Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Obama Leaves Door Open To Investigating Bush, But Wants To "Look Forward"

Obama Leaves Door Open To Investigating Bush, But Wants To "Look Forward"
    January 11, 2009 11:10 AM

Responding to the most popular inquiry on the "Open for Questions" feature of his website, Barack Obama said on Sunday that he is "evaluating" whether or not to investigate potential crimes of the Bush administration, but that he was inclined to "look forward as opposed to looking backwards."

The answer was delivered during an interview to This Week With George Stephanopoulos. But the question itself has been weeks in the work.

The Obama transition team, as part of its efforts to open up the political process, had allowed web users to vote on questions for the incoming administration to field. To the top rose a query from Bob Fertik, president of Democrats.com and a former Clinton White House technology official, asking whether the incoming administration would appoint a special prosecutor to "independently investigate the greatest crimes of the Bush administration, including torture and warrantless wiretapping."
    Huffington

vCash
    There was a really interesting article in Time about this regarding Bush's legacy of torture. They said it might be prudent of Obama to pardon Bush, because then it's a permanent, unspinnable record that Bush in fact authorized torture.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    There was a really interesting article in Time about this regarding Bush's legacy of torture. They said it might be prudent of Obama to pardon Bush, because then it's a permanent, unspinnable record that Bush in fact authorized torture.
    That makes some sense...

But in any case, it really is time to move forward. Obsessing over Bush isn't going to get the economy moving again. It isn't going to deweaponize Hamas or Al Qaeda. Nor is it going to do anything beneficial to either Bush or Obama's records.

I listened to Bush's final press conference today and I honestly feel for the guy. Sure he's made a lot of bad choices over the last eight years, but I do believe that he legitimately thought they were the right choices to make. He really does sound sorry for polarizing the nation and effectively turning people against the Republican party.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    That makes some sense...

But in any case, it really is time to move forward. Obsessing over Bush isn't going to get the economy moving again. It isn't going to deweaponize Hamas or Al Qaeda. Nor is it going to do anything beneficial to either Bush or Obama's records.

I listened to Bush's final press conference today and I honestly feel for the guy. Sure he's made a lot of bad choices over the last eight years, but I do believe that he legitimately thought they were the right choices to make. He really does sound sorry for polarizing the nation and effectively turning people against the Republican party.
    You and I saw a different presser. He is really unhappy about the polarization, but I never heard him take one iota of responsibility for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    You and I saw a different presser. He is really unhappy about the polarization, but I never heard him take one iota of responsibility for it.
    He did say he was sorry about the rhetoric. Though he never apologised about the "Democrat Party" line.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    He did say he was sorry about the rhetoric. Though he never apologised about the "Democrat Party" line.
    That is exactly what he said, then he went on to say how he never used it, but kind of passed up on the responsibility of his staff using that kind of rhetoric. He was the origianal let's compromise, do it my way, guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    That is exactly what he said, then he went on to say how he never used it, but kind of passed up on the responsibility of his staff using that kind of rhetoric. He was the origianal let's compromise, do it my way, guy.
    Gotcha.

vCash
    After Clinton's trouble, we don't need another dog and pony show in DC. It's polarizing, ill use of time when, like ari's posted, we got more pressing things to deal with. I don't want to see a repeat of Clinton's last term. Let the republican continue to shoot themselves in the arse, while Obama work on the counrty's ills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    After Clinton's trouble, we don't need another dog and pony show in DC. It's polarizing, ill use of time when, like ari's posted, we got more pressing things to deal with. I don't want to see a repeat of Clinton's last term. Let the republican continue to shoot themselves in the arse, while Obama work on the counrty's ills.
    I really don't know how were shooting ourselves so please elaborate. It's also hard to get things done when there are not only continuing hiccups within your own cabinet, but also the whole democratic party.
    Last edited by Cubsrule; 01-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    That makes some sense...

I understand what you're saying in your first full paragraph, and I would agree with you for the most part. But take a moment and think about how easy and non-time consuming it would be for Obama to appoint an independent investigator to look over the presidential records himself. It would not be on the President to look into it himself, thus alleviating the trouble of getting "the economy moving again" or "deweaponiz[ing] Hamas or Al Qaeda." I wouldn't mind seeing the Bush administration paying for their eight years in office.

As for the second paragraph, I agree whoelheartedly with cab. He looked upset that his party is in trouble, due in large part to his and his administration's actions, but in no way did I see him take ANY responsibility for anything he has ever been accused of doing. And to me, that doesn't deserve pity in the least.
    Cubs Bears Bulls Blackhawks FOREVER

I told Jerry Angelo how to land Jay Cutler, and he obliged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CuseDude87 View Post
    I understand what you're saying in your first full paragraph, and I would agree with you for the most part. But take a moment and think about how easy and non-time consuming it would be for Obama to appoint an independent investigator to look over the presidential records himself. It would not be on the President to look into it himself, thus alleviating the trouble of getting "the economy moving again" or "deweaponiz[ing] Hamas or Al Qaeda." I wouldn't mind seeing the Bush administration paying for their eight years in office.

As for the second paragraph, I agree whoelheartedly with cab. He looked upset that his party is in trouble, due in large part to his and his administration's actions, but in no way did I see him take ANY responsibility for anything he has ever been accused of doing. And to me, that doesn't deserve pity in the least.
    Oh of course Obama wouldn't be doing it himself. What I meant was that the whole matter would just be a big distraction and potentially cost Obama a bit of political capital -- that's where Obama loses out of solving real crises.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    I really don't know how were shooting ourselves so please elaborate. It's also hard to get things done when there are not only continuing hiccups within your own cabinet, but also the whole democratic party.
    Sorry it took so long to answer your question. Shooting oneself in the butt= doing things that hurt oneself. Forgetting about Osama to look for WMD in Iraq. Bush taking two days to come off his vacation to address the Katrina damages. Sending a FEMA director, with horse show experiences, to give aid and comfort to the Katrina victims. Releasing pictures of himself looking sadly out the window at the damage. Ignoring danger signs in the housing boom (even if the democrats did the same thing, the republican were in control). Gramm saying the nation were abunch of whinners. McCain saying the economy was fine. Palin, her missteps was SNL's gain, not being able to name which papers she reads and governing a state next door to Russia made her verse in international affairs. the RNC leadership candidate special christmas CD. Attacking the union salaries. Sorry if it seems like I'm Bush bashing, McCain bashing, Gramm bashing and Pallin bashing, but you asked. The voters remembered these missteps when they stepped into the voter booth back in Nov. If Bush had gotten Osama's head instead of take us on his magical Iraq tour, Obama may never had won.

vCash
    That makes some sense...

Sorry Ari, there is to much pain in this country. Wounded soliders from Iraq to a little old lady, who can't sell her home (my mom). I have family members who waited days for relieve in New Orleans after Katrina. We went days without knowing wheter they were dead or alive. So alot of his "thinking he was doing the right thing" isn't good enough. If republicans have a bad taste in their mouth about Clinton's bj, think about what I taste in my mouth about this fumble-butt, mentally challange buffoon. I won't bash Bush no more in this forum, but my people aren't going to forget about Bush for a long time and definitely staying in the democrat (lesser of two poisons) camp. Yeah, he is sorry he messed up his place in history and his party. A real man stands up and admitts his mistakes. Guess being president for some means punking out.
    Last edited by WES445; 01-15-2009 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Sorry Ari, there is to much pain in this country. Wounded soliders from Iraq to a little old lady, who can't sell her home (my mom). I have family members who waited days for relieve in New Orleans after Katrina. We went days without knowing wheter they were dead or alive. So alot of his "thinking he was doing the right thing" isn't good enough. If republicans have a bad taste in their mouth about Clinton's bj, think about what I taste in my mouth about this fumble-butt, mentally challange buffoon. I won't bash Bush no more in this forum, but my people aren't going to forget about Bush for a long time and definitely staying in the democrat (lesser of two poisons) camp. Yeah, he is sorry he messed up his place in history and his party. A real man stands up and admitts his mistakes. Guess being president for some means punking out.
    Oh come on, when have we ever forced a president to admit he was wrong? Not even Nixon ever admitted he was wrong in his actions. It just doesn't happen.

vCash
    Oh, my bad. I forgot there is a double standard for politicans. What our parent didn't accept from us or we didn't accept from our children, we accept from our leaders? Do you think this is why people stop voting or believing in this country? Maybe I am being simple minded about this, or I think this way because I grew up during a time when blacks fought against the double standards forced on them. I am not for charging Bush for the things his adminstration did (we need to move on), but I won't believe he is sorry for the harm he done.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast