Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sabres Factoid of the Day - Read and/or Submit Your Own!

Media guides are like toy catalogs for hockey nuts. Any statistic and historical tidbit that one could ever want to know are there for the plucking.

It's easy for fans to get completely wrapped around what is happening to their team in the current season. Sometimes, it's amazing what is forgotten as the seasons go by.

Each day, I am going to try to post a nice gem outta the hockey nut toy catalog. I hope you all re-learn something new.

Enjoy.

vCash
    1-9-09

Let's start off by including a critical member of the current Sabres season - Lindy Ruff.

I think Bart98 is going to enjoy this the most.

March 7, 1989 - The Sabres trade Lindy Ruff to the... New York Rangers... for a 5th round draft pick in 1990. The result of that draft? Richard Smehlik.

vCash
    1-10-09

With Koltalik's timely score in the shootout victory last night, another timely goal bears noting.

The Sabres' first goal ever was scored by Jim Watson on 10-10-70 in Pittsburgh at 5:01 of the 1st period.

It was lucky timing for Watson, in order to be included in Buffalo Sabres scoring history. In his NHL career, Watson played in 221 games, scoring only four times, while adding nineteen assists.

After parts of seven seasons in the Detroit organization, Watson was claimed by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1970 Expansion Draft. Upon his arrival with the Sabres, Watson went on to anchor the club's blue line for two seasons before being claimed by the Los Angeles Sharks in the 1972 WHA General Player Draft.

Coincidentally, Watson is the only other player in franchise history to don the #2 besides the late great Tim Horton who had the number retired.

vCash
    Sounds like Rob Ray. He scored two goals in his debut, and two goals in his last game. How ironic is that?

vCash
    Factoid of the day for 1-11-09!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres39 View Post
    Sounds like Rob Ray. He scored two goals in his debut, and two goals in his last game. How ironic is that?

vCash
    1-11-09 Extra

Ray has good company as far as scoring on his first NHL shift is concerned.

Danny Gare, Alex Mogilny, and Denis Hamel scored on their their first NHL shifts. Pat LaFontaine and Geoff Sanderson scored on their first shifts with the Sabres.

I think I am even forgetting a few...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMCSS View Post
    1-11-09 Extra

Ray has good company as far as scoring on his first NHL shift is concerned.

Danny Gare, Alex Mogilny, and Denis Hamel scored on their their first NHL shifts. Pat LaFontaine and Geoff Sanderson scored on their first shifts with the Sabres.

I think I am even forgetting a few...
    In recent times, I know Stu Barnes got a hat trick in his first game with the Sabres. Bernier scored two goals in his Sabres debut. Also, I think Barnaby scored a hat trick on mothers day one year, while his mother was in the building.

vCash
    Great thread idea!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Great thread idea!
    Thanks Ink

I let all TM's know of the great response I've gotten from this. The best response, by far, it from those Sabres faithful out there that have submitted their own factoids to me.

Keep 'em coming!

The more arcane a factoid is, the better. Fans are, and forever will be, closer to their teams than the players that are on the rosters for a time. We have generations of lore that can be plundered - for fun and for learning about that team gives you heartburn (which burns in both good and bad ways, depending on the date).

vCash
    1-12-09

Sabres GM Darcy Reiger was the 5th choice (77th overall) of the California Golden Seals in the 1976 Amateur Draft.

He appeared in 26 NHL games over the course of 3 seasons with the Cleveland Barons and the New York Islanders, totaling 2 assists 35 penalty minutes.

vCash
    1-13-09

1972: Buffalo takes Larry Carriere 25th overall, in the second round. Arguably, the highlight of his NHL career – 7 seasons, 367 games, 16 goals and 74 assists with five teams – was Carriere’s one-punch KO of Montreal's Yvon Lambert.

Lambert would eventually join the Sabres for one season when he was claimed by Buffalo from Montreal in Waiver Draft, October 5, 1981.

Carriere would eventually re-join the Sabres for a bit less than one season after his stints in other NHL towns, when he was plucked off the waiver wire. Carriere was back on the Sabres roster for the end of the 1977-78 season, and played in 9 games for the Sabres in 1977-78.

Serving the Sabres as a scout and as Director of Player Evaluation, "The Hawk" took over as Interim General Manager when John Muckler was dismissed in 1997, a position he held until current Sabres GM Darcy Regier was hired.

vCash
    1-14-09:

There are only two players who have played their entire career with the Sabres and totaled over 1,000 games.

Gilbert Perrault (1191)
    Craig Ramsay (1070)

* As for the current roster, Teppo Numminen has 1357 games, but for a variety of teams. He may or may not record another game played tonight, as he is rumored to attend to the press box as Ruff rotates through his defensemen.

vCash
    1-16-09:

Maxim Afinogenov enjoyed his most prolific season during the Sabres torrid dominance of the NHL in the 06-07 season.

In only 56 games, The Enigma recorded 23 goals, 38 assists, and was a plus 19.

He also recorded 5 goals, 4 assists, and was a plus 9 in the playoffs that year before being benched by Lindy Ruff.

It was later revealed that Afinogenov suffered a broken wrist, which was the cause for his lack luster play. Though scoring an OT game winner when he returned to the lineup, he hasn't been the same since breaking his wrist.

vCash
    1-17-09:

Some lore from the old Memorial Auditorium:

Encil "Porky" Palmer, a longtime Sabres employee, would situate himself behind the Zamboni door, near the net that the opposition would guard in the first and third periods.

Whenever a puck would slide around the boards in that area, Palmer would kick the door, sending the puck ricocheting right out into the slot in front of the unsuspecting visiting goalie.

Ex-goalie Greg Millen, for one, was burned that way. (Millen played for Pittsburgh, Hartford, St. Louis, Quebec, Chicago, Detroit, and San Diego.)

"I remember one night, he did it and the Sabres ended up scoring," said Millen. "I was so livid, I slammed my stick against the glass right by his ear."

"They had enough of a home-ice advantage, with the rink being smaller than normal. But that was too much."

Previous to being the nemesis of netminders at the Aud, Porky played for the Buffalo Bisons of the AHL and the Syracuse Blazers of the EHL in 64-65 and 67-68. His position?

Goaltender. ("There is no honor amongst thieves.")

Ah, the good ol' days. I don't think you would ever see that kind of mischief under the scrutiny of today's world of HD television.

vCash
    In the second round of the 06-07 playoffs, the Sabres defeated the top-seeded Sens in five measly games.

A crucial moment in the series occurred in Game 1 when Tim Connolly forced overtime by scoring with 11 seconds left in regulation. Buffalo went on to win, 7-6, on a goal by Chris Drury.

A total of three victories in the series came in overtime, including the series-clinching game five, which was won on a short-handed goal by Jason Pominville to send Buffalo to the Eastern Conference Final against the Carolina Hurricanes.

It was the first time in NHL history that a series had been decided on a short-handed goal.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast