Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Slaughterhouse 5-9.3/10
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    If you liked that, go read "Breakfast of Champions" or "Cat's Cradle" ASAP! I'm a huge Vonnegut fan...
    I've yet to read Breakfast of Champions(my library doesn't have it). But Cats Cradle and the Sirens of Titan are must reads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Slaughterhouse 5-9.3/10
    I guess this is one of those books that you either love or hate?

Was excited to read it after hearing so many good things, but I struggled to finish it. Considering how short it is, that tells you exactly how much I thought of it.

If I hated Slaughterhouse 5, is there much point trying any of his other books?

“Celtic is important to me in as much as it’s one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained.” - Billy Connolly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    I've yet to read Breakfast of Champions(my library doesn't have it). But Cats Cradle and the Sirens of Titan are must reads.
    Must must must read BoC. I'll see if I still have my copy and send it to you if I can find it. Everyone seems to like CC better, but I differ.

I still haven't read Sirens of Titan and I've read a lot of his stuff....reminds me, I have to bring back my KV sig.......there we go

Breakfast - 10/10
    Cat's Cradle - 9/10
    Slaughterhouse - 9/10
    Player Piano - 8.5/10
    Hocus Pocus - 8.5/10
    Mother Night - 7.5/10 - not his usual brand IMO, but great story.
    Bamboo Snuff Box - 6/10
    A Man Without A Country - 9/10
    Timequake - 9/10
    Armageddon in Retrospect - 5/10 - Appreciate what his son was trying to do, but it's his earlier stuff, so its less personal and witty and more to get published.
    God Bless You Dr. Kevorkian - 8.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Amazin' Mets View Post
    I guess this is one of those books that you either love or hate?

Was excited to read it after hearing so many good things, but I struggled to finish it. Considering how short it is, that tells you exactly how much I thought of it.

If I hated Slaughterhouse 5, is there much point trying any of his other books?
    Wow, you're the first I've heard who didn't like it. I'm not sure you'll like his other stuff since his unique style is in all of them, but most fans find "Cat's Cradle" to be the best, so give it a try.

Personally, I think "Breakfast of Champions" is the best and very uniquely done.

He's got kind of a **** it all freestyle to him, so that's the love/hate you have to deal with.

vCash
    Finished Hunger Games... 7/10. It was good but damn did it drag to get good, at parts I felt like just a bit more and someone will die.

vCash
    Finished "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" by John Le Carre, great book if you like spy novels that are slow burners.

vCash
    Last book read:
    -Trading in the Zone

Review: Awesome, completely changed the way I view investing and day-trading.

Halfway done but put down because of busy schedule:
    -Reminiscense of a Stock Operator

Review: Great read, I enjoy reading about the life and thought process of Jesse Livermore.

Currently reading because I just got it:
    -The New Stock Market Wizards
    Review: Great read, I love getting into the minds of successful investors and day-traders.

vCash
    Read 'Fahrenheit 451' a while back. I was enjoying it at the start, but about 2/3 of the way through I kinda got bored with it.

Currently half way through 'Ham on Rye' and I'm really enjoying it so far. My first Bukowski book, but definitely not the last.

“Celtic is important to me in as much as it’s one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained.” - Billy Connolly

vCash
    American Gods- 9/10

vCash
    the hunger games series 8/10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazin' Mets View Post
    Read 'Fahrenheit 451' a while back. I was enjoying it at the start, but about 2/3 of the way through I kinda got bored with it.

Currently half way through 'Ham on Rye' and I'm really enjoying it so far. My first Bukowski book, but definitely not the last.
    Never read Bukowski, but want to check him out. What kind of stuff is it?

vCash
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card 9.5/10

Just great Sci - Fi even though filled with Kids not really a Kids book. A page turner in the truest sense, just can't lay it down after starting.

vCash
    Plenty of free time on my hands now that I'm finished with Uni for the year, so I plan on reading quite a bit. In the past month I've read:

Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski
    Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    Hunger Games - Mockingjay
    An Ordinary Soldier: Afghanistan: A Ferocious Enemy: A Bloody Conflict: One Man's Impossible Mission - Doug Beattie
    Hollywood - Charles Bukowski

Having really enjoyed Ham on Rye, I jumped right into Post Office which I thought was fantastic. The same goes for Hollywood, which I devoured in a single day. Bukowski is definitely one of my favourite authors at the minute.

Didn't really enjoy Mockingjay, to be honest. It just wasn't as good as the first book, or even the second which I thought was just OK in comparison to the first. It was quite boring and very repititive, and the only thing that kept me reading was wanting to find out how it ended. The ending also seemed rushed to me.

The other book focuses on an RIR Captain from Portadown who fought in Afghanistan. If you're interesting that sort of thing then it's a decent read.

Currently reading South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Never read Bukowski, but want to check him out. What kind of stuff is it?
    His novels (the ones that I have read, anyway) seem to be a semi-fictional account of his life. Hollywood, for example, deals with his experience writing the screenplay for Barfly, although it would still be called a work of fiction.

He also has quite a bit of poetry, though I haven't read any of that as of yet.

vCash
    I am currently reading Cloud Atlas and it has been tough getting into it, but now that am past page 100 am more into it.

vCash
    Fast Food Nation: 9/10

American Creation: 9/10

Into The Wild: 10/10

LOVE ME SOME BOOKS!

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    books i want to read, havent gotten to them yet. can i get an opinion?

Ender's Game

The Stand (S. King)

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (do i need to read the original "hitchhikers guide" part 1?)

The Giving Tree

Dune

The Things They Carried

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast