Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 264
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    No, that's all I have to say because this is supposed to be a thread about the inauguration of Barack Obama -- not Brewersin08's rants about liberals and Obama.

    I think you're gathering your information from a flawed place and basing things on half-truths.

    Tell me--when was the last time that Obama talked about raising taxes? Has he made any immediate public plans on the increase of any taxes?

    I'm not even going to touch the rest of your rant ... I do love this from Balloon Juice though.



    Keep blaming the unions.


    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...clarifies.html - 142k - Cached

    Obama plans to raise capital gains taxes from 15% to 20%. That's from ABC News, not Fox News, or any of the other very few conservative outlets. You didn't answer the question: How can GM produce cars at a profit in China but not in the US? How?
    Who Is John Galt? Atlas is Shrugging.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    48,531
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    [/B]

    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...clarifies.html - 142k - Cached

    Obama plans to raise capital gains taxes from 15% to 20%. That's from ABC News, not Fox News, or any of the other very few conservative outlets. You didn't answer the question: How can GM produce cars at a profit in China but not in the US? How?
    If you want to discuss another topic, start another thread. This is not the thread for this discussion.

    (smthblu, see what I mean about obstruction and how all it does is bring things to a halt. Impossible to get anywhere with this kind of partisanship.)

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    9,701
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    [/B]

    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...clarifies.html - 142k - Cached

    Obama plans to raise capital gains taxes from 15% to 20%. That's from ABC News, not Fox News, or any of the other very few conservative outlets. You didn't answer the question: How can GM produce cars at a profit in China but not in the US? How?
    That was an article from August ... if you go take a look at your calendar (and line that up with the financial markets), you'll see that it was before the financial crises we experienced in the fall which was well before the election.

    It is now January. And, as Obama has repeatedly stated, we will see what exactly is going on before we commit to doing anything. You don't think that maybe some of his tax increases and social programs are going to be put on hiatus until he can work to get the economy rectified? Because, that would be an awfully narrow-minded view.

    Give the man the benefit of the doubt before you jump to accusatory conclusions.

    And, if you want to talk about GM, go to the auto industry thread. Make your point there.

    Back to the topic this thread is supposed to be directed towards; the Obama Inauguration, January 20.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,986
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    So, do you have anything to say about the inauguration, or are you just going to rant about liberals?

    Oh, and NCLB was Bush's idea (he proposed it shortly after taking office), but the construction of the legislation was comprised of a four member team (two Republicans and two Democrats -- one each from the House and the Senate). But, the Democrats didn't have a lot of weight in the committee due to Republican congressional control.
    I disagree with you alot on this. Ted Kennedy had more power then anyone in NCLB. That's why I think it went to hell. It's got Ted Kennedy's hand all over it.

    Now back to the Inauguration.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    9,701
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    (smthblu, see what I mean about obstruction and how all it does is bring things to a halt. Impossible to get anywhere with this kind of partisanship.)
    Oh, I know what you mean. But, I just don't think that these "types" are overwhelmingly successful. They may tie up discussion on an internet forum, send blanket emails, and sound stupid on the nightly news or talk circuit (including your Olbermann's, Hannity's, etc ...). But, I just don't think they get their message through where it matters.

    Edit:

    BMD, I'm not going to argue you about it. But, the four member bi-partisan team just constructed a blue print. The finite details of the plan were actually hammered out in Congress by the group of legislators lead by Republicans--not just Ted.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

  6. 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
    Reason
    off-topic

  7. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,986
    vCash
    1500
    To get back on topic. Anyone have a list of events that will happen for the Inauguration day?


    I want a president to have an Andrew Jackson style party. Invite every average american and let them get hammered in the white house!

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    9,701
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    If you don't think Obama is going to raise taxes you're naive. You can't cut taxes for one group and not raise the other group.


    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    To get back on topic. Anyone have a list of events that will happen for the Inauguration day?

    I want a president to have an Andrew Jackson style party. Invite every average american and let them get hammered in the white house!
    I'm not sure of the times, but there are quite a number of things happening.

    Parade, youth concert, poems, and then the Inaugural Ball.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Oakland, California
    Posts
    25,849
    vCash
    1500
    I've never actually watched an inauguration before, since when Bush was first elected I was 13 and couldn't care less. I'm pretty excited.

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shakedown Street, Japan
    Posts
    30,230
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsGirl View Post
    I've never actually watched an inauguration before, since when Bush was first elected I was 13 and couldn't care less. I'm pretty excited.
    I watched Bill Clinton's in 92. That was great, including the helicopter taking Bush Sr. up and away from the back door of the White House.

    But I'm sure this one will upstage that. There's more excitement and hype surrounding it, more historical importance, and just Obama is a master of staging big events like this.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

    Atheists Of PSD

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,031
    vCash
    1500
    I remember when I was 10 and watched JFK's inauguration. It was quite a thing to see. Since then I have been a political junkie. I am so looking forward to this one.

    For those of us on the left, it will be a victory lap. For all of us, it is a reaffirmation of the strength of our republic to once again change heads of state in a peaceful election.

    On a societal note, it is pretty amazing that in my lifetime, we have gone from Bull Conner to President Obama. Irrespective of oneís political view, that is something we should all be proud of and something to be watched.

    To Randy, I am going to tell you that when I watched the celebration at Grant Park on Election Day, real tears of happiness came down my face, not at the winning of the presidential race, but that in my middle age, I have seen such progress. It is not over, but, look at where we were in 1950 and look how we have changed.

    This will be one of our finest moments.

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    An interesting letter I recieved in an email a few days ago:




    As most of you know I am not a President
    Bush fan, nor have I ever been, but this is not
    about Bush, it is about us, as Americans, and it
    seems to hit the mark.

    'The other day I was reading Newsweek
    magazine and came across some Poll data I found
    rather hard to believe. It must be true given
    the source, right?

    The Newsweek poll alleges that 67
    percent of Americans are unhappy with the
    direction the country is headed and 69 percent of
    the country is unhappy with the performance of
    the President. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry
    just ain't happy and want a change. So being the
    knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What
    are we so unhappy about?''


    A.. Is it that we have electricity and
    running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?


    B.. Is our unhappiness the result of
    having air conditioning in the summer and heating
    in the winter?


    C.. Could it be that 95.4 percent of
    these unhappy folks have a job?


    D.. Maybe it is the ability to walk
    into a grocery store at any time and see more
    food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last
    year?


    E.. Maybe it is the ability to drive our
    cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the
    Atlantic Ocean without having to present
    identification papers as we move through each
    state?


    F.. Or possibly the hundreds of clean
    and safe motels we would find along the way that
    can provide temporary shelter?


    G.. I guess having thousands of
    restaurants with varying cuisine from around the
    world is just not good enough either.


    H. Or could it be that when we wreck
    our car, emergency workers show up and provide
    services to help all and even send a helicopter
    to take you to the hospital.


    I.. Perhaps you are one of the 70
    percent of Americans who own a home.

    J.. You may be upset with knowing that
    in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of
    trained firefighters will appear in moments and
    use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames,
    thus saving you, your family, and your
    belongings.

    K.. Or if, while at home watching one
    of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or
    prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun
    and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you
    and your family against attack or loss.

    L.. This all in the backdrop of a
    neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and
    pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where
    90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.


    M.. How about the complete religious,
    social and political freedoms we enjoy that are
    the envy of everyone in the world?


    Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks
    unhappy.


    Fact is, we are the largest group of
    ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever
    seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet
    has a great disdain for its citizens. They see
    us for what we are. The most blessed people in
    the world who do nothing but complain about what
    we don't have, and what we hate about the country
    instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.


    I know, I know. What about the
    president who took us into war and has no plan to
    get us out? The president who has a measly 31
    percent approval rating? Is this the same
    president who guided the nation in the dark days
    after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to
    bring an economy out of recession? Could this
    be the same guy who has been called every name in
    the book for succeeding in keeping all the
    spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist
    attacks? The commander in chief of an
    all-volunteer army that is out there defending
    you and me?


    Did you hear how bad the President is
    on the news or talk show? Did this news affect
    you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't
    take a look around for yourself and see all the
    good things and be glad? Think about
    it......are you upset at the President because he
    actually caused you personal pain OR is it
    because the 'Media' told you he was failing to
    kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.
    Make no mistake about it.


    The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have
    volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have
    died for your freedom. There is currently no
    draft in this country. They didn't have to go..
    They are able to refuse to go and end up with
    either a ''general'' discharge, an 'other than
    honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a
    ''dishonorable' ' discharge after a few days in
    the brig.


    So why then the flat-out discontentment
    in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?


    Say what you want but I blame it on the
    media. If it bleeds it leads and they
    specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a
    car crash with blood and guts How many will
    watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The
    media knows this and media outlets are for-profit
    corporations. They offer what sells, and when
    criticized, try to defend their actions by
    'justifying' them in one way o r a nother Just ask
    why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J.
    Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill
    his wife, but if he did he would have done it
    this way......Insane!


    Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New
    York Times for the bottom of your bird cage.
    Then start being grateful for all we have as
    country. There is exponentially more good than
    bad. We are among the most blessed people on
    Earth and should thank God several times a day,
    or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With
    hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud
    slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up
    the country from one end to another, and with the
    threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we
    sure this is a good time to take God out of the
    Pledge of Allegiance?'

    David Letterman
    another rightist spin email:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/hitnail.asp

    do some research before touting blowhard spin.

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    another rightist spin email:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/hitnail.asp

    do some research before touting blowhard spin.
    You missed the point. I don't care if Letterman didn't really write it. It has a good point. So many people hate Bush because NBC tells them too. Just like so many people voted for Obama because NBC told them too. Listen to the Howard Stern interviews in Harlem. There's so many people in this country who think he really is "Barack the magic negro".
    Who Is John Galt? Atlas is Shrugging.

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,031
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    You missed the point. I don't care if Letterman didn't really write it. It has a good point. So many people hate Bush because NBC tells them too. Just like so many people voted for Obama because NBC told them too. Listen to the Howard Stern interviews in Harlem. There's so many people in this country who think he really is "Barack the magic negro".
    Actually you made the point. Not the point you wanted to make, but never the less you made the point. I do not know anyone who voted for President Elect Obama who thinks what you iterated in your final sentence and for that matter, neither do you.

    Maybe you missed the point you made. I defy you to find anyone who voted for President Elect Obama because any network or all of the networks, or any combination of networks told them to vote for him. You can come up with lots of reasons, some of which you understand, some of which you donít that caused people to vote a clear majority and the largest number of votes ever cast, for President Elect Obama.

    The point that you made that you missed, is that when you quote a source, and it turns out to be more felgerkarb, that the right wing spin machine puts out, instead of making any point you think you made, it makes your entire argument cease to exist.

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersin08 View Post
    You missed the point. I don't care if Letterman didn't really write it. It has a good point. So many people hate Bush because NBC tells them too. Just like so many people voted for Obama because NBC told them too. Listen to the Howard Stern interviews in Harlem. There's so many people in this country who think he really is "Barack the magic negro".
    all this and somehow liberals are "bitter americans"?

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Actually you made the point. Not the point you wanted to make, but never the less you made the point. I do not know anyone who voted for President Elect Obama who thinks what you iterated in your final sentence and for that matter, neither do you.
    Maybe you missed the point you made. I defy you to find anyone who voted for President Elect Obama because any network or all of the networks, or any combination of networks told them to vote for him. You can come up with lots of reasons, some of which you understand, some of which you donít that caused people to vote a clear majority and the largest number of votes ever cast, for President Elect Obama.

    The point that you made that you missed, is that when you quote a source, and it turns out to be more felgerkarb, that the right wing spin machine puts out, instead of making any point you think you made, it makes your entire argument cease to exist.
    I defy you to find? What the ****? Anyways:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p3OB6roAg -They seem to think he is.

    Nearly everyone in my class said they were going to vote for Obama. One of my friends said he was going to vote for him because he's black, so that makes him cool. Alot of people voted for the man on empty promises of "change", and had no clue what his political stances were. And don't say NBC wasn't a swaying factor. Especially with all of their Sarah Palin parody ********.
    Who Is John Galt? Atlas is Shrugging.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •