Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Sorry I won't be able to watch it. I have an important appointment to microwave my dick for 3 hours and just can't reschedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    I agree with everything you said, a lot of people are expecting a quick fix, but even Obama has admitted it might take two terms before the economy gets better. Just about everything going forward is on his and the Dems shoulders. I do hope he avoids trying implement a quick fix being as I personally don't think thats the right way to go about it, but it looks like with the stimulus thats what he's shooting for. Either way, he will be the president and I hope he makes the right decisions. By the way, I do find it funny he is trying to model himself after a prominent Republican in Lincoln. I guess there weren't any democrats good enough to model after
    I hope you know that since that time the ideologies have essentialy flipped between parties.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Funster View Post
    Sorry I won't be able to watch it. I have an important appointment to microwave my dick for 3 hours and just can't reschedule.
    Whatever. If you think your political opposition to Obama is more important than the historical magnitude of his being inaugurated, that's your prerogative of course, but it's sad to see Americans turn their back on living history of the significance we rarely have the opportunity to personally witness. I'd call it unpatriotic, but that ain't my style and anyways, I wouldn't want to go all Palin on ya.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Anyways, UF, haven't seen you around much lately. Roll back in just to piss on the parade, or what?

-------------------

Late edit-

DF, I don't know if you saw this comment before I'm now making this edit or not, but either way the above comment was intended to be sarcastic and not that serious.
    Last edited by DenButsu; 01-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    I'm watching it, for sure. There was a brief moment there where I thought I was going to be able to actually be in D.C. for it...but it fell through.

The historic value is amazing, and I'm excited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I hope you know that since that time the ideologies have essentialy flipped between parties.
    Actually most of today's issues weren't even around back then. Abortion, stem cell research, social security, unions, welfare. On that same note since Kennedy cut taxes and believed in a strong military I guess he would be a republican.

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    If any actual real current Republicans modeled themselves after Lincoln (who actually would not resemble a member of today's Republican Party by any stretch of the imagination), perhaps they'd have more success at the ballot box.
    Actually Lincoln was famous for bringing in people from both parties, something I think McCain would have done better than Obama. As far as the second comment, no one knows so it's stupid to speculate. Like I said there are a lot more issues today than there were then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    Actually Lincoln was famous for bringing in people from both parties, something I think McCain would have done better than Obama.
    Well, let's look at the evidence of who McCain did bring in: Sarah Palin, the most divisive, partisan political figure to emerge on the national landscape since W. himself. Meanwhile, Obama has in fact appointed two Republicans (at least) to his administration, retained Bush's pick Robert Gates, and has in terms of policy already bridged compromise with the Republicans by including individual and business tax cuts in the economic stimulus plan. I highly doubt McCain would have gone any further than that.

As far as the second comment, no one knows so it's stupid to speculate. Like I said there are a lot more issues today than there were then.
    Well if what you're saying is that we can't have any idea where Lincoln would be at these days, then it's equally stupid for modern Republicans to claim him as their own.

And anyways, of course we can't know what Lincoln would think now, but we can take measure of current political affiliations in comparison with those of that time. And who was Lincoln's primary opposition? And these days, by what margins do people who embrace the confederate flag vote for Republicans vs. Democrats?

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Well, let's look at the evidence of who McCain did bring in: Sarah Palin, the most divisive, partisan political figure to emerge on the national landscape since W. himself. Meanwhile, Obama has in fact appointed two Republicans (at least) to his administration, retained Bush's pick Robert Gates, and has in terms of policy already bridged compromise with the Republicans by including individual and business tax cuts in the economic stimulus plan. I highly doubt McCain would have gone any further than that.
    I imagine his first pick was liebermann, very few have been as willing to work across the aisle as McCain, the problem was he had to bring in someone who could bring in multiple groups into his corner which Palin did at first, but her gaffes as well as McCains mismanagment of her really hurt them.

Well if what you're saying is that we can't have any idea where Lincoln would be at these days, then it's equally stupid for modern Republicans to claim him as their own.
    I guess the fact that he was a Republican has nothing to do with it

And anyways, of course we can't know what Lincoln would think now, but we can take measure of current political affiliations in comparison with those of that time. And who was Lincoln's primary opposition? And these days, by what margins do people who embrace the confederate flag vote for Republicans vs. Democrats?
    What political affiliations lead you to believe he would not be a Republican?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu
    Well, let's look at the evidence of who McCain did bring in: Sarah Palin, the most divisive, partisan political figure to emerge on the national landscape since W. himself.
    I love how any Republican who brings in large crowds and does well in elections becomes *gasp* partisan, and *GASP!* divisive!

News flash: Any politician who doesn't toe the far-left ideological line is not divisive. And calling her partisan is really, really funny. SHE WAS THE REPUBLICAN PARTY'S VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE. She's a member of the Republican Party! Duh! Of course she's going to be partisan. My God, who in the Democratic Party is not partisan? Just a staggering misuse of a word to make a politician obviously from the party you don't like look bad.

vCash
    "Pals around with terrorists" isn't just partisan, it's fear-mongering.

You may stand behind her and if that's the case, more power to ya. But, either your eyes and ears were closed during the campaign, or you refuse to acknowledge the flammable diatribe that emanated from her mouth.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    It's funny to see the trolling in an inauguration thread from people who can't even suspend their partisanship for a day or two.

Start another thread. You're taking this one off-topic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    News flash: Any politician who doesn't toe the far-left ideological line is not divisive.
    But Palin is.

(^another "news flash")

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    It's funny to see the trolling in an inauguration thread from people who can't even suspend their partisanship for a day or two.

Start another thread. You're taking this one off-topic.
    It's temper tantrum time!

Atheists Of PSD

vCash

------

btw, I'm not laughing at anyone, just saying that if any event should be above sniping, this one should.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast