Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

America in favor of Obama's economic plan

Obama economic plan gets high marks

By a large majority, voters favor President-elect Barack Obama’s wide-ranging policy prescriptions to aid the faltering economy, according to a new Politico/Allstate poll.

The survey of 1,007 registered voters conducted Dec. 27-29 showed that 79 percent of respondents favored Obama’s plan. The president-elect is advocating a $775 billion stimulus that includes a major investment in infrastructure projects and alternative energy as well as middle-class tax cuts, job training and health care reform.

Nearly 90 percent said they are either somewhat or very dissatisfied with the current state of the economy, and more than 60 percent said the country is heading down the wrong track. But while voters are cynical about the present, 56 percent expressed confidence that the economy will improve significantly in the next 12 months.

Political consultant Bill Knapp, who oversaw the poll, said those numbers suggest that voters have high expectations for the incoming administration and patience for things to turn around as long as they believe things are getting done.

“There is patience to exactly when and how, but the thing people will be unforgiving about is if there is a sense that instead of getting things done, we are talking about politics and pork,” Knapp said. “The failure to get something done is a bigger threat than not making progress quickly enough.”

“There is a long leash for turning the economy around, but not for the political system,” he said.

Obama’s favorability ratings remain high, with 63 percent of respondents holding a positive view of the president-elect and only 18 percent voicing a negative one.

Democrats in Congress, however, garnered positive ratings from just 41 percent of those surveyed, while their GOP counterparts registered only 24 percent. Meanwhile, large corporations rate positively among only 21 percent of voters, with 51 percent expressing negative feelings.

Knapp said the low ratings for American business and Congress reflect a sense that “people are really unhappy with the direction of the country and the economy.”

Big Business and the federal government received nearly equal blame from respondents for the economic downturn. When asked who deserves most of the blame, 31 percent said Wall Street firms, while 30 percent said loose government oversight and regulation.

Respondents showed support for stricter regulations, especially in the financial sector. Sixty percent said stricter enforcement and stronger regulation of financial firms would be very effective in curbing future abuses, and 59 percent said it was important for the Obama administration to “put in place a wide range of tough new regulations on business to protect consumers.”

“People think the federal government and business is responsible for the problem,” Knapp said. “There is a social contract the two are supposed to have that people feel has been shredded.”
    Politico
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash

On the same topic...

Obama Delivering Big Economic Speech Today, Promoting Stimulus Package

The article is pretty long, mostly comprised of excerpts from the prepared statements for Obama's speech, so just check the link if interested.

Here also is an interview he did the day before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAAtWNWNkCs
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Assuming even 30% of Americans have the intelligence to understand Obama's plan, I think it's pretty obvious most Americans just want help in this economy. Not saying Obama's plan is a bad one per se, but the American people will take anything at this point that helps Main Street.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    If you took the exact same plan and said it was Bush's economic plan, only 25% would be for it, so this tells us absolutely nothing.

vCash
    The different mentalities are comical ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    The different mentalities are comical ...
    True, but you disagree with my statement?

vCash
    Not entirely ... but, then again, this isn't the sort of package that Bush would put together. So, it's clearly impossible to make that generalization.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    True, but you disagree with my statement?
    I disagree, because it implies GW would put forth an economic proposal, or one that would be beneficial at all. but the 25% seems to be his number for approval rating for everything, coincidence?

It makes me laugh that the GW supporters and people like Rush love to say "they won't have GW to blame much longer", but in the same breath say GW inherited an underlying recession from CLinton. Hilarious. If they honestly think the GW effect can't be drug out for years they're kidding themselves, just watch.

vCash
    Well my point is that Obama has a honeymoon period. Not sure when it ends, but for awhile, everyone will be happy and optimistic about anything he does. It will ultimately be up to him how long it lasts. I'm just saying I don't put much stock into the 79% in favor of his plan.
    Last edited by b1e9a8r5s; 01-08-2009 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    What that says though is that the population (those that pay attention -- voters -- at least) are willing to give it a shot. And, we're talking about hundreds of billions of dollars, and possibly in excess of a trillion.

They won't necessarily stand for any type of congressional opposition that hinders the success of the Obama recovery plan.

In other words: "do what you have to do to make it work."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    What that says though is that the population (those that pay attention -- voters -- at least) are willing to give it a shot. And, we're talking about hundreds of billions of dollars, and possibly in excess of a trillion.

They won't necessarily stand for any type of congressional opposition that hinders the success of the Obama recovery plan.

In other words: "do what you have to do to make it work."
    You know, G, you really oughta put who Brzezinski is speaking to into your sig.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    You know, G, you really oughta put who Brzezinski is speaking to into your sig.
    Good call, J.

vCash
    I don't quite understand the plan.

He's "investing" in infrastructure and all that stuff...but what happens when that stuff is built? How does this have any long term impact on the economy, and doesn't the trillion dollars of new spending eventually handcuff the economy? I don't get it. The states have been spending on this kind of crap, and a lot of them are bankrupt.

And 79% of Americans supporting Obama's economic plan doesn't really mean anything to me.

vCash
    Um, national interstate system for example, maybe? What did that do?

Investment in infrastructure that makes things more efficient (electronic medical records) and cost effective (new national electrical grid) usually results in an increase in productivity at lower costs ... leading to more jobs.

Also, somebody has to build all this new "stuff," so it puts money into people's pockets increasing spending and revitalizing a stagnant economy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    I don't quite understand the plan.

He's "investing" in infrastructure and all that stuff...but what happens when that stuff is built? How does this have any long term impact on the economy, and doesn't the trillion dollars of new spending eventually handcuff the economy? I don't get it. The states have been spending on this kind of crap, and a lot of them are bankrupt.

And 79% of Americans supporting Obama's economic plan doesn't really mean anything to me.
    It is called priming a pump while at the same time putting in the metaphorical circulatory system to allow our nation to thrive.

Go back to your econ class and study about velocity of money. This whole thing is about getting money moving, After it is moving it builds on itself.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast