Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    just finished reading "the traveler's gift" and it was pretty damn good. a very motivating book. Easy read, and you learn some history at the same time.

also just finished the Alchemist. Not the flashiest ending, but this book is definitley about the journey, not just the end. loved this book, will read it again someday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazin' Mets View Post
    His novels (the ones that I have read, anyway) seem to be a semi-fictional account of his life. Hollywood, for example, deals with his experience writing the screenplay for Barfly, although it would still be called a work of fiction.

He also has quite a bit of poetry, though I haven't read any of that as of yet.
    Cool, I definitely want to check them out. He's on my very long "to read' list.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Fast Food Nation: 9/10
    Great book that everyone should check out. Was kinda disappointed with the movie. Wasn't bad, but would have preferred a documentary than the fictional story to deliver the facts.

Love Into the Wild

Quote Originally Posted by MagicHero3 View Post
    books i want to read, havent gotten to them yet. can i get an opinion?

Ender's Game

The Stand (S. King)

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (do i need to read the original "hitchhikers guide" part 1?)

The Giving Tree

Dune

The Things They Carried
    No reason to not read The Giving Tree. One of the best books ever and only takes a few minutes to read. So good.

Stand is great, but I'm not a big King fan so I'd say the movie/mini-series is just as good.

I've wanted to check out Hitchhiker's Guide for a while now.

also just finished the Alchemist. Not the flashiest ending, but this book is definitley about the journey, not just the end. loved this book, will read it again someday.
    I must be the only person on the planet who didn't like that damn book.

vCash
    The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King ... 7.5/10

As usual, King tells a good story, or in this case, a story within a story within a story. It maintains a good pace and is a quick read, especially if you have read the other Dark Tower books. The book fits chronologically between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Callah. The back stories told in this book give a little more insight into some of the antagonists of the series as well as introduce some characters that were only mentioned in passing in other volumes. Don't expect any character development when it comes to these new faces, though.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. But, the story withing the story within the story dominated much of the novel, leaving me wanting for more details about Roland, both past and present, if there are such things in Mid World. Another criticism I have is King's tendency to end many sections with a vague foreshadowing statement like "Jimmy didn't know it then, but he would never again set foot in Springfield". He's really beaten that literary technique to death now, and I do find it mildly irritating by the end of a King novel. Those criticisms aside, I would gladly purchase and read another installment to the series, and I have a feeling that this won't be the last one. Some of the events of this book lead me to believe that King will once again stumble upon the Path of the Beam sometime in the future.

vCash
    South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami - 7/10

Currently about half way through The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

“Celtic is important to me in as much as it’s one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained.” - Billy Connolly

vCash
    just started the Stand last night... so far, so good! i have a feeling theres gonna be a lot of characters, which might confuse me but ill try to keep up. They didnt have Dune or Hitchhikers guide at BooksaMillion, which surprised me. will order those online.

vCash
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - 5/5. Absolutely loved it.

Currently reading Bukowski's Factotum, and with only around 30 pages left I should have it finished this evening. It's alright so far. Definitely not my favourite book of his.

just started the Stand last night... so far, so good! i have a feeling theres gonna be a lot of characters, which might confuse me but ill try to keep up. They didnt have Dune or Hitchhikers guide at BooksaMillion, which surprised me. will order those online.
    I have had 'The Stand' sitting on my bedside cabinet for the best part of a year. I really want to get around to reading it, but I think it's the 1000 odd pages that's putting me off. I have heard great things about it, though, and have enjoyed some of King's other work so I should really get on that. Let me know what you think when you're done.

“Celtic is important to me in as much as it’s one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained.” - Billy Connolly

vCash
    Freedom by Jonathan Franzen - 6/10

A few PSDers recommended this guy to me a while ago (don't remember who) and I just don't get it.

I really don't get how this was rated one of the best books of 2011. The characters were great and all and there were some interesting takes on society, but there was so much redundant descriptions of character traits and relationships; like 400 pages of character development.

His style is kinda annoying.

vCash
    The Stand is great, but the first 150 pages or so is like getting smacked in the face with a character encyclopedia.

vCash
    The Long Walk by Stephen King
    8.2/10
    I'm a King nerd, and have read a lot of his stuff. I loved this short read. Such a great "character" book. Didn't LOVE the ending, but kinda expected from SK.

The Witch and Wizard by James Patterson
    7/10
    If I'm not reading Stephen King, I'm probably reading a series, alas this book. 1st book of 3, it's a little Harry Potter-ish. I'm usually not a Patterson fan, but I got this as a gift, and it was good enough I will pick the 2nd book up next time I'm at B&N.

vCash
    James Patterson's writing makes me want to punch something in the face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    James Patterson's writing makes me want to punch something in the face.
    99% of the time I agree with you, but this one isn't too bad. The chapters are still short and choppy, but he wrote this with another author so it is a little toned down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    99% of the time I agree with you, but this one isn't too bad. The chapters are still short and choppy, but he wrote this with another author so it is a little toned down.
    I read When the Wind Blows and it was the most cliche bunch of crap I've ever read. So cheesy. "They knew they had to make it through. They must. BUT HOW?" That kind of weak writing.

vCash
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie: 9/10

Awesome book that is the beginning of a trilogy, very exciting and filled with great characters, flew right through it. Props to toungesplitter for the suggestion

Reload #BTFD

vCash
    Factotum by Charles Bukowski - 6/10

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - 8/10.

Even if you've seen the movie, I'd recommend the book as there are quite a lot of differences between the two. It's also pretty good. I'll have to take a look at some of Palahniuk's other books.

Currently reading On The Road by Jack Kerouac. Only about 50 pages in so not much has happened, but I've heard great things about this book. I've been meaning to read it for some time, and with the movie coming out soon I thought now would be the perfect time. Has anyone here read it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    The Stand is great, but the first 150 pages or so is like getting smacked in the face with a character encyclopedia.
    i want to punch stephen King in the face for including all these characters. The first 150 pages have been grueling- when will he get to the damn story!

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast