Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Steelers biggest need going into draft?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • OLB

0 0%
  • SS

0 0%
  • CB

5 100.00%
  • TE

0 0%
  • LT

0 0%
  • WR

0 0%
  • NT

0 0%
  • LG

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2015 Draft Thread

Everybody knows I'm a HUGE draft guy. We typically have a thread all College Season identifying players we are watching/guys we like. Normally i kick off with a huge gigantic post but ill keep it sweet. I haven't watched much film to this point or have seen as many games as id like to of. Would like to begin discussing how we continue to get better as an organization.

What it appears we need as of November 15 (Pretty loose here)

CB- At least 1 but potentially 2 guys who can come in and start within 2 years.
    OLB- Need to replace Worilds.. Is Jarvis Jones a liability to?
    NT- Is McClendon the solution at NT or a talented utility player? McCullers?
    TE- How much longer will Heath be able to produce at a high level?
    LT- Is Beachum a long term option?
    LG- Ramon Foster is ok, but could we do better?
    WR- Brown is solid, Bryant has shown promise, but is this a position of need.
    SS- Shark hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy or see the field on D. TP is at the end.

vCash
    Way Too Early Mock Draft (Not factoring compensatory picks)
    1. PJ Williams CB, Florida State
    2. Spencer Drango, LT Baylor
    3. Eric Striker, OLB Oklahoma
    4. Max Garcia, OG Florida
    5. Ben Koyack, TE Notre Dame
    6. Corey Crawford, DE Clemson
    7. Josh Shaw, CB USC (Low risk, high reward pick.. if he acts up at all cut him immediately)

vCash
    1. CB
    2. OLB
    3. TE
    4. LT
    5. Another DB
    6. DL Depth
    7. OL Depth

I read it briefly but what's the story of Florida State's Williams and Darby and a hit and run accident? That could move them quite a few spots down everybody's draft board, not just ours.

Also, thanks for not calling this "Pittsburgh Steelers Official Draft Thread" so it gets mixed up with all the other threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post
    1. CB
    2. OLB
    3. TE
    4. LT
    5. Another DB
    6. DL Depth
    7. OL Depth

I read it briefly but what's the story of Florida State's Williams and Darby and a hit and run accident? That could move them quite a few spots down everybody's draft board, not just ours.

Also, thanks for not calling this "Pittsburgh Steelers Official Draft Thread" so it gets mixed up with all the other threads.
    No problem i like to be able to skim down to see what the latest post is in i always get frustrated when i click in and its the "off topic thread" or what not.

about the incident I'm sure more details will come out. It's certainly not good, but the situation doesn't appear to be "too" severe. He's extremely talented and if he comes in at 6' which is different then most DBs in this class. Would be nice to get him I think he would start as a rookie on our D.

vCash
    I've started to kinda put together a "wish list" by round of who I like:
    Round 1) Shane Ray OLB Mizzu, Andrus Peat OT Stanford, Kevin White WR WVU, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon.
    Round 2) Ereck Flowers OT Miami, Tre' Jackson OG FSU, Lorenzo Mauldin OLB Louisville
    Round 3) Devin Funchess TE Michigan, Alex Carter CB Stanford, Jordan Lewis CB PSU

I put who I would Pick by round in bold. If the cap does rise to $160mil we will have around $25 mil to play with (my estimations about $20 mil once if Ben and Cam are done early). So we will have space to spend to fortify some areas.

Peat: I think he's the next Joe Thomas. He isn't getting beat, but like other Stanford OL prospects they say he "lacks nasty".
    Mauldin: Reminds me of Woodley. Not quite athletic enough to fully play in space. But can rush the passer so well that you work around that.
    Funchess: yes I know he's playing WR right now. But he's a Jimmy Graham/Julius Thomas clone. Won't do much blocking but is a great "joker TE" who can do all the things those two do.
    Lewis: I see this kid week in and week out. Reminds me highly of another Lewis that was on this team at one time.
    Coulson Lives

If this is how you watch football, you aren't going to have a good time.

vCash
    Andrus Peat is going to be a top 3 pick next year Otherwise id sell the draft for him basically. He's on another level of good. and Ifo is only 5'8 to 5'9' so i dont want little guys in the secondary even though hes the most technically sound DB in the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenecaValley46 View Post
    Andrus Peat is going to be a top 3 pick next year Otherwise id sell the draft for him basically. He's on another level of good. and Ifo is only 5'8 to 5'9' so i dont want little guys in the secondary even though hes the most technically sound DB in the draft.
    Peat has been showing up in the 20-30 range in most mocks and scouts are starting to drop him from the top of the OT heap.

As for Ifo: I care if a guy can play at the CB. Given that we are playing more off coverage a guy like Ifo is a great fit.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    Ive been seeing Peat as the top tackle and top 3 pick. But theres a lot of talent. Collins from LSU is really good and has potential to stick to LT. Schreff is a stud but they think he might kick right. Drango from Baylor has red flags about health but hes a stud, 3 year starter hopefully he comes out early and falls to round 2. I have heard Peat is the next Ogden (high praise)

EDIT: Mock drafts are a joke right now though. Everything changes. But Peat is my top guy in the entire draft for us.
    Last edited by SenecaValley46; 11-16-2014 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    I'm not disagreeing with you on talent level.

But Schreff has outplayed him. And Collins is going to see the "Greg Robinson" jump, or basically the guy that isn't the worlds greatest in college but measures off the charts and played just well enough to make it up there.

I mean look no further than Jake Matthews last year. Was the hands down #1 OT coming out into draft season, Greg Robinson jumped him at the combine and Tyler Lewan nearly jumped him as well. I think that's what is going to happen to Peat. Add in the quality of pass rushers this year and he could fall.

I mean if Shane Ray dropped I would love him but I don't think that's happening. Kevin White is taring it up. If Bryant can keep up his absurd pace then I guess it makes White a unneccessary pick. But the thought of White, Brown, Bryant is enticing.

Another first name I forgot about (and I'll see up close soon) is Shilique Calhoun OLB MSU.
    In that case Flowers (and another Name I forgot) Corey Robinson is a solid pick.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    My Big Board (Top overall prospects for us regardless of draft position)
    1. Leonard Williams, DE USC (so good you find a position for him. Good enough to consider changing the defense around.. 4-3 with Williams-Heyward-McClendon-Tuitt? ok getting ahead here.)
    2. Randy Gregory, OLB Nebraska
    3. Shane Ray, OLB Missouri
    4. Andrus Peat, LT Stanford
    5. La'El Collins, LT LSU
    6. Landon Collins, SS Bama
    7. Brandon Scherff, LT Iowa
    8. PJ Williams, CB FSU
    9. Shawn Oakman, DE Baylor
    10. Eddie Goldman, DT FSU
    11. Amari Cooper, WR Bama
    12. Dante Fowler Jr, OLB UF
    13. Vic Beasely, OLB Clemson
    14. Shaq Thompson, OLB Washington
    15. Kevin White, WR WVU
    16. Leornard Floyd, OLB UGA

Way too early but some names to keep tabs on. This years first round might break records for linebackers taken.

vCash
    I'm sorry but IMO, you can strike any Saban product from my big board. CJ Mosley is one of the few that came out and performed. But for the most part they have been just "parts".
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I'm sorry but IMO, you can strike any Saban product from my big board. CJ Mosley is one of the few that came out and performed. But for the most part they have been just "parts".
    You can't cast away the prospects from the most dominant football program in the country because they've had a rough go around in the pros.. Cooper is going to be solid in the NFL (Julio Jones?). Collins is by far the top rated SS in the country too. Not sure why they haven't panned out in the league. I obviously dont like them now but i won't cast off that program

vCash
    Lacy has been fine as well as mosley Julio etc

vCash
    Interesting question to pose to you guys. As you know Todd Gurley was arguably the highest rated back in CFB/NFL prospect since Adrian Peterson.. Gurley just tore his ACL and was a projected top 8 pick. If he were available in the 2nd round would you draft him to solidify the best running back combo in the NFL with Bell and Gurley? Would be disgusting but we have SO many holes that aren't RB, but is he worth the pick?

Curious to see what you think, I would probably pass but wouldn't be upset to see that happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenecaValley46 View Post
    Interesting question to pose to you guys. As you know Todd Gurley was arguably the highest rated back in CFB/NFL prospect since Adrian Peterson.. Gurley just tore his ACL and was a projected top 8 pick. If he were available in the 2nd round would you draft him to solidify the best running back combo in the NFL with Bell and Gurley? Would be disgusting but we have SO many holes that aren't RB, but is he worth the pick?

Curious to see what you think, I would probably pass but wouldn't be upset to see that happen
    I would pass. If he somehow was there in 3rd or 4th I would consider it. Too many holes to pick basically a red shirt player in round 2.
    Coulson Lives

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast