Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Red Wings Off-Season/Ideas/Rumors/Etc

I guess I'll go first. This is kind of my thoughts and what I want done.

- David Legwand. Looked terrific when he came over, meshed well with Mule and Nyquist. He was used so wrong. He was on the fourth line for 10 games. He was the highest scorer this year. He's coming off a 55 point year and 2/3rds ona defensive team. I think after his role he tests free agency, Michigan native or not. I see him with Columbus, Chicago, or St. Louis next year. Possibly Minnesota.

- Daniel Alfredsson came in for a cup. Team struggled to make the playoffs. Team struggled to get anything done. He's 41, and has been used wrong the entire year. He wasn't playing with skill like he expected and had a miserable second half to the season. I see him retiring, rejoining Ottawa, or joining a "real" Eastern Conference contender.

That's us losing the two biggest free agent forwards.

- Todd Bertuzzi and Dan Cleary are done.

- Tomas Tatar and Riley Sheahan will surely be re-signed. 1M to 2M for sure over 2-3 years.

That leaves the following:

Pavel Datsyuk
    Henrik Zetterberg
    Johan Franzen
    Gus Nyquist
    Tomas Tatar
    Stephen Weiss*
    Riley Sheahan
    Justin Abdelkader
    Darren Helm
    Drew Miller
    Joakim Andersson
    Luke Glendening

* Tomas Jurco, Mitch Callahan, Anthony Mantha, Landon Ferraro

Up top you have plenty of injury concerns, and not enough top fire power. I don't think Anthony Mantha is ready. I had Tomas Jurco returning to Grand Rapids, but now I think he gets a shot. Landon clearly isn't ready, though I think Callahan is. Should be interesting there.

Defense you have Kyle Quincey expiring. I'm a minority here, but I want him back. I think he was very, very good since January 1st. When both in, he was outplaying Jonathan Ericsson in 2014. Bringing him back, re-signing Dan DeKeyser, that leaves a damn good top four when healthy in Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, DeKeyser.

I want to deal Jakub Kindl. He sucks, and is overpaid. Brian Lashoff looked exposed too.

Here's a trade idea I was actually thinking of. Brendan Smith for Sam Gagner. Gagner's value is low. He needs a change as well. Smith's like 25. Gagner is actually younger. Gagner adds a right handed shot, and another centre which is actually really needed.

After that, depending on Quincey I'd look towards a veteran free agent. Dan Boyle, and Andrei Markov interest me, but I personally doubt it. Ron Hainsey intrigues me because he's big, mobile, and can get the puck out. Line-up could look something like:

Niklas Kronwall - Jonathan Ericsson
    Kyle Quincey - Dan DeKeyser
    Ron Hainsey - Adam Almquist/Alexey Marchenko/Xavier Ouellet
    Brian Lashoff

For goaltending, I think Jonas Gustavsson earned a nice little raise (2.5M-ish). Hope that's not us though, and we go towards the future. Howard's injuries are piling up. He may be fading. He's had three great years in 5. Two miserable years including this one. Could go either way. Give Mrazek a look as the back-up. If not, I'm actually cool with a veteran back-up (Gus?) for one more year.

Jim Howard
    Petr Mrazek/Veteran

So up front you're looking at:

Henrik Zetterberg - Sam Gagner - Johan Franzen
    Tomas Jurco - Pavel Datsyuk - Gustav Nyquist
    Riley Sheahan - Darren Helm/Stephen Weiss - Tomas Tatar
    Drew Miller - Luke Glendening - Justin Abdelkader
    Joakim Andersson, Mitch Callahan

I really don't think a free agent is needed. If the plan is for Jurco to start back, I'd be very interested in a big guy with a finishing ability in Matt Moulson.

Yes, with that I have Riley Sheahan learning on the wing for next year. He adds size, and with injuries, he can slide right back into the middle. I want Z and Dats split up. Adds balance.

Henrik Zetterberg - Sam Gagner - Johan Franzen
    Tomas Jurco - Pavel Datsyuk - Gustav Nyquist
    Riley Sheahan - Darren Helm/Stephen Weiss - Tomas Tatar
    Drew Miller - Luke Glendening - Justin Abdelkader
    Joakim Andersson, Mitch Callahan

Niklas Kronwall - Jonathan Ericsson
    Kyle Quincey - Dan DeKeyser
    Ron Hainsey - Adam Almquist/Alexey Marchenko/Xavier Ouellet
    Brian Lashoff

Jimmy Howard
    Petr Mrazek

vCash
    Dont want to touch Gagner...That contract with Weiss' no thanks. I am more for Moulson, but I think he re-signs in Minnesota. After that I really would like Gaborik at around 5mil for 2-3 years. I would love Vanek but that would be more money more term.

I think we are fine on role players type with Callahan and Ferraro. One will probably hit waivers, my guess is Ferraro. I think Alfie, Bert and Cleary are gone. My line up:

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
    Abby-Datsyuk-Gaborik
    Tatar-Weiss-Sheahan
    Miller-Helm-Callahan

On D I would also like one of Markov/Boyle. We really need some help with the puck movement on the back end and powerplay and I think those two would be fantastic for that. I wouldnt mind Niskanen, but the term and money that he is going to try to get after this break out year scares me. Is Nikitin a FA? I wouldnt mind him would give us some size.

Kronwall-E
    DDK-Boyle/Niskanen
    Smith-Marchenko/AA/Kindl (In that order)
    Lashoff

Back-up I think its time for Mrazek. He really doesnt have much else to prove in the AHL. But I also wouldnt mind if he had another year down there to polish up. Howard needs...scratch that better....have a comeback year.

As far as prospects go the only one that may be NHL ready is Pulu, but as it stands there is no room on the big club for him. Another year wont be bad. On the back end Marchenko and probably Bachman is ready and I think one will make it with Marchenko having the clear edge because of his pro exp.

I will do some prospect updates and a draft update. Btw I dont think Mantha makes the team without some time in the AHL if not a year or two.

vCash
    Not sure exactly how I feel, and I can't do the line predictions like you guys, but I'd like to continue the shift towards the younger players/prospects.

Mrazek works either way for me, either he's up this year splitting starts with Jimmy or he stays in GR as the clear #1. Wouldn't be a fan of having him up only for spot starts though.

Hopefully Weiss can bounce back

vCash
    Am I in the minority that think we resign legwand cause if we don't imma throw a ***** fit we gave up jarnkrak (3rd too) for nothing.... also in no way do I wanna see kindl or lashoff on the ice for us ever again I would rather cutout my eyes, Smith looks decent and I'm willing to let him and Danny play together bring q back and Orpik ( big physical d man ) ..also I don't wanna see glendenning back up if not a necessity...

vCash
    I think Glendenning has been fantastic tbh...

vCash
    I like Glendening but I was biased the minute I found out he was a Wolverine , I like the toughness and willingness to fight for possession in the corners, you can't have an "all skill" lineup so I'd be happy keeping that grinder mentality around

vCash
    Honestly I want to see Kindl gone to a team like EDM who are just starving for really any NHL D. I was maybe Kindl's biggest supporter the last 2-3 years here but im done. That ship has sailed and it really pisses me off.

Im all for Marchenko to be honest. I watched a couple of the final games he played and he really is exactly what we need. Many team exec's, and not just on this team, think he is our best D prospect and most ready.

Kronwall-Boyle/Nikanen
    E-DDK
    Smith-Marchenko
    AA/Lashoff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I think Glendenning has been fantastic tbh...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I like Glendening but I was biased the minute I found out he was a Wolverine , I like the toughness and willingness to fight for possession in the corners, you can't have an "all skill" lineup so I'd be happy keeping that grinder mentality around
    I'm all for that but he was playing against there top line and huge minutes I just thought he should be replaced but a guy u can call on any time with confidence ( I feel we will have to many centers as it is but um stastny would look nice in the wheel ☺😈 but for real what about getting us a gaborik or Heatley ( healthy he is still good) give them a 2 year 3-4 mill each

vCash
    Jakub Kindl is done. Has to be. Detroit going to a rookie defenseman with four regular season games experience over him says everything that you need to know in terms of Kindl's future with Detroit. Some blame Kindl's path into the NHL as his disaster, which is ridiculous because he was brought up fine.

As for David Legwand. My point was, why would you want to re-sign if you're him? He had more points this year than any other Red Wing. He was performing on the top line. He was then put on the fourth line and lost PP minutes. If I'm him, I go elsewhere and make more money.

As for Quincey. I raelly think he accepts a discount and he's one of the better free agents on the market. With the disaster of Kindl/Lashoff and Smith not going as planned, I think he's a smart re-sign. I really do.

What's wrong with Gagner? He's 23. He's performed well and is in a horrible situation. Right handed, plus a ton of upside. Wouldn't cost the world. Detroit doesn't have many centers with upside. They don't have many right handed players. Gagner's value is low (rumored straight up for Kyle Clifford). I think it's a great idea.

vCash
    I think the appeal of playing for your hometown club has some merit but I agree right now its not attractive for a guy getting up there in age, same with alfie. I thought if we advanced far/won the cup he might come back but after this I highly doubt he returns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Jakub Kindl is done. Has to be. Detroit going to a rookie defenseman with four regular season games experience over him says everything that you need to know in terms of Kindl's future with Detroit. Some blame Kindl's path into the NHL as his disaster, which is ridiculous because he was brought up fine.

As for David Legwand. My point was, why would you want to re-sign if you're him? He had more points this year than any other Red Wing. He was performing on the top line. He was then put on the fourth line and lost PP minutes. If I'm him, I go elsewhere and make more money.

As for Quincey. I raelly think he accepts a discount and he's one of the better free agents on the market. With the disaster of Kindl/Lashoff and Smith not going as planned, I think he's a smart re-sign. I really do.

What's wrong with Gagner? He's 23. He's performed well and is in a horrible situation. Right handed, plus a ton of upside. Wouldn't cost the world. Detroit doesn't have many centers with upside. They don't have many right handed players. Gagner's value is low (rumored straight up for Kyle Clifford). I think it's a great idea.
    I know what ur saying but legs might want to stay home( and if he don't I'm dead serious I could see stasny as a wing) Quincy I am ok not mad if he is the #5 but only at 3.5 max and we get another solid d man too so 7.5-8 for stasny or combination of players 3.5 -4 for Quincy leaves 8 mill a back up goalie and another defenseman

vCash
    Quinceys a solid 4. As for Leggy he was done wrong.

vCash
    What is the cap suppose to look like next year?
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    I hope at this point Kindl is done. I wouldnt mind if Quincey was back but if he is back we lose a lot of flexibility on bringing up guys from the AHL. Oullett I think at this point has a 70% chance of making the team next year. I would put Marchenko's shot around 30-40% depending on how he comes back from injury. If Quincey is back we dont have the room.

My main concern about Gagner is his 4.8m contract for a guy that hasnt broken 40 points. I think his best season was last year at 38 and didnt he have an 8 point game? Im just not sold on him. And we also have to face the fact Weiss will be back next year. That leaves us with Dats, Z, Weiss, Helm, Gagner, Sheahan, Glendenning, Andersson as centers and that is waaay to many no matter how deep you want to be. You can shift some to wingers but then you push down some wingers like Franzen and Nyquist and Tatar who the last two need the exp and growth. Im just not a huge Gagner fan and not a huge fan of him on this team.

vCash
    I think Zetterberg switches over to the wing full-time. One of Weiss/Helm will be out at all times. I think Sheahan could be cool on the wing as he's played there before. However, I thought Sam Gagner was making 3.5M

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast