Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Farmar expects quick return

Lakers notes: Farmar expects quick return

By Elliott Teaford, Staff Writer

Posted: 01/01/2009 07:48:52 PM PST

LOS ANGELES - Jordan Farmar certainly looked as if he was ready to return to the practice court Thursday afternoon. The only hint that something was amiss was tape covering incisions from last week's arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

An exact return date remains uncertain for Farmar, although he did not rule out rejoining the Lakers by the All-Star break next month.

"It feels good, really good," he said. "There's not a lot of pain. I just need to get my quad strong and my muscles firing again. I just need to get back on the court and get working on some stuff again."

Farmar hopes to take the next step in his rehabilitation work next week.

"I'll probably get into a pool next week," he said. "I'll probably do some cardio work in the pool. Once it gets strong again and I get my full range of motion back, then I can go back on the court and start doing some stuff.

"There's no stitches, just the (surgical) holes and they should be closed by the end of the week."

Farmar averaged 7.9 points and 2.4 assists in 19.6 minutes in 25 games while serving as point guard Derek Fisher's backup. He injured his knee during the Lakers' loss to the Miami Heat on Dec. 19 and underwent surgery Dec. 24.

"I'm always upbeat," he said. "It's not anything I look forward to, but it's all about how you respond to it mentally. Being away from basketball is the hardest part. This is the third day I've been back to the facility. I've been at home trying to keep the swelling down.

"I've been in here at 7 a.m. working on it."

Otherwise, Farmar's physical activity is limited to shooting free throws.

"I can walk, but I can't move," he said. "The faster I get the swelling out, the faster I can come back. It's possible (to return by the All-Star break), but I don't know. The therapist will clear me when I'm ready.

"I'm not worried. I just have to do what I have to do to come back right, with fresh legs."

MAJOR MINUTES

Fisher said he's prepared to log big minutes while Farmar is sidelined and Lakers coach Phil Jackson has no reason to doubt the veteran. Jackson said Fisher is "doing well" with the added work load.

"He wanted to stay on the floor (during Thursday's practice), but I wanted him to get off," Jackson said. "I just think the guys who stay attentive to the amount of work they're doing are going to be all right. With the massage, diet, strength training - they all take really good care of themselves."

Fisher is averaging 29.4 minutes through 30 games, but is up to 36 minutes per game in the five games since Farmar was injured.
    Thoughts?

vCash
    i know we're playing better without him, but getting him back sooner than later would be awesome

vCash
    It would be great to see him comeback right after the all-star break, he's a good player and just needs to keep developing his game. He's going to be valuable during the playoffs because of his ability to breakdown the defense and penetrate. The main things I want to see Farmar improve on are, his defense and his decision making on the court. At times, Farmar looks to get himself going too much rather than creating for his teammates...
    Last edited by Lakersfan2483; 01-04-2009 at 03:34 AM.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlesskb24 View Post
    i know we're playing better without him, but getting him back sooner than later would be awesome
    +1

vCash
    While injured and sitting on the bench watching the game, Farmar will have a great opportunity to better learn his defenseive assignment. I expect him to improve his defense shortly after he is cleared to play.

vCash
    Don't rush things too much.

vCash
    Yeah I rather have him full 100% healthy, then rush him back not 100%. It's not like we are in desperate need of him right now.
    VIVA CROONER!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still1ballin View Post
    Yeah I rather have him full 100% healthy, then rush him back not 100%. It's not like we are in desperate need of him right now.
    The problem with telling him not to rush is that if he's not back in time to be fully game fit (and to have lots of minutes in his legs) before the playoff's PJ will not play him in the playoff's like with Ariza last year.

vCash
    Maybe this is the reason why we haven't brought in anyone new yet...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_cabals View Post
    While injured and sitting on the bench watching the game, Farmar will have a great opportunity to better learn his defenseive assignment. I expect him to improve his defense shortly after he is cleared to play.
    Ya, well dont expect too much. He's in his third season now. He should have improved his d by now dont you think? Im mean you can blame his rookie season on being a rookie. You can blame your second on sophomore slump, but after that it time to get to business

vCash
    We do not need him. He is not the kind of player Lakers need at this position. Look what is going on since he left. Lakers are playing better defense and sharing the rock. Sasha is getting better. I think we can trade himfor a pick and get Marbury. He at least can be a force when kobe sits. Odom is not a strong leader. Marbury can create and penetrate. We lose a lot of this when kobe sits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by New Power House View Post
    We do not need him. He is not the kind of player Lakers need at this position. Look what is going on since he left. Lakers are playing better defense and sharing the rock. Sasha is getting better. I think we can trade himfor a pick and get Marbury. He at least can be a force when kobe sits. Odom is not a strong leader. Marbury can create and penetrate. We lose a lot of this when kobe sits.
    this is Genius...
    imma go ahead and fwd this to Jerry Buss for you

vCash
    take your time

vCash
    He better D up when he comes back

vCash
    take your time since we are winning with your my shot first before i'll pass attitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast