Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    From what I've read, school construction and state aid are the two big things Obama wants to put back into the package during negotiations.

vCash
    I thought it was quite amusing how they cut the spending for the Dept of Transportation and Fox News was mad at the Democrats for that. They said that the Dept of Transportation wanted 60 billion to fix roads and such but they are only getting 30 billion, and this is the Dems fault because the Republicans were complaining about spending...the Dems fault...
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Schumer: The American people don't care about pork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfICUoWKBw

I think he's dead wrong on that assumption.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    One thing I did find interesting from O'reilly, even though I realize a lot of people don't like him, was that Republicans have nothing to lose by voting against it and Obama has everything to lose if it fails.

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Schumer: The American people don't care about pork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfICUoWKBw

I think he's dead wrong on that assumption.
    I cant watch the youtube clip, but i didnt like the comment by Obama about "no pork", i dont know if its true but if anyone digs through im sure they can find something to classify as pork.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    This would be the perfect stimulus package to me:

35% Government investment in the following:

School construction/renovation
    Highway construction/repairs
    Expansion of federal law enforcement including FBI, DEA, and Border Patrol (Mexico is getting very dangerous, we need more security on the border.)
    Federal funding for Nuclear and Hydroelectric power plant construction
    Funding for solar/wind energy research (no new windfarms yet, find a cheaper, more effecient way to do it.)
    Funding for clean coal research

This would involve cutting funding for birth control clinics, Nat'l Endowment for the Arts, Smithsonian, EPA Superfund and other ineffective spending.

30% Tax Credits including:

Tax credits for new home buyers
    Tax credits to small businesses and corporations for each new employee hired this year
    Tax credits to banks for making at least X number of home loans

35% Tax Cuts including:

2 year moratorium on capital gains tax
    cutting the corporate income tax rate from 39% to 28% or lower (This is the world average corporate income tax rate.)
    Tax cuts for low-middle income Americans only, none for the top brackets.
    Tax cuts for small business owners

I think this stimulus bill would get support from both sides, and would be the most effective.
    Do you realize the magnatude of the tax credits if you want 30% to be credits. First off, that depends entirely on choice. Which means that for every individual who takes advantage there are likely 2 that don't. Plus, for many that do take advantage, it won't matter because they're already deducting their full tax burden anyway. In the end you're looking at around 50 million tax filers that can take advantage. 30% of $800 billion = $240 billion = $4,800 per tax payer that qualifies. That's a huge amount of money considering the average family pays about $5,500 in taxes. You're talking about an effective 87% tax cut.

And then on top of that you want to spend an additional $280 billion on further tax cuts?

This is precisely why tax cuts on top of tax cuts are ineffective tools for economic stimulus.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Not to mention the cuts in state aid ... that even GOP Governors were asking not to cut.

Yeah that pretty much shafted my two states. STL can't afford metro improvements any longer; and IL is probably going to ask for more money back from the schools --> so tuition will rise and less students will get the education they need --> no economic gains.

I'm really pissed at the Dems for giving in on those two cuts. The GOP doesn't really care if the country gets ****ed. In fact, politically speaking, they'll do better if Obama crashes and burns. And as long as they can get tax cuts to the wealthy in the process, let the rest of the country rot. But the Dems really should have some little bit of backbone to stand up for it. And therefore, I put the blame entirely on Harry Reid.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsGirl View Post
    From what I've read, school construction and state aid are the two big things Obama wants to put back into the package during negotiations.

Those were the two sticking points for the Republicans. They refused to negotiate on those two when working out this compromise.

vCash
    Am i not going to get an Ari reply...that makes me sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    One thing I did find interesting from O'reilly, even though I realize a lot of people don't like him, was that Republicans have nothing to lose by voting against it and Obama has everything to lose if it fails.
    did you see DIck Morris say last night that there is no pork in the bill because there isn't a single earmark submitted by an individual member of congress? It was a great point.

vCash
    This article says Obama has it both ways on pork

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090209/D968BMTO0.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I thought it was quite amusing how they cut the spending for the Dept of Transportation and Fox News was mad at the Democrats for that. They said that the Dept of Transportation wanted 60 billion to fix roads and such but they are only getting 30 billion, and this is the Dems fault because the Republicans were complaining about spending...the Dems fault...
    It's what you're going to get with Fox News.

If they had approved all $60B then Fox would have talked about wasteful spending.

It's all about the delivery and not the content.

vCash
    Now that article is talking about indiana, and my hometown South Bend. I'll have Obama know that the 2 highways he's talking about, yea, our governor already had this in the plan to start these projects this year. When listening to Obama yesterday in Elkhart I was pissed that he was sort of passing this idea as his own. He should have said your governor wants to do these projects and my plan will help him do these, so he can do even more projects. I think it would have shown bipartisanship, and helped him greatly.

vCash
    This article says Obama has it both ways on pork

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090209/D968BMTO0.html
    That's why pork is so subjective. McCain loved making fun of the funds to study bears, but repackaged as its own bill, it wouldn't have been pork. It would have been scientific funding.

vCash
    Now that article is talking about indiana, and my hometown South Bend. I'll have Obama know that the 2 highways he's talking about, yea, our governor already had this in the plan to start these projects this year. When listening to Obama yesterday in Elkhart I was pissed that he was sort of passing this idea as his own. He should have said your governor wants to do these projects and my plan will help him do these, so he can do even more projects. I think it would have shown bipartisanship, and helped him greatly.
    Don't worry. If the plans go South, I'm sure he'll let your governor take the blame

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast