Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    1,540
    vCash
    1500

    Week 8 Polls: FSU stuck at #2, SEC dominates top 5

    FSU failed to overtake Mississippi State despite their win over Notre Dame on Saturday. The rest of the teams in the top 5 on the AP poll are from the SEC West, while top SEC East team Georgia sits at #9.

    Meanwhile, Notre Dame's tough loss only dropped them to 7th in the AP poll, and 8th in the Coaches Poll. Baylor drops to 12 in the AP and 13 in the Coaches Poll from their upset loss to West Virginia. Their loss likely means the end of the Big 12's hopes for a playoff team. On the other hand, the Mountaineers jump into the top 25 in both polls- 22nd for the AP, and 25th in the Coaches Poll.

    Our favorite team to hate in the rankings from last week was TAMU, and after their blowout loss to Alabama 59-0, they finally drop off the top 25, possibly never to return this season.

    AP Poll

    1. Mississippi State (43 first place votes)

    2. Florida State (14)

    3. Ole Miss (3)

    4. Alabama

    5. Auburn

    6. Oregon

    7. Notre Dame

    8. Michigan State

    9. Georgia

    10. TCU

    11. Kansas State

    12. Baylor

    13. Ohio State

    14. Arizona State

    15. Arizona

    16. Nebraska

    17. Oklahoma

    18. East Carolina

    19. Utah

    20. USC

    21. Clemson

    22. West Virginia

    23. Marshall

    24. LSU

    25. UCLA

    Coaches Poll

    1. Mississippi State (36)

    2. Florida State (22)

    3. Ole Miss (4)

    4. Alabama

    5. Michigan State

    6. Auburn

    7. Oregon

    8. Notre Dame

    9. Georgia

    10. TCU

    11. Kansas State

    12. Ohio State

    13. Baylor

    14. Arizona State

    15. Arizona

    16. Nebraska

    17. East Carolina

    18. Oklahoma

    19. Utah

    20. Clemson

    21. Southern California

    22. Marshall

    23. LSU

    24. Minnesota

    25. West Virginia

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,506
    vCash
    1500
    I just don't know how people can possibly say there isn't bias towards the SEC.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,435
    vCash
    1500
    As an Oregon fan the good news is it looks like if we win out we'll be in the playoff as Alabama still has to play Auburn and Ole Miss still has to play Miss. State. And Ole Miss still has to play Auburn and Miss. State still has to play Alabama. Simply put, there's no way 3 of those teams come out with 1 loss. Given that you'd likely have Florida State, 1 (or 2) SEC teams and then Oregon as the most highly thought of 1 loss team.

    Of course winning out is a lot easier said than done
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

    PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    21,838
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I just don't know how people can possibly say there isn't bias towards the SEC.
    Well yeah it's the best division in football. I mean out of those SEC teams which one would you take out of the top 4?




    There you go thumper




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    65,348
    vCash
    2300
    Oh god I hope next week Michigan State is out of the top 15. Yeah, right it's a pipe dream....



    Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,435
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Well yeah it's the best division in football. I mean out of those SEC teams which one would you take out of the top 4?
    All 3 of Oregon, ND, and Michigan State have as good a resume as Alabama and Auburn. I understand Notre Dame being ranked below them because they just lost though.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

    PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    21,838
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    All 3 of Oregon, ND, and Michigan State have as good a resume as Alabama and Auburn. I understand Notre Dame being ranked below them because they just lost though.
    I disagree with Oregon. I don't think they can beat Alabama, Miss. State or Ole Miss. I like Mich State tho. But it's still hard to take those three teams out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,435
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I disagree with Oregon. I don't think they can beat Alabama, Miss. State or Ole Miss. I like Mich State tho. But it's still hard to take those three teams out.
    They layed a whooping on Michigan State, who plays a very similar style to Alabama. With a healthy O-Line, Oregon can compete with any team in the country.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

    PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    21,838
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    They layed a whooping on Michigan State, who plays a very similar style to Alabama. With a healthy O-Line, Oregon can compete with any team in the country.
    We will agree to disagree then. I just don't view Oregon as a top 4 team.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,170
    vCash
    1470
    If Oregon beats up on Stanford's defense then I'll believe it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    1,540
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    They layed a whooping on Michigan State, who plays a very similar style to Alabama. With a healthy O-Line, Oregon can compete with any team in the country.
    They have to have a healthy offensive line. That they've done so well and only have one loss with the players they've had to put out there during this stretch. The week before Arizona upset Oregon, Mariota was sacked seven times by Washington State, and suffered three more sacks that game. Like Notre Dame, they have to win their games and hope the SEC beats up on themselves to allow them to sneak in.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,435
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    They have to have a healthy offensive line. That they've done so well and only have one loss with the players they've had to put out there during this stretch. The week before Arizona upset Oregon, Mariota was sacked seven times by Washington State, and suffered three more sacks that game. Like Notre Dame, they have to win their games and hope the SEC beats up on themselves to allow them to sneak in.
    Not saying it's right or fair, with their perception (and the perception of the Pac12 as a strong conference), if they win out they'll be in. A 1-loss Pac12 team will make the playoff, especially if there is only 1 (or even 2) undefeated teams.

    But that is a very important part. The Selection Committee said they plan to take injuries into account. While not as flashy as losing a QB, Oregon had 4/5 of their offensive line injured and out for Wazzou and Arizona. Not even Miss. State or Alabama would have done good under those circumstances.

    If they continue to steamroll every other team the injuries can be viewed as more of the reasoning for their loss to Arizona. If however they start to struggle against a lot of teams, people will wonder if their issues go beyond those injuries...
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

    PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    1,540
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Not saying it's right or fair, with their perception (and the perception of the Pac12 as a strong conference), if they win out they'll be in. A 1-loss Pac12 team will make the playoff, especially if there is only 1 (or even 2) undefeated teams.

    But that is a very important part. The Selection Committee said they plan to take injuries into account. While not as flashy as losing a QB, Oregon had 4/5 of their offensive line injured and out for Wazzou and Arizona. Not even Miss. State or Alabama would have done good under those circumstances.

    If they continue to steamroll every other team the injuries can be viewed as more of the reasoning for their loss to Arizona. If however they start to struggle against a lot of teams, people will wonder if their issues go beyond those injuries...
    That's what makes things such a crapshoot this year. We have no idea what is going to happen with the playoff scenarios. At one point, one of ther starting lineman was a walk-on. That's crazy luck so far as injuries go to lose four starters, much less four starters to one unit.

    I do agree, they need to keep their foot on the gas and make statement wins the rest of the way. They have to do their best to make their case, as they can't control what happens outside of their bubble.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,493
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Not saying it's right or fair, with their perception (and the perception of the Pac12 as a strong conference), if they win out they'll be in. A 1-loss Pac12 team will make the playoff, especially if there is only 1 (or even 2) undefeated teams.

    But that is a very important part. The Selection Committee said they plan to take injuries into account. While not as flashy as losing a QB, Oregon had 4/5 of their offensive line injured and out for Wazzou and Arizona. Not even Miss. State or Alabama would have done good under those circumstances.

    If they continue to steamroll every other team the injuries can be viewed as more of the reasoning for their loss to Arizona. If however they start to struggle against a lot of teams, people will wonder if their issues go beyond those injuries...
    That is something that I don't like as well. You can't just assume what would have happened without injuries. Because just as easily as you could say they would have won you also have to assume that the other team may have done something differently and the outcome been the same....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,435
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    That is something that I don't like as well. You can't just assume what would have happened without injuries. Because just as easily as you could say they would have won you also have to assume that the other team may have done something differently and the outcome been the same....
    I agree, it's a definite "what if" scenario. But anytime you talk about an upset there's a reason it happened. In Oregon's case, the upset was because their O-line couldn't block anybody. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that had 4 of their 5 O-lineman not been injured they would have fared better in that regard.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

    PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •