Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Economic Stimulus Reached

Link

Hopefully This Helps

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    http://www.recovery.gov/

Should be information on the bill when the time comes.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I'm waiting to hear exactly what stayed in. I know that the GOP has successfully gotten the AMT bumped up to a higher marginal income tax bracket. So that was the extra cost. As far as the cuts in spending though...
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    From what I've heard tax cuts now make up somewhere around 45% of the bill. And, most of the spending that has been cut is money to the states and education.
    Last edited by SmthBluCitrus; 02-07-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    From what I've heard tax cuts now make up somewhere around 45% of the bill. And, most of the spending that has been cut is money to the states and education.
    Great news for me. I'm a bit worried though, because next up the states are going to want a stimulus package, or a bailout out, whatever you want to call it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Yea i tried to find a breakdown and i found a blog from the NY Times, that sited the House Committee on Appropriations.

Here is the link, i dont know how accurate but still something to look into.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...lus-pie-chart/

vCash
    I am becoming less and less enthusiastic about this bill the more I read ...

TAPPED

IT'S A BAD DEAL.

An agreement has been reached on the stimulus legislation, and it is an agreement we could refer to as "galactically stupid." The decision to cutting $40 billion in state aid, another $20 billion in school construction, $2 billion for rural broandband access in favor of $30 billion in tax rebates for people who buy homes and cars is a travesty; the former option is more stimulative to the overall economy and targets needed investments, while the latter has a small stimluative value, is regressive and would be a step towards puffing the housing bubble up again. Noam's take is spot on -- "What a relief that those fat-cats in bankrupt states and crumbling schools won't be shaking the rest of us down--not this time." And economist Dean Baker e-mails with the following idea:

We should talk about the spending cuts as job cuts. So cutting $100 billion from the stimulus means that they cut 500,000 jobs. (Working with the Romer-Bernstein numbers, $100 billion would increase GDP by $150 billion. This equals 1 percent, which they calculate translates into 1 million jobs. We divide by two [2-year savings] and get 500,000 jobs.) So the Collins-Nelson crew just cost 500,000 people their jobs. Isn't fiscal responsibility wonderful?
    It's a delight.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is the conference committee, when a select group of senators and representatives will get together to iron out the differences between the two houses' versions of the bill. It's possible that conference will be a venue to improve the bill, and once it is brought back for a vote -- no amendments allowed -- Obama's national tour next week will have brought enough pressure to bear that a chagrined Republican or two will cross party lines for the bill.

-- Tim Fernholz

vCash
    Here's what got cut. Wow like 95% of this **** has no effect whatsoever on helping the economy. What do new icebreakers for the Coast Guard do for the Economy?? Makes me wonder what stayed in.

CNN obtained, from a Democratic leadership aide, a list of some programs that have been cut -- either entirely or partially:

Partially cut:

• $3.5 billion for energy-efficient federal buildings (original bill $7 billion)

• $75 million from Smithsonian (original bill $150 million)

• $200 million from Environmental Protection Agency Superfund (original bill $800 million)

• $100 million from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (original bill $427 million)

• $100 million from law enforcement wireless (original bill $200 million)

• $300 million from federal fleet of hybrid vehicles (original bill $600 million)

• $100 million from FBI construction (original bill $400 million)

Fully eliminated

• $55 million for historic preservation

• $122 million for new Coast Guard polar icebreaker/cutters

• $100 million for Farm Service Agency modernization

• $50 million for CSERES research

• $65 million for watershed rehabilitation

• $30 million for SD salaries

• $100 for distance learning

• $98 million for school nutrition

• $50 million for aquaculture

• $2 billion for broadband

• $100 million for NIST

• $50 million for detention trustee

• $25 million for Marshalls Construction

• $300 million for federal prisons

• $300 million for BYRNE Formula

• $140 million for BYRNE Competitive

• $10 million state and local law enforcement

• $50 million for NASA

• $50 million for aeronautics

• $50 million for exploration

• $50 million for Cross Agency Support

• $200 million for National Science Foundation

• $100 million for science

• $1 billion for Energy Loan Guarantees

• $4.5 billion for GSA

• $89 million GSA operations

• $50 million from DHS

• $200 million TSA

• $122 million for Coast Guard Cutters, modifies use

• $25 million for Fish and Wildlife

• $55 million for historic preservation

• $20 million for working capital fund

• $165 million for Forest Service capital improvement

• $90 million for State and Private Wildlife Fire Management

• $1 billion for Head Start/Early Start

• $5.8 billion for Health Prevention Activity

• $2 billion for HIT Grants

• $600 million for Title I (NCLB)

• $16 billion for school construction

• $3.5 billion for higher education construction

• $1.25 billion for project based rental

• $2.25 for Neighborhood Stabilization

• $1.2 billion for retrofitting Project 8 housing

• $40 billion for state fiscal stabilization (includes $7.5 billion of state incentive grants)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/...uts/index.html

vCash
    • $50 million from DHS

• $200 million TSA

Oh no...how many more cameras will they steal from people now...

vCash
    16 billion for school construction is a bad cut to make. I'd much rather have that than give people tax credits for buying Kias and other cheap Asian cars.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Paul Krugman analysis of the agreed on stimulus package:

What the centrists have wrought

Im still working on the numbers, but Ive gotten a fair number of requests for comment on the Senate version of the stimulus.

The short answer: to appease the centrists, a plan that was already too small and too focused on ineffective tax cuts has been made significantly smaller, and even more focused on tax cuts.

According to the CBOs estimates, were facing an output shortfall of almost 14% of GDP over the next two years, or around $2 trillion. Others, such as Goldman Sachs, are even more pessimistic. So the original $800 billion plan was too small, especially because a substantial share consisted of tax cuts that probably would have added little to demand. The plan should have been at least 50% larger.

Now the centrists have shaved off $86 billion in spending much of it among the most effective and most needed parts of the plan. In particular, aid to state governments, which are in desperate straits, is both fast because it prevents spending cuts rather than having to start up new projects and effective, because it would in fact be spent; plus state and local governments are cutting back on essentials, so the social value of this spending would be high. But in the name of mighty centrism, $40 billion of that aid has been cut out.

My first cut says that the changes to the Senate bill will ensure that we have at least 600,000 fewer Americans employed over the next two years.

The real question now is whether Obama will be able to come back for more once its clear that the plan is way inadequate. My guess is no. This is really, really bad.

vCash
    I'm not sure about it being the most needed, but I can tell you that the cuts to the NSF were a huge mistake. $200 million of NSF funding (which goes about 60% to assistantships) = 11,000 potential assistantships gone.

Not only is that lost jobs, but that's also lost technology -- right when we need it most.

The bulk of those line items are pointless little things. And most could have been included in a separate DHS bill.

Cutting targetted education spending is a mistake.

vCash
    This would be the perfect stimulus package to me:

35% Government investment in the following:

School construction/renovation
    Highway construction/repairs
    Expansion of federal law enforcement including FBI, DEA, and Border Patrol (Mexico is getting very dangerous, we need more security on the border.)
    Federal funding for Nuclear and Hydroelectric power plant construction
    Funding for solar/wind energy research (no new windfarms yet, find a cheaper, more effecient way to do it.)
    Funding for clean coal research

This would involve cutting funding for birth control clinics, Nat'l Endowment for the Arts, Smithsonian, EPA Superfund and other ineffective spending.

30% Tax Credits including:

Tax credits for new home buyers
    Tax credits to small businesses and corporations for each new employee hired this year
    Tax credits to banks for making at least X number of home loans

35% Tax Cuts including:

2 year moratorium on capital gains tax
    cutting the corporate income tax rate from 39% to 28% or lower (This is the world average corporate income tax rate.)
    Tax cuts for low-middle income Americans only, none for the top brackets.
    Tax cuts for small business owners

I think this stimulus bill would get support from both sides, and would be the most effective.
    Who Is John Galt? Atlas is Shrugging.

vCash
    It passed 61-37

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/...gress_stimulus

It disgusts me that they cut $16 billion in school construction. I don't understand the reasoning. this was probably the biggest slam dunk for creating jobs in the whole package.

vCash
    Not to mention the cuts in state aid ... that even GOP Governors were asking not to cut.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast