Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

"I am taking that program down." - Nevin Shaprio

Reduction of football scholarship by a combined total of nine during the 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.

Three years of probation from October 22, 2013, through October 21, 2016.
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+of+violations

SO CLOSE, NEVIN.

Not only did he not take down the program, it is better off now than it was two years ago.

vCash
    Yeah...Miami fans should be pretty stoked how "easy" they got off after lacking "nstitutional control resulting in a decade of violations".

I don't know enough to comment besides that. But I will say that Nevin Shapiro is an ***

vCash
    I think it was fair what happened to Miami. I know many fans wanted blood for what occurred at Miami, but they deserved a fair proceeding. If Miami had been slammed even more, then the investigation would have primarily rested upon heresay, and that would have been lame. Of course, the NCAA is not a court of law, but I do think it is best for them to operate in such a manner. Miami used to be a program full of swagger and success, and I hope they return to those heights.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Football program penalties

Reduction of football scholarship by a combined total of nine during the 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
    Miami may only provide a prospect on unofficial visits complementary tickets for one home game during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
    Self-imposed by the university:
    Two year bowl ban following the 2011 and 2012 seasons, including the 2012 ACC Championship game.
    Reduction of official paid visits for 2012-13 by 20 percent to a total of 36 visits.
    Reduction of fall evaluations in 2012-13 by six (from 42 to 36).
    Reduction of available contact days during the 2012-13 contact period by 20 percent.
    Reduction of scholarships always hurts. But Miami should be able to manage 3 a year pretty easily. Just don't offer a few 3 stars and then hope you get some good walkons.

vCash
    Just realized I spelled it "Shaprio" in the title. This bothers me more than it should.

vCash
    I guess the bigger question is do you guys think these slaps on the wrist really deter boosters or athletes from violating the rules? I think we all know the answer....

vCash
    Honestly, it's really not a slap on the wrist. The end result would appear that way, but Miami actually lost three postseason games, they currently only have 76 players on scholarship (self imposed schollie reductions), and they had to try to recruit with this hanging over their heads for the past two recruiting cycles. There's no telling how many potential recruits they missed out on due to the potential sanctions.

Miami was fully cooperative throughout the entire investigation. The NCAA called it "unprecedented cooperation" themselves. That was key as well.
    Last edited by BullsFan_1; 10-24-2013 at 02:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    Honestly, it's really not a slap on the wrist. The end result would appear that way, but Miami actually lost three postseason games, they currently only have 76 players on scholarship (self imposed schollie reductions), and they had to try to recruit with this hanging over their heads for the past two recruiting cycles. There's no telling how many potential recruits they missed out on due to the potential sanctions.

Miami was fully cooperative throughout the entire investigation. The NCAA called it "unprecedented cooperation" themselves. That was key as well.
    I didn't know about the self imposed schollie reductions. That's always the biggest thing to me. The postseason bans don't help but for example how bad do you think Ohio State has been affected by their ban the last couple years? Maybe a little but I think it sucks for fans more than potential recruits. Miami has to complete for recruits in a hot bed with UF and FSU. But also if you lose your bowl game like UF did to Louisville I think it can have negative affects on recruiting.

vCash
    A little light I would say..

vCash
    They've given out harsher punishments for less serious offenses.