Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    life of pi
    9.5/10
    good book! very well written and pretty inspiring.

vCash
    reading the hobbit now
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicHero3 View Post
    life of pi
    9.5/10
    good book! very well written and pretty inspiring.
    I might have to read that again. I read it a while ago and just didn't get from it what everyone else did. Not that I didn't like it, I did, but so many people loved it.

The movie should be out soon....interested to see how they work that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I might have to read that again. I read it a while ago and just didn't get from it what everyone else did. Not that I didn't like it, I did, but so many people loved it.

The movie should be out soon....interested to see how they work that.
    honestly, theres so many things that happen that i can def see how u can get lost. I had to re-read some chapters/pages a couple of times in some instances. As he stated in the book, his recollections on the boat are not in chronological order so it can get pretty confusing.

vCash
    Last book I read was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. 10/10
    Such a great series.

vCash
    The Company by Robert Littel. Awesome awesome book!

vCash
    So long and thanks for all the fish - 5/10

No Trillian,Zaphod, and only one chapter with marvin?!

vCash
    So long and thanks for all the fish - 5/10

No Trillian or Zaphod, and only one chapter with Marvin?!

vCash
    BTW am kind of hype for ''the wind through the key hole'' by King.

vCash
    Last three books:

The Hunger games: 9.5/10. I couldn't put the book down. Loved every second of it, even if some parts were predictable...but that's a complaint you'll have for an awful lot of books.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire: 7/10. I enjoyed it a lot, even if it wasn't quite as good as the first book. It's kind of a stepping stone book to get from book 1 to 3, so I knock it a bit for not being able to stand alone as a solid book by itself.

The Hunger Games, Mockingjay: 5.5/10. Again, I still liked the book, but it disappointed me. Katniss's character is so weak in this book compared to the first one, and even though it's intentional I don't like it. The writing is just not great in this book imo.

Overall, I liked the series a lot and would recommend it to anyone. But I definitely got the impression that the first book was written to be a stand-alone novel originally, but the publisher read the book and decided they could make way more money by adding sequels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    BTW am kind of hype for ''the wind through the key hole'' by King.
    Already ordered my limited edition! The Dark Tower is probably my favorite thing to ever read. What a journey to be taken on as a reader. I like the ending of the books before the few extra pages, but I can see what you meant in your rating. I went over a year without reading the extra "ending", but caved in eventually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Last three books:

The Hunger games: 9.5/10. I couldn't put the book down. Loved every second of it, even if some parts were predictable...but that's a complaint you'll have for an awful lot of books.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire: 7/10. I enjoyed it a lot, even if it wasn't quite as good as the first book. It's kind of a stepping stone book to get from book 1 to 3, so I knock it a bit for not being able to stand alone as a solid book by itself.

The Hunger Games, Mockingjay: 5.5/10. Again, I still liked the book, but it disappointed me. Katniss's character is so weak in this book compared to the first one, and even though it's intentional I don't like it. The writing is just not great in this book imo.

Overall, I liked the series a lot and would recommend it to anyone. But I definitely got the impression that the first book was written to be a stand-alone novel originally, but the publisher read the book and decided they could make way more money by adding sequels.
    I can see what you mean somewhat, but I actually liked book 2 and 3 more than you. One reason is, my wife had just finished THG when we went and saw the movie opening night. Leaving the theatre with her, she talked about things she wished she knew more about, or had more information on...which she will get in the coming books. It was so hard for me to bite my tongue and not spoil it.

In the end, THG series is one of my favorite dystopia's in a while. BUT if anyone likes this kind of reading, there is a series out now(movies rumored) called The Maze Runner. I believe they are all 3 better than the Hunger Games series.

vCash
    Ok, so I'm what some would call a nerd. I read between 4-6 books a month, and rarely do you find me without my nose in one during down time. I'm really into dystopia's and post apocolytpic reads, and prefer series over single books. I get so engrossed in a story that it is hard to feel satisfied after one book. That being said, here are my last few reads...

Enclave by Ann Aguirre: 7.8 out of 10. It's a short read, as I finished it in a day, but it was entertaining. Again, a dystopian society book, I'm addicted. It's a YA read, so it's simple and not overly hard to figure out, but there are some good plot twists, and it's a page turner. (2nd book coming soon!)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Steig Larsson: 8.3 out of 10. My second favorite book of the series after Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo, the last 150 pages of this book are impossible to not read like there is nothing left in life. A sad thing that the series ended before it was due to(supposedly 10 books), but hopefully the families involved get out of court and let Larsson's long time friend finish the 4th book.

Under the Dome by Stephen King: 7 out of 10. Not my favorite thing he has ever written, but man he is the king(haha) of character building. A pretty big read, so don't pick it up if you don't want to spend a couple weeks on something.
    Last edited by Young2Kinsler; 03-27-2012 at 12:46 AM.

vCash
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Moons_%28novel%29

I loved this book so much that no rating can do it justice.

vCash
    Don't Put Me In Coach, by Mark Titus. !0/10, I loved it, a hilarious look into a D1 locker room. I'll never look at Daequan Cook, Greg Oden, Will Buford and of course Evan Turner the same way again.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast