Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    I should note that my chair is an ardently conservative economist, in the vein of Mankiw. He's like the anti-Krugman.
    Well, that should be even more fun.

Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    So basically you want to debate a brilliant mind, with your liberal agenda. Shame!!!!

Yup. Although as far as it goes in relation to other economists, I'm a centrist.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Schumer: The American people don't care about pork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfICUoWKBw

I think he's dead wrong on that assumption.
    I'd agree to an extent. I think the public didn't care about pork until this election cycle, when they found out what "pork" and "earmark" meant. Now they care.

vCash
    This bill will probably be just like the bailout package, a failure
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Braley: There is no pork in stimulus bill

U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley had strong words this morning for those who he believes are intent on spreading misinformation about the federal economic stimulus package.

“There are no earmarks in this bill — none,” Braley said during a conference call with reporters.

“I have people come up to me all the time to talk about supposed earmarks that are in the bill. I had a gentleman who told me that there was millions of dollars in the bill that we passed in the [U.S.] House to buy snow-blowers for Minnesota. There were none. So, it is very important for taxpayers and U.S. citizens to separate fact from fiction.”

When asked to name the source of such misinformation, Braley said, “I have no idea where this stuff comes from. I do think it is perpetuated by right-wing talk-radio hosts, who make things up and get it out into the mainstream media, and then it becomes accepted as fact. My office and I deal with these types of of myths everyday. They just aren’t true.”

Bruce Braley, a Democrat who represents Iowa’s 1st District, said he will support the bill which has come out of conference despite his disappointment in some aspects of the allotted funding. His support is largely due to the latest White House figures that show employment impact for Iowa at 37,000 new jobs — 6,600 of those in the 1st District.

“I’m going to support the bill because I believe it is absolutely essential given the dire economic circumstance we find ourselves in,” he said.

Braley would have preferred the bill include additional funding for school construction. He is also disappointed with the $100 reduction in tax cuts for working families.
    Iowa Independent

vCash
    What a disaster this is.

7 democrats cross the line and vote no. Zero republican support.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Republicans pointed out a bevy of questionable spending items that made the final cut in House-Senate negotiations, including money to replace computers at federal agencies, inspect canals, and issue coupons for convertor boxes to help people watch TV when the changeover to digital signals occurs this summer.

vCash

vCash
    This isn't about the total money spent. While I think it's way high, I'm not going to argue about that. I say alot of wasteful spending in here. Which takes away from the spending it should have been in other parts.

For instance 2.1 billion spent on Headstart. While headstart is a wonderful program, I dont' see how helping preschoolers is going to stimulate the economy, besides adding some teachers, except teaching really hasn't been hit by this downturn.

That's just a tip of the ice burg. Broad estimate 30% of this should have been cut and put into other things, for the betterment of the country.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    So absurd that the house passed this without even reading the god damned thing. 1100 pages they've asked them to read in less than 17 hours. So irresponsible.

vCash
    OK, I'm not saying that it's right, but it's hardly irresponsible.

It's not as though House Reps don't have a multitude of staffers and advisers that can break the package down into parts and present it to them. It's not as though House Rep Joe Schmo is going home, sitting on the toilet, and leafing through the proposed legislation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    OK, I'm not saying that it's right, but it's hardly irresponsible.

It's not as though House Reps don't have a multitude of staffers and advisers that can break the package down into parts and present it to them. It's not as though House Rep Joe Schmo is going home, sitting on the toilet, and leafing through the proposed legislation.
    It's ridiculous. 1100 pages. They got it at 11:00 last night. It's irresponsible to have the vote today. They are flying in a Democrat from his mother's damn wake tonight so he can get there at 10:00 because they need his vote.

This whole thing just stinks of irresponsibility.

Not even to mention the fact this thing is full of pork.

vCash
    Imagine that ... a John McCain supporter saying that there's pork in a Democratic-backed stimulus bill. I'm so shocked.

I'd say that a vote on it is pretty damn important -- and if a legislator needs to fly back to vote on it then so be it. Congress is in session and this is what we elect our House Reps and Senators to do ... it's their job (unless you use Steele's definition; and then they're just temporary workers).

This legislation needs to be on Obama's desk as soon as possible. The economy isn't waiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Imagine that ... a John McCain supporter saying that there's pork in a Democratic-backed stimulus bill. I'm so shocked.

I'd say that a vote on it is pretty damn important -- and if a legislator needs to fly back to vote on it then so be it. Congress is in session and this is what we elect our House Reps and Senators to do ... it's their job (unless you use Steele's definition; and then they're just temporary workers).

This legislation needs to be on Obama's desk as soon as possible. The economy isn't waiting.
    It needs to be so rushed that they don't get to read it? Give me a break. And it is full of pork. 30 million for mice! That's a hell of a video clip.

The senator isn't just flying back. They are sending a government jet to get him because they need his vote. The voting starts at 5:30, and will continue until 10 when they can usher him in there to cast the final and deciding vote. How dramatic.

It's sickening they will pass an 1100 page bill with 700 plus billion of our dollars without reading it, and even more sickening that you don't even care.

Taking an extra couple days is not going to change the economy. What it will do is let people comb over the billions in the bill that shouldn't be in there. In the long run, not doing that is going to harm the economy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigleyboy25 View Post
    It needs to be so rushed that they don't get to read it? Give me a break. And it is full of pork. 30 million for mice! That's a hell of a video clip.

The senator isn't just flying back. They are sending a government jet to get him because they need his vote. The voting starts at 5:30, and will continue until 10 when they can usher him in there to cast the final and deciding vote. How dramatic.

It's sickening they will pass an 1100 page bill with 700 plus billion of our dollars without reading it, and even more sickening that you don't even care.

Taking an extra couple days is not going to change the economy. What it will do is let people comb over the billions in the bill that shouldn't be in there. In the long run, not doing that is going to harm the economy.
    First, it's not just an "extra couple days." Today is Friday and unless an emergency session is called for, nothing will move this weekend. Nor will it move Monday -- that's a Federal Holiday. So, if it's not passed tonight, it will wait until Tuesday to be voted on -- which won't put it on Obama's desk until Wednesday next week at the earliest. Which could potentially push back the start dates on some of these initiatives by another week. So, yea -- timing is critical.

But, I guess since it's a liberal bill filled with "pork" it's not as meaningful to you. I do seem to remember you calling for Pelosi and Reid to call Congress back during the summer concerning oil prices, ANWR, and off-shore drilling when gas prices were up near four -- but I guess that was a "real" emergency, huh?

If they haven't had their staffers read it, then they're irresponsible. I loved Boehner's dramatic little stagecraft earlier, too -- throwing the legislation to the floor.

Maybe if he spent a little less time *****ing and a little more time reading we wouldn't have to worry about having this conversation. God forbid they do their jobs.

vCash
    Still doesn't make up for the 48 hour window they decided not to have. That was their idea to start with! SHAZAM!

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast