Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Chicago Blackhawks@Vancouver Canucks 2/7 game thread

Winning is starting to become a habit for the Chicago Blackhawks. It's a habit the Vancouver Canucks are struggling to pick up.

The Blackhawks seek their fourth straight victory on Saturday night when they visit a Canucks team seeking consecutive wins for the first time in almost two months.

Chicago (29-13-8) lost three of four games entering the All-Star break, but has come out of the break with wins in four of the first five stops on its eight-game road trip - the second-longest in franchise history and the lengthiest for any team in the league this season.

On Thursday night, Andrew Ladd had two goals and an assist to lead the Blackhawks past Calgary 5-2. It was their third straight win overall, and helped them sweep the season series against the Flames for the first time since 1993-94.

+ Click for larger photo
    Bud Light Hockey Night
    Twitter Game Updates
    CBOE Bench Seat Auctions
    Catch the Hawks at Home
    Photos: @ Canucks (12-20-08)
    Video: @ Canucks (12-20-08)
    "We physically dominated them," said center Dave Bolland, who has three goals and four assists during a season-high five-game point streak.

Chicago, which moved within seven points of first-place Detroit in the Central Division (73), is still less than halfway to its win streak from Dec. 7-28 - a franchise-record nine-game run that included a 3-1 victory in Vancouver (23-20-8) on Dec. 20.

Losing streaks have been the norm lately for the Canucks, who were mired in an eight-game slide (0-5-3) and had lost a team-record nine in a row at home entering Tuesday night's contest against Carolina.

The teams were tied 3-all entering the final minutes before Alex Burrows scored on a short-handed breakaway with 1:22 left to give the Canucks a 4-3 victory - their first since defeating Edmonton on Jan. 7 and their first at GM Place since Dec. 28 versus Ottawa.

"A lot of people probably thought it was going to be another one of those games we wouldn't be able to close," said Burrows, whose 12th goal matched the career high he set last season. "But we found a way to get it done, that's the bottom line, and now it's a lot of pressure off everybody's shoulders."

To win two in a row for the first time since Dec. 14 and 17, though, the Canucks will have to end their three-game skid against the Blackhawks, who have outscored them 11-4 in those matchups.

Chicago has reason to be confident. It is 12-3-0 versus teams from the Northwest Division, and has won all 11 of its matchups this season against Canadian teams, outscoring them 48-17.

The Blackhawks, though, will likely need to overcome Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo, who made 24 saves in Tuesday's win. Luongo is 3-1-0 with a 0.99 GAA and a .955 save percentage at home against the Blackhawks since joining the Canucks in 2006-07.

Chicago has rotated goalies for the last 20 contests, making Saturday Cristobal Huet's turn. He is 9-4-0 with a 1.74 GAA in his last 13 games overall, and has been in net for both wins over the Canucks this season, yielding three goals on 61 shots.

Huet will look to contain Vancouver's newly-formed line of Mats Sundin, Pavol Demitra and Ryan Kesler, which combined for two goals and five assists in its debut Tuesday.

Lets go hawks!!!

vCash
    Hey i have to say I love the Sig below! Go Hawks!

vCash
    For me, this game is all about the goalies. Especially Luongo who we have seen steal many, many games from us in the past. If we can get the puck past Luongo, then I feel good about this game. Let's see how it goes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    For me, this game is all about the goalies. Especially Luongo who we have seen steal many, many games from us in the past. If we can get the puck past Luongo, then I feel good about this game. Let's see how it goes
    huet has to be strong. I dont think we will score 4 goals tonight. i think if he gives up 2 goals we will be ok.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsphan4life View Post
    Hey i have to say I love the Sig below! Go Hawks!
    mine?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DewsSox79 View Post
    mine?
    no, yours SUCKS!!!

vCash
    just wanna drop by and say good luck to you guys. Should be a good game now that we got luongo in net and not sanford/labarbara.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    ^ Have a good game guys!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    ^ Have a good game guys!
    g'luck! shall be exciting

vCash
    "Should be a good game now that we got luongo in net and not sanford/labarbara"

I don't know about that one, since Luongo has come back he has only won 1 game out of 6 and has given up atleast 4 goals in 4 of those games. I can't explain it, but he is getting lit up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    just wanna drop by and say good luck to you guys. Should be a good game now that we got luongo in net and not sanford/labarbara.
    u2 SFGiants......hey now,,,, no excuses on the last game with not having luongo. can i have an excuse with huet starting tonight?? hehehehe just playing

vCash
    Just cobwebs I would guess

Should be a good one

vCash
    This is to Boom!.. well it's pretty hard to stop shots wen you constantly have defensive breakdowns and teams have point blank shots.

yes i do realize luongo is rusty and not playing how he normally is. but, the defense isn't helping one bit. And don't get me started with the penalties...
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    This is to Boom!.. well it's pretty hard to stop shots wen you constantly have defensive breakdowns and teams have point blank shots.

yes i do realize luongo is rusty and not playing how he normally is. but, the defense isn't helping one bit. And don't get me started with the penalties...
    no matter the rust. luongo is still elite

vCash
    8 game road trips suck!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast