Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jonathan Niese - Focusing on Earning Rotation Slot

Niese focused on earning rotation slot
    Rookie southpaw not concerned with Mets' offseason moves

by ANTHONY DiCOMO, MLB.com

NEW YORK -- He has spent this winter as a footnote, a minor detail in a rather elaborate offseason plan. And even that status is fading. The more the Mets spend and the more the Mets scheme, the less likely it becomes that Jonathon Niese will remain a part of their most immediate plans.

Yet with three big league outings to his credit, Niese is currently the team's fourth starter. And with no resolution expected soon regarding free agents Derek Lowe, Oliver Perez or Randy Wolf, Niese is apt to retain his footing for at least the near future.

He could linger even longer. Common sense and finite wallets have suggested that the Mets are unlikely to sign both Lowe and Perez, the top free-agent starters remaining on the market, and therefore are unlikely to seriously undermine Niese's chances of making the rotation. So far, in fact, the Mets have done just the opposite, telling their top pitching prospect to come to Spring Training prepared to battle for the fifth starter's role.

"I feel good about my situation," Niese said this week from his home in Defiance, Ohio. "I'm going into camp fighting for a job, and that's basically all I'm worried about."

Yet he's well aware of where he stands. Should the Mets sign Lowe -- and the majority of this offseason's white noise has indicated that they will -- Niese will fall from fourth on the rotational depth chart into a battle with fellow rookie Bobby Parnell for fifth.

Should the club also sign Wolf, Tim Redding or Pedro Martinez, Niese will have a few more -- and more experienced and more expensive -- counterparts to battle. And should the Mets throw any additional starters into the mix, Niese's task will grow more difficult still.

"So my competition," Niese said, ignoring all that, "basically is myself."

He's just happy to have an opportunity, however undefined it may be. Invited to Spring Training last season as filler for the roster, Niese impressed his superiors enough to earn a ride on the Minor League fast track, which landed him in the Majors by the first week of September.

Two poor starts and one outstanding start later, his season ended amidst rumors that he might have to take the ball in a critical game down the stretch -- an assignment that ultimately went to Johan Santana on short rest. And Niese will enter this season as one of the team's most valued young assets, ranking just behind outfielder Fernando Martinez in terms of pure prospect hype.

Unlike Martinez, however, Niese now has big league experience. Three whole starts tend to hold weight in a game of fractions, regardless of their quality. And the quality of that one good one -- eight innings, no runs, seven strikeouts and a victory -- has given Niese reason to believe that he may fulfill his rotational aspirations sooner rather than later.

"I picked up a lot of confidence with that win, actually knowing that I can do that -- knowing that I belong," Niese said.

Who else belongs? Lowe, perhaps. Perez, perhaps. Others, perhaps, as well. It's tough to see the future at this point, so Niese won't bother squinting. He's got his own worries to deal with, including a bow-shooting expedition this weekend and an impending shift in his offseason throwing program -- he's due to start pitching off a mound in the coming days.

Next week, Niese will fly to Virginia for the Players Association's rookie development program, a collection of seminars designed to teach the game's top prospects the ins and outs of being a big leaguer.

He has already learned pieces of that information, gleaned from those three starts last September. And much of it will be of use come April, regardless of whether Niese is spending it in the big leagues.

"I can't really be worried about who is going to be in the rotation and who's not," Niese said. "All they told me is to go into camp in shape and looking to fight for a job. Now it's all about just going out there and performing."

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym

vCash
    I love his positive attitude, work hard and you'll get the job, slack and you'll lose it. I only hope that if he dose get the job, they let him stick with it like they did with pelf, not send him down, killing his confidence like royce ring or heath bell

vCash
    I love the attitude.
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    niese wont get a spot now that they got redding who sucks this rotation wouldnt be so hot.
    Johan
    pelfrey
    Maine
    redding
    neise

2 good starters one who's a ? mark with injury last two yuck!!

vCash
    Hopefully he does well for us this season. Can't really expect too much out of him though. If he can manage to pitch 100 innings and keep his ERA under 5.00 this season I would consider it to be a successful season for him.
    Mets - heart attacks
    Jets - primed for Superbowl run but will probably disappoint as usual
    Knicks - lol, and probably wont get Lebron either

**** sports.

vCash
    I love the attitude, he knows that he needs to perform to get a spot in the rotation. Competion is always a good thing. Go Niese.

vCash
    I still think he has a shot. The Mets sign Lowe or Perez and then I think it will be a fight for the last spot with Niese and Redding. I think if Niese does better than Redding in spring training that Redding could possibly be used as a long reliever and Niese taking the 5th spot.
    Mikhail Prokhorov

vCash
    lets go Nieseee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GO YANKS View Post
    niese wont get a spot now that they got redding who sucks this rotation wouldnt be so hot.
    Johan
    pelfrey
    Maine
    redding
    neise

Don't worry about our team, you **** face. Stop coming in here and baiting.

TRIPOD!

vCash
    Johan
    pelfrey
    Maine
    redding
    neise

Redding was signed to battle for the 5th spot with Niese

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Redding was signed to battle for the 5th spot with Niese
    And/or for more pitching depth. He is not the answer nor the solution, but he is the piece to the puzzle.

vCash
    Johan
    pelfrey
    Maine
    redding
    neise

why do you constantly come in here and talk ****? Dont you have your own forum?

just so we're clear.....Niese is better than Rasner, Giese, Clippard, Kennedy, and whatever other garbage you guys have brought up these last couple years. Focus on your own team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post

just so we're clear.....Niese is better than Rasner, Giese, Clippard, Kennedy, and whatever other garbage you guys have brought up these last couple years. Focus on your own team.
    I'd have to agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW View Post
    And/or for more pitching depth. He is not the answer nor the solution, but he is the piece to the puzzle.
    ****ing THANK YOU. Apparently people on this forum (outside of the Mets forum) have never heard of back-ups.
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post

and hughes.

Redding if nothing else adds depth. I wouldn't be surrpised to see niese get the spot then the yankees crying to the mets for a trade, overpaying cause joba and hughes didn't plan out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast