Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

3 Games Back at the All Star Break; Strange Days

As of the unofficial midway point of the season, all star week, the Sabres sit just 6 points out of the final playoff spot.

In a month, the trade deadline will show its ugly 30-headed self. At that point, either the Sabres will be ripped to shreds by playoff bound GMs, or Reiger will invest in a final playoff push by adding veteran bodies to the roster.

Until then, fans are left in limbo.

The team is currently on a 9-3-1 tear, but seems almost wholly dependant on the play of diminuative rookies Ennis, Gerbe, and more recently, Byron.

Leading point getter Derek Roy is out for the year.

Ryan Miller has returned to non-Vezina play, since Sidney Crosby scored on him to seal the Olympic fate of Team USA.

Last year's overachievers - Grier, Hecht, Myers, etc - have crashed back to earth as well.

There are other issues, obviously. Need we even bring up the name Niedermayer? (How is that spelled again?)

Darcy Reiger is standing pat that the Sabres are playoff contenders, for now. Fans aren't convinced, but are having fun watching Ennis Gerbe and Byron take the older core as far as they can. (Playoffs or not, one thing is certain: one of those three guys will likely go at the trade deadline. Having three of your best offensive weapons under 5'10" doesn't get you far in the playoffs. Boston reminded us of that last year.)

All fans can do is sit back and wait for February 28th, and wonder where Reiger will take this team.

And they can wonder if Terry Pegula will suddenly swoop down out of the sky and tear the team apart in his first day in the office.

6 points, and one very strange month ahead.
    Last edited by ScottyMCSS; 01-27-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Yes, I am Superfan

vCash
    I'm not a believer that this team belongs in the playoffs, let alone do damage in the playoffs.

This team just isn't that good.

vCash
    This team just isn't that good? I disagree. This team SUCKS, and it is sucking the life out of the fan base.

It's likely this 9-3-1 run is simply a tease.

Looking forward to Pegula to come in ASAP - he'll be quick to make a statement trade. That means a player like Dustin Brown, or Jarome Iginla.

And that means cleaning out a lot of the fluff occupying the lockers right now at HSBC.
    Yes, I am Superfan

vCash
    If we get rid of byron ennis or gerbe and keep grier neidemeyer roy hecht rivet and the list goes on I will pull my god d*** eyes out. Please god pegulla gut the front office and put someone in that's gonna make the right decisions. Holy hell its seriously like darcy and larry don't have a sports social life they look at the team like its a NU house team. Well at least were trying if we don't make the playoffs oh well there's always next year. Or derek roy will mature next year. Or miller is an all star goalie o really pretty sure he couldn't save a shot towards his 5 hole if his life depended on it. We need to stop giving miller all this credit and demand his besteffort. Now I understand having a good team in front of him will make him look better. But hasek was an all star goalie and we went to the stanley cup with stu barnes and mike peca and jason wooley. I mean that was a goalie putting his team on his back at all times. So until miller shows me that I will not call him an all star.

vCash
    Now but a mere two games out after the Flyers took out the idle Carolina crew. It's getting closer. You can see Myers getting his 09-10 game stride back. I see him getting more encompassed into a leadership role with Leopold. Vanek is playing well as is Stafford (which found his first solid season since what 2006-07?).

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    It will be close.