Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Week 8 Polls: FSU stuck at #2, SEC dominates top 5

FSU failed to overtake Mississippi State despite their win over Notre Dame on Saturday. The rest of the teams in the top 5 on the AP poll are from the SEC West, while top SEC East team Georgia sits at #9.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame's tough loss only dropped them to 7th in the AP poll, and 8th in the Coaches Poll. Baylor drops to 12 in the AP and 13 in the Coaches Poll from their upset loss to West Virginia. Their loss likely means the end of the Big 12's hopes for a playoff team. On the other hand, the Mountaineers jump into the top 25 in both polls- 22nd for the AP, and 25th in the Coaches Poll.

Our favorite team to hate in the rankings from last week was TAMU, and after their blowout loss to Alabama 59-0, they finally drop off the top 25, possibly never to return this season.

AP Poll

1. Mississippi State (43 first place votes)

2. Florida State (14)

3. Ole Miss (3)

4. Alabama

5. Auburn

6. Oregon

7. Notre Dame

8. Michigan State

9. Georgia

10. TCU

11. Kansas State

12. Baylor

13. Ohio State

14. Arizona State

15. Arizona

16. Nebraska

17. Oklahoma

18. East Carolina

19. Utah

20. USC

21. Clemson

22. West Virginia

23. Marshall

24. LSU

25. UCLA

Coaches Poll

1. Mississippi State (36)

2. Florida State (22)

3. Ole Miss (4)

4. Alabama

5. Michigan State

6. Auburn

7. Oregon

8. Notre Dame

9. Georgia

10. TCU

11. Kansas State

12. Ohio State

13. Baylor

14. Arizona State

15. Arizona

16. Nebraska

17. East Carolina

18. Oklahoma

19. Utah

20. Clemson

21. Southern California

22. Marshall

23. LSU

24. Minnesota

25. West Virginia

vCash
    I just don't know how people can possibly say there isn't bias towards the SEC.

vCash
    As an Oregon fan the good news is it looks like if we win out we'll be in the playoff as Alabama still has to play Auburn and Ole Miss still has to play Miss. State. And Ole Miss still has to play Auburn and Miss. State still has to play Alabama. Simply put, there's no way 3 of those teams come out with 1 loss. Given that you'd likely have Florida State, 1 (or 2) SEC teams and then Oregon as the most highly thought of 1 loss team.

Of course winning out is a lot easier said than done
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I just don't know how people can possibly say there isn't bias towards the SEC.
    Well yeah it's the best division in football. I mean out of those SEC teams which one would you take out of the top 4?

There you go thumper

vCash
    Oh god I hope next week Michigan State is out of the top 15. Yeah, right it's a pipe dream....

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Well yeah it's the best division in football. I mean out of those SEC teams which one would you take out of the top 4?
    All 3 of Oregon, ND, and Michigan State have as good a resume as Alabama and Auburn. I understand Notre Dame being ranked below them because they just lost though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    All 3 of Oregon, ND, and Michigan State have as good a resume as Alabama and Auburn. I understand Notre Dame being ranked below them because they just lost though.
    I disagree with Oregon. I don't think they can beat Alabama, Miss. State or Ole Miss. I like Mich State tho. But it's still hard to take those three teams out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I disagree with Oregon. I don't think they can beat Alabama, Miss. State or Ole Miss. I like Mich State tho. But it's still hard to take those three teams out.
    They layed a whooping on Michigan State, who plays a very similar style to Alabama. With a healthy O-Line, Oregon can compete with any team in the country.

vCash
    They layed a whooping on Michigan State, who plays a very similar style to Alabama. With a healthy O-Line, Oregon can compete with any team in the country.
    We will agree to disagree then. I just don't view Oregon as a top 4 team.

vCash
    If Oregon beats up on Stanford's defense then I'll believe it.

vCash
    They have to have a healthy offensive line. That they've done so well and only have one loss with the players they've had to put out there during this stretch. The week before Arizona upset Oregon, Mariota was sacked seven times by Washington State, and suffered three more sacks that game. Like Notre Dame, they have to win their games and hope the SEC beats up on themselves to allow them to sneak in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    They have to have a healthy offensive line. That they've done so well and only have one loss with the players they've had to put out there during this stretch. The week before Arizona upset Oregon, Mariota was sacked seven times by Washington State, and suffered three more sacks that game. Like Notre Dame, they have to win their games and hope the SEC beats up on themselves to allow them to sneak in.
    Not saying it's right or fair, with their perception (and the perception of the Pac12 as a strong conference), if they win out they'll be in. A 1-loss Pac12 team will make the playoff, especially if there is only 1 (or even 2) undefeated teams.

But that is a very important part. The Selection Committee said they plan to take injuries into account. While not as flashy as losing a QB, Oregon had 4/5 of their offensive line injured and out for Wazzou and Arizona. Not even Miss. State or Alabama would have done good under those circumstances.

If they continue to steamroll every other team the injuries can be viewed as more of the reasoning for their loss to Arizona. If however they start to struggle against a lot of teams, people will wonder if their issues go beyond those injuries...

vCash
    Not saying it's right or fair, with their perception (and the perception of the Pac12 as a strong conference), if they win out they'll be in. A 1-loss Pac12 team will make the playoff, especially if there is only 1 (or even 2) undefeated teams.

But that is a very important part. The Selection Committee said they plan to take injuries into account. While not as flashy as losing a QB, Oregon had 4/5 of their offensive line injured and out for Wazzou and Arizona. Not even Miss. State or Alabama would have done good under those circumstances.

If they continue to steamroll every other team the injuries can be viewed as more of the reasoning for their loss to Arizona. If however they start to struggle against a lot of teams, people will wonder if their issues go beyond those injuries...
    That's what makes things such a crapshoot this year. We have no idea what is going to happen with the playoff scenarios. At one point, one of ther starting lineman was a walk-on. That's crazy luck so far as injuries go to lose four starters, much less four starters to one unit.

I do agree, they need to keep their foot on the gas and make statement wins the rest of the way. They have to do their best to make their case, as they can't control what happens outside of their bubble.

vCash

That is something that I don't like as well. You can't just assume what would have happened without injuries. Because just as easily as you could say they would have won you also have to assume that the other team may have done something differently and the outcome been the same....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    That is something that I don't like as well. You can't just assume what would have happened without injuries. Because just as easily as you could say they would have won you also have to assume that the other team may have done something differently and the outcome been the same....
    I agree, it's a definite "what if" scenario. But anytime you talk about an upset there's a reason it happened. In Oregon's case, the upset was because their O-line couldn't block anybody. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that had 4 of their 5 O-lineman not been injured they would have fared better in that regard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast