this order; Detroit, Edmonton, Toronto. With us he is the most familiar, and has a good team with a good prospect group and knows everyone/everything about our organization and his family (who he himself said his wife is going to make the decision not him) lives here and is comfortable here. Edmonton he gets to coach the next Crosby and a super young group with some amazing high end talent. Toronto he gets to move close to where he is from, work under his friend in Shanny and gets to try to fix that team. Each have their draws, but I dont think Philly or SJ stand a chance at him.

Talent level of the wings now? Its actually very low. I would say this is the least pure talented team we have had in a long time. Babs worked some magic to get us in the playoffs these past 2 years. And Holland should be the one leaving? Why? He is still a top 3 GM in the league hands down. Yes he hasnt signed anyone really in the past handful of years, well boohoo, I still wouldnt want Niskanen for his current contract. He's made arguably 1 terrible signing in the last how many years (which part of the Weiss over Fil blame goes to Babs). He let Hudler go, and in hindsight I wish he hadnt, but we all were happy he was gone when it happened. Cleary to me is a wash, he was going to sign a vet for a 14th forward so who cares it was Cleary and who cares for how much with how much space we had. I mean we can go back and say Nyquist shouldnt have started in the AHL last season but he did mainly for cap purposes and hey, it didnt hurt. Now if you remember everything he passed on: Hossa who while he would have helped us win some, I still think his contract is going to come back and bite Chicago in the butt. Kopecky with his horrible contract for a 4th liner and many more. And then there is the scouting that everyone says he doesnt play a part of which is just wrong. Who do you think hires the people he has in place? And I will tell you right now if Holland leaves, Hakan leaves.

vCash
    Yea man, of the available teams SJ and Philly are literally the LAST places I see him going.

100% see that dude behind EDM, TOR or DET 100/100 before ****ing Philly or SJ, Hell throw Buffalo before those two. Dude is gonna end up in Edmonton or Toronto(I have the Wings before Toronto due to their status at this time)

Holland leaving is a joke, dude is a g no matter how you slice it. Hindsight is 20/20 and Holland continues to crank out talent and has a level head; which is the Wings MO. Who do we replace Holland with???????? Serious question.. It's laughable to suggest someone could do better. He keeps us in tolerable cap space and brings us great talent through draft and develop. Yes, some players could see more playing time on other squads but after it's all said and done who benefits from the way things are, the honest truth is the organization AND the players.
    Petr Mrazek is the Future24 straight..... 24 more incoming

\/So is Tommy Tats\/

vCash
    I would rather have a restrained Holland who gives out a bad contract every 5+ years and doesn't make many splashy moves than any of Toronto's latest GM's with the likes of Clarkson, Phaneuf and etc. and that's just my first example I could find many more (Philly)

vCash
    I like Holland for being a very good drafting and developing GM. I think his trading sense isn't as good as some people think. I believe he tends to give up too much at the deadline, so maybe he should try dealing long before then. Our needs are as obvious in Jan as they are in March

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast