Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    I defy you to find? What the ****? Anyways:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p3OB6roAg -They seem to think he is.

Nearly everyone in my class said they were going to vote for Obama. One of my friends said he was going to vote for him because he's black, so that makes him cool. Alot of people voted for the man on empty promises of "change", and had no clue what his political stances were. And don't say NBC wasn't a swaying factor. Especially with all of their Sarah Palin parody ********.
    First of all, I can happily say that not all of us Brewers fans think like this

Second, I'm willing to be just as many "whites" voted against Obama because he was black, than blacks voted for him because he was black. So let's not forget about that. Did thousands vote for Obama because he was black? Yes. Did thousands vote against him because he was black? Yes.

I will gladly say NBC was not a swaying factor anymore so than FoxNews was for McCain. FoxNews is still bitter about the election. Watch their website on a day to day basis. It's scary. "FoxNews Forum: Put a sock in it Obama." <-- ...nice. They blamed him for the stock market falling the other day, even though a bunch of large corporations reported extremely flat earnings, and new homes plunged worse than expected. They blame him for everything and he's not even in office yet. So I won't sit here and listen to anyone crying foul over NBC without doing the same with Fox.

Sarah Palin has no one to blame for her blunders but herself. She's clueless of anything going on outside of Alaska.

Best Backfield Ever.
    Daniels/Raji/Lacy

vCash
    So I won't sit here and listen to anyone crying foul over NBC without doing the same with Fox.
    Yeah. Because you very rarely hear anyone complain about Fox News.
    She's clueless of anything going on outside of Alaska.
    Do you consider yourself less clueless?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post

I didn't post that comment, but speaking for myself, I've always known Africa was a continent, which at least probably puts me on even footing.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    I didn't post that comment, but speaking for myself, I've always known Africa was a continent, which at least probably puts me on even footing.
    Possibly.

I think people give themselves the benefit of the doubt too much though. For example, how many people consider themselves stupid? Now how many stupid people are there?

I ask that question a bit, because I am perfectly willing to believe that I know absolutely nothing. It's one of the reasons I debated over whether to vote or not. Because, in reality, I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

vCash
    Possibly.

I think people give themselves the benefit of the doubt too much though. For example, how many people consider themselves stupid? Now how many stupid people are there?

I ask that question a bit, because I am perfectly willing to believe that I know absolutely nothing. It's one of the reasons I debated over whether to vote or not. Because, in reality, I don't know wtf I'm talking about.
    Sounds like you're working up a standup routine on stupidity gcoll.

vCash

Do I consider myself less clueless? The easiest way to answer that is I WASN'T RUNNING FOR VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I agree with DB though, I'd like to think I'm ever bit of 'in the know' as she is....

Best Backfield Ever.
    Daniels/Raji/Lacy

vCash
    The easiest way to answer that is I WASN'T RUNNING FOR VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
    Fair enough.

vCash
    Possibly.

Well, fair enough if you want to be a skeptic, but from my experience (although at heart I'm probably an existentialist if I'm anything) I feel fairly confident in some of the basic epistemological tenets of empiricism and rationalism to think that it's possible for us not only to know but also, to a certain extent at least, how we know it. Or, more simply put, I think there is a certain body of knowledge - albeit probably fuzzy around the edges - that nearly everybody can identify as "true fact". Things like "2 + 2 = 4" and "if you let go of a brick it will fall to the ground" and such - and we can not only recognize that those are true facts, but we can also recognize that we have the ability to recognize that, through our senses, through experimentation, etc.

All of which is really just a long winded way of saying, "Yes, there is a Bush doctrine".

Really, though, I don't know whether you're joking or not, but from where I'm typing, you know a lot more about wtf you're talking about than either you let on or believe (or both). And I think it's also safe to assume that just by virtue of your being engaged in political debate and involved in reading and talking about political issues, that you're probably more well informed than the so-called "average voter". Not that I agree with your interpretation of things much of the time, but you surely are no less "qualified" to vote than anybody else.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash

Woods to attend Obama event

Woods to attend Obama event
    The Associated Press
    January 16, 2009 at 3:09 PM EST

Tiger Woods, who has tried to stay out of politics during his ascent to one of the world's most famous athletes, has accepted an invitation to speak at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday as part of President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration festivities.

Woods posted a short statement on his website to say he would speak at We Are One, a concert and celebration that will be broadcast live on HBO and feature entertainers such as Beyonce, U2, Stevie Wonder and Garth Brooks, along with appearances by Denzel Washington and Martin Luther King III.

I am honoured that I was invited to this historic event and look forward to participating in Sunday's festivities, Woods said.

Organizers of We Are One did not say what Woods would do at the Lincoln Memorial celebration.

Woods rarely gets involved in political discussions and festivities. He was criticized in 1997 after his watershed victory in the Masters when he turned down an invitation from former President Bill Clinton to travel to Shea Stadium in New York to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's colour barrier.

A year ago in Dubai, when a reporter began to ask about Obama, Woods smiled and said, Oh, God, here we go. He then said he was impressed with how Obama and all politicians were so quick on their feet, especially in debates.

I think that he's really inspired a bunch of people in our country, and we'll see what happens down the road, Woods said at the time.

After Obama's landslide victory, Woods said on CNBC he was hopeful that a black man would be elected president in his lifetime.

I think it's absolutely incredible, he told the cable network. He represents America. He's multiracial. I was hoping it would happen in my lifetime. My father was hoping it would happen in his lifetime, but he didn't get to see it. I'm lucky enough to have seen a person of colour in the White House.
    Globe and Mail

vCash
    Well, since you posted that one here, Ink, I'll post this sports-related one, too. Not directly about the inauguration itself, but pretty close:

Mr. Anthony goes to Washington

By Chris Tomasson
    Rocky Mountain News

Mr. Anthony goes to Washington.

That's what Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony did Friday. He and Ne-Yo, the singer, are hosting a big dinner to honor Reggie Love, President-elect Barack Obama's right-hand man.

The event is called Athletes & Artists for a Cause. All the proceeds go to their charities.

Anthony is a big Obama supporter. The Nuggets were off Friday from practice, and Anthony is out for about another two weeks with a broken right hand.
    drmn

Melo showing some love to Love
    by Benjamin Hochman on January 16, 2009

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony spent Friday in Washington D.C., where he and R&B singer Ne-Yo will host a big dinner to honor Reggie Love, the former Duke basketball player who serves as Barack Obama’s personal assistant. The event is called Athletes and Artists For A Cause and all proceeds go to their foundations. Love and Anthony have a mutual teammate – Dahntay Jones, the former Blue Devil and current Nugget.
    dp

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    CNN has officially gone full blown with their inauguration coverage. The current headlining stories:

Obama set to ride rails to historic inauguration

For Obama, Lincoln was model president

-------------------------

I put a few links in the top post, too.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Well, since you posted that one here, Ink, I'll post this sports-related one, too. Not directly about the inauguration itself, but pretty close:

drmn

dp
    It's a sports forum after all.

vCash
    As a canadian, all this hype going into the inauguration is even coming into canadian media, with thousands of canadians making the trip. Even though i'm a conservative, i can understand the cultural significance of this event and what it means for certian people. However, alot of people are putting alot of pressure on him to be this 'saviour' for all of america's problems. And it will do a diservice to him.

I remember watching CNN a couple of weeks back and they were showing a 'checklist' for obama of problems he will have to encounter once in office. Of them, included fixing the economy, easing the tensions in the middle east, amoungst many others. People say whether or not media outlets like NBC, ABC, or CNN are favouring obama in order to increase his popularity, but IMO, they are just setting him up for failure.

for example, Politicians can't fix the economy, the only thing that can is the market itself. It will be painful, and it will take time, but it will only be fixed when bloated costs and prices fall to a point when it reaches equilibrium. It's basic economics. Throwing money into the economy is a band-aid sloution. So putting all the blame on bush or putting all hope on obama to fix it will be wrong.

And furthermore, people who think that race is not a factor for this inaguration being so popular is wrong. I cannot even count the amount of black muscians, artists, actors, writers, etc. that have gotten interview time to just talk about this 'special' event. If it had been clinton who had won as the democratic rep (any democrat would have beaten mccain), there would not even be half of this hype. No musicians or athletes would go, or put much importance into it. People from all over the world would not be going to washington in such large masses as they are. Oprah and rev. jackson wouldn't be crying at the acceptance speech. I'm not saying its bad, because it does bring hope for many minorities, whom most are less than middle class, to see that hard work actually can pay off. And it will give the US better creditbility in the global perspective, in the short-run, but it is what it is. I hope obama does become the 'saviour', because canada is so dependant on the US economy, especially the auto sector, but IMO, people have set this guy up for failure and he will not be this 'saviour' that society has made this guy out to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dallascowboys46 View Post
    As a canadian, all this hype going into the inauguration is even coming into canadian media, with thousands of canadians making the trip. Even though i'm a conservative, i can understand the cultural significance of this event and what it means for certian people. However, alot of people are putting alot of pressure on him to be this 'saviour' for all of america's problems. And it will do a diservice to him.

I remember watching CNN a couple of weeks back and they were showing a 'checklist' for obama of problems he will have to encounter once in office. Of them, included fixing the economy, easing the tensions in the middle east, amoungst many others. People say whether or not media outlets like NBC, ABC, or CNN are favouring obama in order to increase his popularity, but IMO, they are just setting him up for failure.

for example, Politicians can't fix the economy, the only thing that can is the market itself. It will be painful, and it will take time, but it will only be fixed when bloated costs and prices fall to a point when it reaches equilibrium. It's basic economics. Throwing money into the economy is a band-aid sloution. So putting all the blame on bush or putting all hope on obama to fix it will be wrong.

And furthermore, people who think that race is not a factor for this inaguration being so popular is wrong. I cannot even count the amount of black muscians, artists, actors, writers, etc. that have gotten interview time to just talk about this 'special' event. If it had been clinton who had won as the democratic rep (any democrat would have beaten mccain), there would not even be half of this hype. No musicians or athletes would go, or put much importance into it. People from all over the world would not be going to washington in such large masses as they are. Oprah and rev. jackson wouldn't be crying at the acceptance speech. I'm not saying its bad, because it does bring hope for many minorities, whom most are less than middle class, to see that hard work actually can pay off. And it will give the US better creditbility in the global perspective, in the short-run, but it is what it is. I hope obama does become the 'saviour', because canada is so dependant on the US economy, especially the auto sector, but IMO, people have set this guy up for failure and he will not be this 'saviour' that society has made this guy out to be.
    I agree with everything you said, a lot of people are expecting a quick fix, but even Obama has admitted it might take two terms before the economy gets better. Just about everything going forward is on his and the Dems shoulders. I do hope he avoids trying implement a quick fix being as I personally don't think thats the right way to go about it, but it looks like with the stimulus thats what he's shooting for. Either way, he will be the president and I hope he makes the right decisions. By the way, I do find it funny he is trying to model himself after a prominent Republican in Lincoln. I guess there weren't any democrats good enough to model after
    Last edited by Cubsrule; 01-18-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    If any actual real current Republicans modeled themselves after Lincoln (who actually would not resemble a member of today's Republican Party by any stretch of the imagination), perhaps they'd have more success at the ballot box.

Atheists Of PSD

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast