Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Obama signs children's health initiative into law

Obama signs children's health initiative into law

President Barack Obama claimed the second major legislative victory of his young administration Wednesday, signing a bill to provide federally funded health care to an estimated 4 million children.

The final version of the new law, which expands the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) by roughly $35 billion over the next five years, passed a sharply polarized House of Representatives earlier in the day, with almost every Democrat voting in favor of the expansion and most Republicans opposing it.

With the bill, Obama said at a White House ceremony, "We fulfill one of the highest responsibilities that we have -- to ensure the health and well-being of our nation's children."

The president said the bill was a downpayment on his "commitment to cover every single American."

The SCHIP expansion is Obama's second major legislative win in less than a week. The first was Thursday's approval of the Lilly Ledbetter Pay Equity Act, which makes it easier to sue employers for wage-based discrimination.

The expansion is also a sign of the strength of Washington's new Democratic majority. Former President George W. Bush vetoed two similar health care bills in 2007, arguing that the legislation would encourage families to leave the private insurance market for the federally funded, state-run program.

Before the bill's passage, SCHIP covered almost 7 million children whose parents earn too much to qualify for Medicaid -- the federal health insurance program for the poor -- but who can't afford private insurance.

The new law boosts total SCHIP funding to approximately $60 billion. The expanded program will be financed with a 62-cent-per-pack increase in the federal tax on cigarettes.

"This is a day worthy of celebration. There can be no greater cause ... than protecting the well-being of our nation's children," New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone, the legislation's primary House author, said shortly before the bill's final passage on a 290-135 vote.

Passing the health program's expansion is "morally the right thing to do by our children," said freshman Rep. Tom Perriello, D-Virginia. "At a time when the cost of health care is crushing America's families ... this is an important lifeline."

Opponents of the legislation argued that, among other things, it will allow undocumented immigrants to illegally access taxpayer-financed health care, and is insufficiently funded.

"This will go out of control just like all the other [entitlement] programs have, and our children will pay," Rep. Jack Linder, R-Georgia, warned during the House debate Wednesday.

Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, ripped the bill as a "foundation stone for socialized medicine in the United States," arguing that raising the income limit for SCHIP eligibility will serve as the basis for a massive expansion of government-run health care.

The Senate passed the expansion Friday in a 66-32 vote. All those voting against the bill were Republicans, though nine Republicans voted in favor of the measure.
    cnn
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    It always cracks me up how stubborn Republicans are to aid the poor in any way. And now we're talking about innocent, defenseless children and only nine Republicans found the bill to be worth their vote.
    Cubs Bears Bulls Blackhawks FOREVER

I told Jerry Angelo how to land Jay Cutler, and he obliged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CuseDude87 View Post
    It always cracks me up how stubborn Republicans are to aid the poor in any way. And now we're talking about innocent, defenseless children and only nine Republicans found the bill to be worth their vote.
    35 billion is a tough pill to swallow. I think republicans aren't cold hearted they want to help poor, they just a want to help those that pay taxes first, and be want to offset the charges with cuts to other spending.

And as a heads up, be very very very careful when saying republicans never want to help poor innocent defenseless children, because you are going to end up with a Roe Vs Wade discussion in a matter of minutes.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    35 billion is a tough pill to swallow. I think republicans aren't cold hearted they want to help poor, they just a want to help those that pay taxes first, and be want to offset the charges with cuts to other spending.

And as a heads up, be very very very careful when saying republicans never want to help poor innocent defenseless children, because you are going to end up with a Roe Vs Wade discussion in a matter of minutes.
    quite an understatement. they want to help those that pay taxes first, starting from the top income levels and working their way down

vCash
    To come to their defense for a moment, the bulk of Republican Congressman hail from the number one tobacco producer in the world -- The South.

There's no way their constituency is going to be happy with them voting for a bill that'll economically cripple their industry.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash

The amount of money is a non-factor. Both parties pass bills worth billions of dollars all the time. I would say that Republicans wanting to help the poor who pay taxes is true, but their idea of help and the Democrats' idea is far apart.

Ehh, I'm talking about children already requiring the assistance of government to ensure their survival. Regardless of your view on abortion, you can't use fetuses in this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    To come to their defense for a moment, the bulk of Republican Congressman hail from the number one tobacco producer in the world -- The South.

There's no way their constituency is going to be happy with them voting for a bill that'll economically cripple their industry.
    So what's BMD's excuse?
    Cubs Bears Bulls Blackhawks FOREVER

I told Jerry Angelo how to land Jay Cutler, and he obliged.

vCash
    Outstanding news. Congratulations for this one!!

vCash
    The amount of money is a non-factor. Both parties pass bills worth billions of dollars all the time. I would say that Republicans wanting to help the poor who pay taxes is true, but their idea of help and the Democrats' idea is far apart.

Ehh, I'm talking about children already requiring the assistance of government to ensure their survival. Regardless of your view on abortion, you can't use fetuses in this argument.

So what's BMD's excuse?
    I hate children especially poor ones.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    I hate children especially poor ones.
    I knew it! I knew you were an *******! I just knew it!

Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Republicans believe in liberty, limited government, and self reliance. Sometimes people paint that as "hating the poor" but all it really is is a desire to see the government play less of a role in people's day to day lives.

Also, Republicans sometimes think this type of thing could be handled better on a state by state basis, rather than at the federal level.

vCash
    I was glad to see this pass for the sake of the bill itself since I support moves to increase health care, especially for those who need it the most.

But I was also glad just to see that in spite of being heavily bogged down with all the stimulus bill hoopla, Obama is continuing to execute other aspects of his agenda, and the Hill hasn't grinded to a complete halt.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Maybe Glenn Beck and myself are the only two people to see the ridicolousness of this bill. A children's health bill that depends upon cigarette taxes to support it? So are schools now going to start teaching that smoking is good? Because without new smokers, there isn't any funding for this bill. I don't care if this bill benefits little children or not. The government has no right to tell people how much money to give to charity.
    Who Is John Galt? Atlas is Shrugging.

vCash
    Glen Beck's universe: Where "having a healthy population" equates to "giving to charity".

It's so nice not living there.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Glen Beck's universe: Where "having a healthy population" equates to "giving to charity".

It's so nice not living there.
    Glenn Beck is certainly way out there on alot of issues, but I agree with him here. Yes it is charity. My parents pay for my health insurance. Why aren't they eligible for special treatment? Why should one group (the poor) recieve any more help from the government than anyone else? The government needs to stay out of social issues.

vCash
    Health care and education are not rights, they are privelages. I think if parents were forced to start paying for public schooling we would see more involvement by the parents, and an overall better performance by problem students, or removal of problem students which would improve the group as a whole. Right now a lot of these parents have nothing invested in their children's education, they rent, and don't pay property taxes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast