Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ah -- yea. The Kosher thing.

Olive oil should work, but something that is similar to butter (i.e. SmartStart) should work as well. Nothing is better than butter -- but I forgot that you're limited.

Maybe you're searing at the wrong temp (?). Hitting it with a really high heat on the flesh side (if you cook it with the scales -- or just one side without) will really sear in the moisture. I usually give that a minute or two before I reduce heat to med/med-high (depending on your stove) and flip. Depending on the cut, it should really only take between five and seven minutes to do it.

Mr SBC does it a bit differently. He sears it high on both sides and then puts it in a 400 degree oven for a couple minutes to finish it. That works well, too.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    I usually go with olive oil when I cook fish, but I'll try SmartStart next time. I can't use real butter -- the whole Kosher thing...
    Ari, I will defer to you, but it was my understanding that the rules on dairy and meat only applied to birds and mammals, not to fish. That was the way I learned it, but to be honest I have never kept kosher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Ari, I will defer to you, but it was my understanding that the rules on dairy and meat only applied to birds and mammals, not to fish. That was the way I learned it, but to be honest I have never kept kosher.
    Then you fail as a Jew.

I kid, I kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Really? Didn't know that. So can you use margarine or is that what smartstart is?

Now i'm interested. Ari since you are kosher, how do you go out to eat?
    Oops. I meant smartbalance. SmartStart is the Kellog's cereal I had for breakfast lol. http://www.smartbalance.com/

Eating out is really tough here in St. Louis. We only have two Kosher restaurants in the entire metro area.

So Lila and I do go out now and then for food at non-Kosher places, but luckily there are a number of places here that serve Halal food -- which is the Muslim version of Kosher. It's not quite up to the same standards as Kosher, but it's better than nothing.

Ironically, there are about as many Jews as Muslims here in St. Louis, but I guess all the Bosnian immigrants really like eating out and the Jews either don't give a crap or stay home.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Fish = pareve.

So to keep my pans pareve I can't cook dairy on them.

That way I can serve fish/vegetables with meat or dairy.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Ah -- yea. The Kosher thing.

Olive oil should work, but something that is similar to butter (i.e. SmartStart) should work as well. Nothing is better than butter -- but I forgot that you're limited.

Maybe you're searing at the wrong temp (?). Hitting it with a really high heat on the flesh side (if you cook it with the scales -- or just one side without) will really sear in the moisture. I usually give that a minute or two before I reduce heat to med/med-high (depending on your stove) and flip. Depending on the cut, it should really only take between five and seven minutes to do it.

Mr SBC does it a bit differently. He sears it high on both sides and then puts it in a 400 degree oven for a couple minutes to finish it. That works well, too.
    I use your husband's technique for salmon. It works wonderfully. Some olive oil, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, and a touch of soy sauce and then after it's seared, toss in some onion slices and throw it in the oven for a few min. MMMM.

vCash
    I have to research this more. This kosher thing, is intriguing. Sounds like it's the only thing jews and muslims agree on!

So how do you eat pizza?

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    I use your husband's technique for salmon. It works wonderfully. Some olive oil, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, and a touch of soy sauce and then after it's seared, toss in some onion slices and throw it in the oven for a few min. MMMM.
    Wow, that sounds good. I'll have to give that one a try soon.

Edit: oops ...
    Last edited by SmthBluCitrus; 02-10-2009 at 03:14 PM.

vCash
    I have to research this more. This kosher thing, is intriguing. Sounds like it's the only thing jews and muslims agree on!

So how do you eat pizza?
    I've never had a pizza with meat on it. And honestly, even if I didn't keep Kosher, I still probably wouldn't. The meat that people put on their pizza is pretty nasty looking.

There are some good kosher pizza places in the cities all along the Hudson River in NY. And also a few in Chicago. But outside of that, it's tough to find good kosher pizza.

The Kosher place here in STL that serves pizza makes it STL-style, which is English for the-worst-style-of-pizza-you've-ever-eaten.

EDIT: Just saw the Jew/Muslim part of your post.

Yeah Halal is very similar to Kosher with a few exceptions:
    1. It's ok to eat any animal that chews its cud (Jews only eat animals with split-hooves that chew their cud) -- meaning Muslims eat all animals Jews eat plus camels.

2. Animals must be killed with a clean stroke across the throat -- they can't be knocked out; shot; etc. Jews are required to have a rabbi do it, obviously Muslims aren't.

3. Muslims can mix their meats and dairies.

So when I went to a Turkish restaurant and ordered a lamb shank, I know it wasn't kosher, but it's close enough for me. Though definitely not close enough for some Jews (mostly the religious European Jews). With that said, I only use Kosher meats at home. My wife's a stickler.

Finally, if you want to know the real reason we're always fighting -- it goes back to ancient times when the Judaeans and Ishmaelites had a best humus recipe contest. Or so the story goes...
    Last edited by ari1013; 02-10-2009 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    Remind me never to eat StL style pizza.

vCash
    I've never had a pizza with meat on it. And honestly, even if I didn't keep Kosher, I still probably wouldn't. The meat that people put on their pizza is pretty nasty looking.

There are some good kosher pizza places in the cities all along the Hudson River in NY. And also a few in Chicago. But outside of that, it's tough to find good kosher pizza.

The Kosher place here in STL that serves pizza makes it STL-style, which is English for the-worst-style-of-pizza-you've-ever-eaten.
    I was more thinking the butter they put on a crust. And I didn't know you didn't put meat on pizza. I'd kill myself if I couldn't eat pepperoni.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Take this in the best possible light. Man Jewish people are hard on themselves, and it seems like a hard religion. You should all convert to Catholicism we drink alot, eat alot, and if you mess up, simple hey i'm sorry and it's all good. Much easier.

vCash
    I was more thinking the butter they put on a crust. And I didn't know you didn't put meat on pizza. I'd kill myself if I couldn't eat pepperoni.
    Butter... must be a midwestern thing?
    Well, in any case, you're putting cheese on it too, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Remind me never to eat StL style pizza.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

come on, doesn't that look good

vCash
    Take this in the best possible light. Man Jewish people are hard on themselves, and it seems like a hard religion. You should all convert to Catholicism we drink alot, eat alot, and if you mess up, simple hey i'm sorry and it's all good. Much easier.
    Yeah but even if I was Catholic, I'd have a hard time believing the Pope was really speaking the word of God. It's kind of a stretch.

Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast