Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Report: Gillibrand To Get Hillary's Senate Seat

Report: Gillibrand To Get Hillary's Senate Seat

The Albany Times Union and other outlets are reporting that New York Gov. David Paterson will appoint upstate Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand to Hillary Clinton's former Senate seat.

Gillibrand was first elected in 2006 in a narrow win against incumbent Republican Rep. John Sweeney, then won by a landslide in 2008 against wealthy businessman Sandy Treadwell. Gillibrand proved to be a prolific fundraiser herself in that race, spending over $4 million.

So Paterson gets to a) court women voters, b) court upstate voters, and c) recruit a candidate who can bring in a lot of money in case of a tough race.

It makes sense.
    tpm
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Cool. I think it's a good pick. The seat gets to remain female and still not Caroline.
    Last edited by SmthBluCitrus; 01-23-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    What happened to AG Cuamo?
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Paterson and Cuomo don't like each other very much.

Andrew Cuomo's Problem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Paterson and Cuomo don't like each other very much.

Andrew Cuomo's Problem
    I thought it was hinging on Cuomo finding a replacement.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    I don't think Cuomo got to name his replacement ...

Guess who picks the new state AG if Paterson picks Cuomo? The state Assembly and its leader, the irascible and politically irritating Sheldon Silver. After Alan Hevesi was forced to resign the position of state comptroller in December 2006, Silver defied the preferences of then-Gov. Eliot Spitzer and got the Assembly to hand the post to Assemblymember Thomas DiNapoli (D-Nassau County). I'd be very surprised if Paterson would want to create a new vacancy outside of his control to fill one that's within his control.

vCash
    Gillibrand will be alright. She's from the district north of my old home district and she took out a long time GOP incumbant 2 years ago. She was reelected in a landslide this year -- in a relatively Republican district.

My friends in NY will be happy with this one.

Ironically, when Paterson was calling around, one of the people he called was Edgar Bronfman. And my friend Jason who works, in part, for the Bronfmans had suggested to Edgar that he recommend Gillibrand to Paterson. Edgar's response, "who the heck is that?"

Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash

The only things that I see against this move are that she'll be a tough sell statewide in 2010 -- she may lose in the primary. And, it will be tough for the Democratic Party to hold her now vacated House seat.
    Last edited by SmthBluCitrus; 01-23-2009 at 10:42 AM.

vCash
    Yeah agreed. Caroline would have had an easier time running in 2010 and then again in 2012. Gonna be hard for Gillibrand to raise all that cash imo.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post

The only things that I see against this move are that she'll be a tough sell statewide in 2010 -- she may lose in the primary. And, it will be tough for the Democratic Party to hold her now vacated House seat.
    I don't know. If she can win in Clifton Park, NY, she can definitely win statewide. And the Democratic machine in Albany will support that idea.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    I suppose I don't know enough about New York politics to make a reasoned assumption. But, it's going to cost a lot of money to get her re-elected in 2010 -- and possibly again in '12.

vCash
    While I preferred Cuomo, I definitely did not want Caroline Kennedy what in general would she do for New York? I never liked her, but thats also because I believe the first time she only got elected because Sweeney basically ****ed himself over and as well. But the resounding victory up here in a primarily republican district has proved people like her.

Treadwell seriously campaigned for a year and gave up at the end so she is popular. I like though that she will bring the upstate of New York into the senate, Schumer somewhat does but not really and Hillary didn't at all.

edit: On the note of Cuomo, I think hes better as the AG but I would love to see what he could do at another level. He has done alot in the little time he has been the AG in New York.
    Last edited by yboord028; 01-23-2009 at 01:47 PM.

vCash
    She sure can talk. The Gov, had to tell her to cut it short. Well, if he wasn't late.

Anyway, she sounded OK. Now to see if she can wing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yboord028 View Post
    While I preferred Cuomo, I definitely did not want Caroline Kennedy what in general would she do for New York? I never liked her, but thats also because I believe the first time she only got elected because Sweeney basically ****ed himself over and as well. But the resounding victory up here in a primarily republican district has proved people like her.

Treadwell seriously campaigned for a year and gave up at the end so she is popular. I like though that she will bring the upstate of New York into the senate, Schumer somewhat does but not really and Hillary didn't at all.

edit: On the note of Cuomo, I think hes better as the AG but I would love to see what he could do at another level. He has done alot in the little time he has been the AG in New York.
    Exactly. As I said, if she can win in Clifton Park, there's no reason why NY as a whole won't like her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Exactly. As I said, if she can win in Clifton Park, there's no reason why NY as a whole won't like her.
    It's gonna be about money not statewide appeal. And outside of Kennedy, it's gonna be really hard for someone to fund back to back statewide elections. Especially when in 2010 Chuck Schumer is also up for re-election, so the Democratic Party will be donating to both campaigns... and probably giving more to Schumer.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast