Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Synthetic Oil for cars (How many miles can you really go on it before changing it)

I usually get Synthetic oil for my vehicle so that I don't have to change the oil every 3000-3500 miles. Now I go around 5500-6000 miles on Synthetic oil. However, I noticed as I went to the gas station that for Mobile Oil (synthetic) that it says you can drive your car for 1 year or 15,000 miles on it, whichever comes first.

I want to know do any of you use that? Is that accurate? Can you really drive a car for 1 year or 15,000 miles on 1 oil change where the oil is still good as if on a regular oil change of 3000 miles?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    full synthetic i heard 8000... i think there is oil that you can go 15000 miles... because i seen the comercial on tv

vCash
    It's like $10 to change your own oil or $25-30 to get someone to do it for you. Why risk messing up your engine by not changing oil?

EDIT: if you use Syn, the costs go up, but it's still not worth the risk of not changing your oil for 15K.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    It's like $10 to change your own oil or $25-30 to get someone to do it for you. Why risk messing up your engine by not changing oil?

EDIT: if you use Syn, the costs go up, but it's still not worth the risk of not changing your oil for 15K.
    Recession!

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    I have one of my guys change my oil, but I usually forget and I go 6k miles. It's fine.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    I don't think I'd go 15k even on synthetic oil. Even if the oil maintains its integrity, it will start to get dirty and accumulate tiny bits of rubber and metal. You don't want those cycling through your engine for that long. Going a full year without a new filter and new oil sounds like a recipe for premature wear.

vCash
    i use synthetic in all my cars and change them every 3000 miles religiously. the engine runs smoother and quieter. one of my employee drives a 03 toyota tacoma company truck with over 200k miles and the thing just runs, part of it has to do with it being a toyota of course.

vCash
    You probably could get 15,000 miles out of it, but I wouldn't risk it. The bigger risk is not checking your oil. It's better to have old oil in there than a 2/3 full oil pan. Most older cars will burn oil, so you need to check your oil at least once a month to make sure it's at full.

vCash
    Ive gone about 10,000 miles before without changing my oil but that was when I was in high school and didnt really care. I change mine about every 4000-5000 miles now.

vCash
    Just check your oil every 3k miles or so..

vCash
    Dont know where your buying your stuff but 10 bucks to change your own oil? Guess you dont buy a filter everytime..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dburch1102 View Post
    Dont know where your buying your stuff but 10 bucks to change your own oil? Guess you dont buy a filter everytime..
    Agreed that $10 is too cheap, but

(for my vehicle which uses a relatively common filter size)

Cost of Oil filter - $4.49
    Cost of 6 quarts of 10w30 or 5w30 (depending on season) - $12.99

Total Cost - $17.48

Say you change your oil exactly every 3000 miles (at $25 at an oil change place), and your car runs 150,000 miles - $358 dollars saved over the lifetime of your vehicle. That doesn't sound like a ton, but given that some service stations pull oil up through the dipstick tube (leaving all of the gunk in the oil pan) or will use SAE30 (not appropriate for passenger cars) or 10w30 on many newer cars (again, not appropriate because of tighter clearances in newer engines), changing your own oil is worth the small time/effort.

As for synthetic oils, depends on the SynOil as to how long it will last. Even with reg. oil, 3k is a suggestion. If you change your oil quarterly (assuming you're an average driver who drives 40 miles in his/her commute to work), that's ok. Motor oil is pretty tough stuff, and if you don't have something that uses motor oil to tension your timing chain, you're ok going past the 3k mark. If you don't drive the hell out of your vehicle, it'll last for an incredibly long time.
    Last edited by db75; 01-23-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: 3k...not 3000k...whoops
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    Synthetic oil can last longer than regular motor oil.... at the most twice as long. (6000 miles compared to 3000 miles) Although if you baby your car or have a high performance car you should still change it between 3000-3500 miles even if it is synthetic.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and change it religiously right after 3000 miles. I feel better knowing my car is getting the best and getting it often.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    Synthetic oil can last longer than regular motor oil.... at the most twice as long. (6000 miles compared to 3000 miles) Although if you baby your car or have a high performance car you should still change it between 3000-3500 miles even if it is synthetic.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and change it religiously right after 3000 miles. I feel better knowing my car is getting the best and getting it often.
    Not entirely true. Synthetic oils, in theory, should last 25k or more. The problem is in their contamination. Currently, that can't be avoided, but who knows what technologies will develop in the future. The SynOil itself is good, but because of its environment, it should be changed more frequently. And like I had said some earlier, 3k is a suggestion and not always that true. At 3k, oil changes are overkill. The oil is still a strong lubricant and can suspend plenty of contaminating particles at that time. Even up to 7k is ok, but you shouldn't go any farther than that.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    We go 10k on synthetic oil between oil changes or 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast