Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

CBJ Rookies: Who's worth more?

The Jackets are loaded with talented kids, and I was arguing with a friend about the trade values of these guys. I ranked em like this after Brassard's injury.

1. Mason
    2. Filatov
    3. Voracek
    4. Brassard
    5. Dorsett

Again, trade value, not who's the best. These five have to be the best rookie quintet in the NHL too, right? Please disagree.
    Yeah it's a palindrome
    Go Cubs Go! O-H! Go CBJ! Go Phins!

vCash
    Mason has the highest trade value but you wouldnt trade Mason cause he is looking like a franchise goaltender. You also wouldnt trade Filatov or Voracek but they probably have similar value both being rookies and being very good young players. Brassard would have much MUCH lesser trade value because he is gone for the year. Dorsett is interesting. As a fighter he is probably worth nothing but a 4th to 7th round pick in return but he is also a young player with potential for more so I dont know.

1. Mason
    2. Voracek
    3. Filatov
    4. Brassard
    5. Dorsett

vCash
    McJoe- My bad, I should have said that this is purely hypothetical, since the Jackets would be nuts to give up any of the first 4. No one's on the block or anything, this just came from an argument with a buddy who said the same thing you did, that Voracek is worth more than Filatov.

Filatov's younger, more dynamic, with more of a scorer's mentality. Voracek is a playmaker. I think the ceiling's much higher on Filatov. He's a potential perennial all-star (way down the line) with the risk he'll go back to Russia or just become a one-dimensional shooter.

Voracek is further along, but he seems like a worker. Yeah he's got skills, but doesn't necessarily have the gifts that Filatov does. He's smart, plays with passion and grit, but doesn't seem to have that thing that screams 'greatness' when you watch him. I'm not an expert, and this is just my opinion (along with tidbits of various scouting reports I've read)
    Yeah it's a palindrome

vCash
    Voracek reminds me of like a Jason Spezza on the wing. GREAT hands and fantastic vision but can throw in his great shot every once in a while. Filatov looks more like Ovie with half the ability. Maybe like someone along the lines of Alex Kovalev. He is definitely a shooter who can snipe many many times but he seems like he will be a 1-way player on offence while Voracek looks like he could be a 2-way player.

Really the two of them are a toss up

and no you definitely wont find another group of rookies like this one in the league right now and Mason might just take them all the way to the playoffs(not to mention my fantasy teams all the way to a championship )

vCash
    Ha! The rooks are alright, but I prolly should have included Russel in there too. A 21 yr old d-man who's got rockets on his skates is a top commodity in the nhl, and defensemen usually take a bit longer to develop with notable exceptions (coughDoughtycough).

Glad you've had faith in Stonewall Mason for awhile McJoe, it almost excuses you for being a Leafs fan .

Big game this Friday, with Torres, Nash and Murray hopefully coming back. Be interesting to see if Filatov gets sent down with Rick coming back. I think the Kovalev comparison for Filatov makes a lot of sense as of today. I'd rather he turned into Ovie, but if he was the second coming of Alexei, I wouldn't complain. Although I don't think that's the kind of player Hitchcock wants to see a lot of... he likes Voracek though! Who'da thunk it, a kid Hitch likes...
    Last edited by Buckcub; 01-15-2009 at 11:36 PM.
    Yeah it's a palindrome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckcub View Post
    Ha! The rooks are alright, but I prolly should have included Russel in there too. A 21 yr old d-man who's got rockets on his skates is a top commodity in the nhl, and defensemen usually take a bit longer to develop with notable exceptions (coughDoughtycough).

Glad you've had faith in Stonewall Mason for awhile McJoe, it almost excuses you for being a Leafs fan .

Big game this Friday, with Torres, Nash and Murray hopefully coming back. Be interesting to see if Filatov gets sent down with Rick coming back. I think the Kovalev comparison for Filatov makes a lot of sense as of today. I'd rather he turned into Ovie, but if he was the second coming of Alexei, I wouldn't complain. Although I don't think that's the kind of player Hitchcock wants to see a lot of... he likes Voracek though! Who'da thunk it, a kid Hitch likes...
    I actually didnt like Mason when he was in the world juniors...he didnt make any saves cause the defence was so great and he didnt play as well as Bernier did and for some reason Bernier was the backup. Much like Tokarski and Pickard this year(pickard is far superior).

Kris Russell is another player who is very good who i really like and Voracek is one of my favourite young players in the league. I really wish the Leafs had had a pick in that draft so we couldve had a shot at him. Hitchcock likes Voracek because he backchecks I think. Hitch is one of those guys who wont look at a kid if he is a one-way player who makes too many moves and is just flashy. Voracek doesnt make the extra move usually and he backchecks and works hard. The kind of player that all coaches like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I actually didnt like Mason when he was in the world juniors...he didnt make any saves cause the defence was so great and he didnt play as well as Bernier did and for some reason Bernier was the backup. Much like Tokarski and Pickard this year(pickard is far superior).
    Huh, I didn't get to see any of the world juniors, but usually when I hear about them, they're referenced as the time when Mason arrived. A precursor to what he's doing now. It's always interesting to get a different take. Thanks!

The Leafs have a pretty good young tender of themselves up there in Pogge. Good luck with him!
    Yeah it's a palindrome

vCash
    Columbus will go down to Toronto

vCash
    Mason keep your head up?