Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Red Wings Prospects Thread/Update/Tracker

The Tigers have one, so the Red Wings should as well

I don't know a lot about them but I'm hoping to learn from others. Or at the least with this thread made it'll force me to keep track of the kids and maybe pick up a thing or two.

First update:
    Dylan Larkin, Wings' top pick in 2014, among 30 named to USA World Junior preliminary roster. Final roster will be unveiled on Dec. 24.

vCash
    Or just let me know who you are curious about and I will give you an update on them. I spend more time watching 15-20 prospects then I do Detroit games.

vCash
    Code:
    Current Griffins (AHL) leader In:

Goals: Pulkkinen with 9

Assists Pulkkinen with 14

PIMS: Jeff Hoggan with 19
    Anthony Mantha Tracker:
    8 games played with 2 goals 1 assist and 3 points. 14 PIMS.

Code:
    Goalies:

Jared Coreau
    (1GP) 1.00 GAA, .972 Save %

Tom McCollum
    (13) 2.46 GAA, 0.905 Save %

Petr Mrazek 
    (6) 3.25 GAA, 0.876 Save %

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Or just let me know who you are curious about and I will give you an update on them. I spend more time watching 15-20 prospects then I do Detroit games.
    Anyone and everypone if possible. I was going to try and stat track the kids every week or so (to keep up on progress) and what not but if you're willing to help please do so.

vCash
    I keep track of stats, but wont post them as I add a lot to my own stat lines.

Pulu: In my opinion easily NHL ready in a sheltered role. I think he is our first call up top 9 forward (not that im not impressed with Mantha Pulu deserves it though). His shot is fantastic still, his play making is far better then most people thought. He is still my top favorite prospect. Could really make this team even more dangerous with his hard RH shot. He also has ran a PP unit from the backend for the past 4-5 years. AHL leading scorer too as of my last check. Unfortunately he is probably the most likely prospect traded, although they said they were comfortable trading Jarnkrok because of how well Pulu was doing. He impressed them last camp with his skills, but didnt impress as much this year which isnt necessarily a bad thing but he needs to next year.

Marchenko: On pace to have a better season than his all star year last year, although I think a little bit of his shine has worn off (as in he may not top out at a #3 like I had hoped). But I think a #4 is where he could end up. I see him a lot as a Brad Stuart comparable (besides shot). He wont provide much offense, has an average outlet pass, but is pretty rock solid defensively. Isnt overly physical but uses his body well. I think this year Kindl is gone with XO taking his spot and Marchenko being on the team as the first call up soon.

Spruol: Has not taken a step forward if anything might have regressed a little. Still has a very high upside though with a pretty amazing shot but really needs to develop. He will be a long time guy in the AHL like Smith.

AA: Doing very well in the A. Easily the fastest skater in the AHL in my opinion. He reminds me a little of Etem just maybe without as good of shot but a bit more attitude. I love his game, and think he is Helm's replacement when his contract is up/in2-3 years.

Larkin: Doing very well at Michigan. Will probably slot in on the 3rd line of USA WJC (although I could see them using him as a LW on the 2nd line) and on the 2nd PP unit. It will be interesting to hear at the end of the year his and Detroits plan for how long he stays in college. We usually leave them alone until their Junior year, but I could see him coming out as soon as after this year.

Hicketts: Despite his size, he is probably one of the more physical players in the CHL that plays a skill position (so im talking non-goons or the big D that our out the to hit and clog lanes). He is very small, looks even smaller on the ice the the player I think he is most comparable to on the back end and that is Jared Spurgeon. They have very similar CHL game play and you will be sure I am keeping a close eye on him this year.

Players that I wont do a write up on but am very high on: Holmstrom and Kadeykin.

My favorite players in this draft outside the top 2: Zacha and Kylington.

I do this almost every year, without Bran and without seeing RW in a while if you didnt know just ask about a prospect and I have something wrote up on them. Like I said the fun to me is watching prospects develop and I love keeping an eye on every draft.
    Last edited by pidg88; 12-03-2014 at 08:17 PM.

vCash
    Beautiful. Thanks again!

If you are up for it maybe once a month could we get a prospect update? Me posting stats every few weeks or so can only do so much without actually seeing the games. So maybe having someone who really watches can help us understand the whole picture instead of ONLY what the numbers say.

vCash
    I guess this didnt post yesterday, but yes I can do that. If you all want to pick maybe 3-4 you want updates on every month or so and than I will give an update on 1-2 that I specifically watched or saw a lot of the past month.

vCash
    I just noticed this thread and I got all excited to read pidg's reports

Thanks man, I know next to nothing about the prospects.

vCash
    Well if I were choosing the 4 it's probably going to be Mantha, Larkin, Marchenko, and Pulkkenin (because apparently he's the leading scorer in GR).

vCash
    I'd add Frk just because/

vCash
    Ive said Frk was a mistake since we drafted him. Its very tough for me to watch his entire game being in the ECHL on and off. He has done well in the ECHL, but again has struggled in the AHL. Is it because our top 6 forwards are full? Im not sure. His skating is pretty bad, his positioning isnt the greatest and his instincts are great. I dont even think his shot is good which everyone says is his game.

vCash
    Frk is very frustrating. He does really good while he is playing in Toledo. Once he gets up to the Griffins he doesn't do much. He is still really young though. Until he can get a everyday roster spot up with the Griffins I'm not too sure he will make it. The wings are in a very good position when it comes to the prospects they have. Unfortunately we will have to trade some of them with the overcrowding situation.

The real question i have is who should be called up first, Mantha or Pulu? I personally think that Pulu would be the better call up for now. He is a right handed shot and is a rocket. He would look nice on the point for a power-play.

vCash
    Pulu all the way. Defensive game is better and right now he is up to the pro pace and just what the team needs.

vCash
    Hicketts made the Canadian WJ team over Fleury. Thats our undrafted signed FA making it over a top 10 draft pick and the second D taken in last years draft. He is probably going to be playing on the third pairing and PP time, guy is a good story.

vCash
    Xavier Ouellet and Teemu Pulkkinen selected for AHL All-Star Game Jan. 26 in Utica.
    Good to see our young talent getting recognized. The question I have is could Ouellet play in the All-Star game if he's not longer in the AHL? I don't think that would make sense given he's an NHL player but I've heard of stranger things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast