Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    I dont know how the process has gone but havent they been working on it for a while, i dont believe this is the first time they will have seen it. So i dont think it is too rushed.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadarn View Post
    What a disaster this is.

7 democrats cross the line and vote no. Zero republican support.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
    Yeah it's pretty sad that Republicans are that block-headed that they'd rather let the economy continue to fall in a feeble attempt to hurt Obama's poll numbers.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_166736.html

Take a look at that video. The GOP never intended to play along with Obama -- no matter how much he bent over for them.
    Last edited by ari1013; 02-13-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    I am a democrat, and looking at this now, I hope it fails. The republicans are blocking government intervention (or at least trying to), and I think that will play poorly in the media. The "party of no" they are already being dubbed, and that sentiment would be emphasized even more if it failed.

I mention this because its really close in the Senate right now.

Edit: I guess its not that close, it has 57 yes votes and needs 3 more, but 3 democratic senators are voting tonight sometime.

vCash
    It will pass tonight when Sen Brown comes back. The real question is now that it is going to be enacted, are you hoping it works, or, are you hoping it fails.

I have no question in my mind that I hope it works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    It will pass tonight when Sen Brown comes back. The real question is now that it is going to be enacted, are you hoping it works, or, are you hoping it fails.

I have no question in my mind that I hope it works.
    I'm very happy my party didn't vote for it. Party of 0 is awesome to me. But of course I hope it works. I just thinking it won't work, or work well. But I am fully fine with being destroyed if it works. If it works and yes I hope it does, because it means much greater things, then my and my parties pride. But I know full well, if it works, and the way we have voted no, we are destroyed for 2 decades minimum. But I like putting your money where your mouth is.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Yiggy -- TP

Is The Country Paying a Price for Anti-Earmark Fever?

One of the odder aspects of recent American politics has been the bipartisan fervor against so-called “earmarks.” These are, it’s true, a less-than-ideal method of budgeting. But the U.S. budget process has a lot of flaws and I see no real reason to think that earmarking is high on the list. But John McCain and Barack Obama both hate ‘em and now they’re public enemy number one, so the Obama administration has made a big deal out of its earmark-free stimulus. But I wonder, has this really been a good feature on net?

As is well-known, in order to secure the votes of the handful of Republican Senators necessary to overcome the 60-vote hurdle, Obama had to make some non-trivial concessions. Those concessions have made the stimulus much less effective than it otherwise might have been and will lead to hundreds of thousands of people being unemployed who could have been engaged in productive labor. Suppose that instead of making this sort of large, substantive concession Obama had just been able to offer pointless pet projects for Pennsylvania and Maine. It seems to me that because those projects would have had locally concentrated benefits you could have made the deal worthwhile to Sens. Specter, Collins, and Snowe for a much lower bottom-line cost and ultimately better-served the public interest.

In other words, simply eliminating the most effective means of buying votes in the legislature doesn’t eliminate the practical necessity to do it. It just ensures that the vote-buying gets done in less efficient ways.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Well... You could call any of his concessions what they really are -- earmarks for the 3 GOP votes.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345