Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I for got to add "The Strain Trilogy" by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

The series gets a 9.2/10.

The Strain - 9.5/10 - Love this book, it brought back vampires to what they really are a bunch of beast with no emotions unlike the gay vampires we have seen the last decade. This book was a bit scary at time.

The Fall - 8.5/10 - I still like it, but it turn into a more of an action book, all the creepiness kind of went away.

The Night Eternal 7.7/10 - I did not like a few things about it like the time jump and the ending again left me wanting more.

All in all a great series and I hope it gets made into a tv show.

vCash
    The last book i read was The TOMES OF THE DEAD: Viking Dead.

Vikings,Zombies and plenty of action. Plus the story was pretty decent as was the set up for a second book. 8 of 10 for me. Of course i love vikings and zombies so I may be a bit biased.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Last three books:

The Hunger games: 9.5/10. I couldn't put the book down. Loved every second of it, even if some parts were predictable...but that's a complaint you'll have for an awful lot of books.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire: 7/10. I enjoyed it a lot, even if it wasn't quite as good as the first book. It's kind of a stepping stone book to get from book 1 to 3, so I knock it a bit for not being able to stand alone as a solid book by itself.

The Hunger Games, Mockingjay: 5.5/10. Again, I still liked the book, but it disappointed me. Katniss's character is so weak in this book compared to the first one, and even though it's intentional I don't like it. The writing is just not great in this book imo.

Overall, I liked the series a lot and would recommend it to anyone. But I definitely got the impression that the first book was written to be a stand-alone novel originally, but the publisher read the book and decided they could make way more money by adding sequels.
    This was pretty much how I felt. The first book was awesome, so original and the action was great, couldn't put it down. I was interested in the second book more to tie up loose ends from the first, the first 3/4 of it were really good. Once they entered the arena the story changed completely and it just wasn't very good anymore. I don't like the idea of them having a war with guns and bombs when what made the first story so good was people killing each other with swords and arrows. Sort of cheapened the first book. What bothers me is that I feel like the first book was written as a stand alone, then they demanded more books because it was making so much money so they through something together with the next two that was basically completely different other than the title. Hunger Games gets a 10, Catching Fire gets a 7.5, Mockingjay gets a 4.

vCash
    The Rook. 7/10. Its a supernatural mystery novel by Daniel O'Malley. Bourne Identity meets X-Men is how they described it and its a fairly accurate description. It was released earlier this year. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 04-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Hunger games: 7/10 Pretty interesting but a little twilightish.

vCash
    I read Who Moved My Cheese for a business class for extra credit. It wasn't terrible. Very short. 7/10

vCash
    Currently reading 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury. Enjoying it so far.

I set a goal to read 52 books this year, but so far I'm about four behind because of school work. Hoping to catch up sooner or later.

Is anyone else on goodreads.com?

“Celtic is important to me in as much as it’s one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained.” - Billy Connolly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazin' Mets View Post

I set a goal to read 52 books this year, but so far I'm about four behind because of school work. Hoping to catch up sooner or later.

I am now and its the greatest website ever.

vCash
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 7/10 - Pretty solid I guess. Really could have used a stricter editor. Not every character and minor event needs 5 paragraphs of background info. If anyone liked this, I highly recommend checking out Robert Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazin' Mets View Post

Funny my wife set the same goal....and somehow I'm ahead of her and I didn't even set the goal.

Never been on goodreads.com

vCash
    I'll do the last couple books I read:

Kill Shot - Vince Flynn 8/10. Pretty solid prequel based on the early years of Mitch Rapp.

Running Blind - Lee Child 9.5/10. Would have given him 10/10 but the ending wasn't nearly as good as the build up to it. Either way, Jack Reacher is awesome.

The Rembrandt Affair - Daniel Silva 10/10. Silva's a fantastic writer and Gabriel Allon is right up there with Rapp/Reacher. Starts off they're just looking for a missing painting and ends up leading to stolen money from Jews in the Holocaust.

The Last Patriot - Brad Thor 8/10. Harvath's pretty cool. I still like Rapp, Reacher and Gabriel a lot better but it's a pretty solid action/thriller series.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    You bastards. I just spent the last hour on goodreads rating books and adding 100 to my "to read". That site is addicting.

Somebody on PSD recommended Jonathan Franzen a while ago. I'm reading "Freedom" now. Anyone ever read him? Thoughts?

vCash
    Animal Farm- 10/10. Although short, still great. I'm reading 1984, not nearly as interesting though.

vCash
    May or may technically be considered a book but, The Odyssey in my Mythology class last semester.

vCash
    Slaughterhouse 5-9.3/10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Slaughterhouse 5-9.3/10
    If you liked that, go read "Breakfast of Champions" or "Cat's Cradle" ASAP! I'm a huge Vonnegut fan...

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast