Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Looks interesting -- I agree with the word revenge because it was backlash against the Great Society that propelled Nixon and Reagan onto the center stage.

Hopefully Obama learns from Johnson and Carter's mistakes.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Could be beneficial to take a gander.
    Now there's a word I haven't heard in a long time...

I'm off to work soon, but I'll definitely check this one later - like Ari said, it really does look like an interesting take on things.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    As for that stupid arguement that was on between whether or not auto workers get the full wage they are 'said' to be given, they don't, immediately, but that doesn't mean the big 3 doesn't pay their full wage. I know this should go to another thread, the agruement made against it was so ridiculous.

If a worker makes 70 dallars an hour, they might get 45 of it or so up front. However, the company still pays for the full 70 at THAT point. 20 of it or so might go into a pension plan, which is a bond at most times, that will mature over the years until that person retires. Companies put money into these bonds for the future benefit of the worker, as negotiated by unions.

Now being in Canada, i am unsure to how the US tax system works, particulary for each state, but a certian portion is taxed by the government, whether be state or federal,and instead of paying for it yourself, governments just take a percentage of your cheque. So the companies are paying it for you. Same goes for any insurances (employment insurance or whatever.) Again, i'm not sure how the system works in the US.

But the company does pay for the full, bloated wage stated at that present time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dallascowboys46 View Post
    As for that stupid arguement that was on between whether or not auto workers get the full wage they are 'said' to be given, they don't, immediately, but that doesn't mean the big 3 doesn't pay their full wage. I know this should go to another thread, the agruement made against it was so ridiculous.

If a worker makes 70 dallars an hour, they might get 45 of it or so up front. However, the company still pays for the full 70 at THAT point. 20 of it or so might go into a pension plan, which is a bond at most times, that will mature over the years until that person retires. Companies put money into these bonds for the future benefit of the worker, as negotiated by unions.

Now being in Canada, i am unsure to how the US tax system works, particulary for each state, but a certian portion is taxed by the government, whether be state or federal,and instead of paying for it yourself, governments just take a percentage of your cheque. So the companies are paying it for you. Same goes for any insurances (employment insurance or whatever.) Again, i'm not sure how the system works in the US.

But the company does pay for the full, bloated wage stated at that present time.
    This is exactly what that flawed argument does to people.

The wages for the union workers are in the upper $20s. With ALL of their benefits, they cost the company just under $50 an hour.

The other $25 is what we call "Legacy" costs. That's the cost of the labor bill that covers costs of health care and pensions for retirees (who btw paid into those programs back when they were working).

Let's suppose that GM shuts down for a month. None of the workers will be working, BUT they'll still be facing labor costs of $25 per worker hour. See how that doesn't make any sense?

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Hope this hasnt been posted, but...:

Is GOP Still a National Party?

As President Barack Obama delivers his inaugural address to a nation filled with anticipation and hope, the vital signs of the loyal opposition appear worse than worrisome.

The new majority of 49 states and 60 percent of the nation Nixon cobbled together in 1972, that became the Reagan coalition of 49 states and 60 percent of the nation in 1984, is a faded memory. Demographically, philosophically and culturally, the party base has been shrinking since Bush I won his 40-state triumph over Michael Dukakis. Indeed, the Republican base is rapidly becoming a redoubt, a Fort Apache in Indian country.

In the National Journal, Ron Brownstein renders a grim prognosis of the party's chances of recapturing the White House. Consider:

In the five successive presidential elections, beginning with Clinton's victory in 1992 and ending with Obama's in 2008, 18 states and the District of Columbia, with 248 electoral votes among them, voted for the Democratic ticket all five times. John McCain did not come within 10 points of Obama in any of the 18, and he lost D.C. 92-8.
    Source: Creators.com
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    You can play that game the other way and say the Dems will never win in Utah, Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and the Appalachian belt.

It's silly to make a geographical case.

Demographics on the other hand are more compelling.

vCash
    But it's not as if geography and demographics are completely independent of each other. I mean I agree inasmuch as demographics will provide a more detailed picture. But on the other hand, the reason why Democrats won't win in places like Utah and Appalachia is that those areas are heavy in particular demographics.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234