Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Options:Pitching, Catching, and Teixeira

Our rotation is already one of the best in baseball but with the rays pitching and the yankees new rotation but we need to be the best. Even though probally the two best options have been taken we are left with many above average to decent guys.

Even though many will disagree I believe that Ben Sheets is the best remaining pitcher in the FA market. That year he had a injury free season with good stats and remember the Brewers aren't the best offense so his wins are down. People say he is injury prone but it is that much more than any of the other pitcher including beckett, and dice-k.

Over the past five years his highest ERA has been 3.82 and last years was 3.09. He has averaged 204 innings a year for his career, 172 strikeouts, a 1.20 whip. Last season he had 5 closed games, and only had 47 walks in 198 innings. Also at the age of 30 the red sox will have a team with the starters average age is 29.

I think those stats are good enough for a two years, 20-25 million. This guy is an ace and for some reason no one thinks anything of him.

Also they need some catching. I think Teagarden is one of the top young catchers. He has a lot of potential but doesn't have much mlb expirence at the age of 24.

Scouting Report
    Assets
    Has both the offensive potential and defensive acumen to become a quality starting catcher.

Flaws
    Needs to display more consistency in all aspects of his game in order to make the final leap in "the show".

Career potential
    A solid starting catcher

Also Saltalamacchia is a another top young catcher who has more of an offensive side than defense so far. He is 23 with two years in the majors.

Scouting Report

Assets
    The switch-hitter boasts good plate discipline, big-time power and a consistent stroke. Is a catcher first but can also play first base.

Flaws
    There's still some rough edges that need sharpening in his all-around catching game. Tends to have less power as a lefty batter.

Career potential
    An all-star catcher if he can improve as a receiver.

To get one of these catchers they will need to give away a masterson, buchholz, or a bowden which i am okay with. You also need a veteran catcher present which should be varitek. I would give him maybe a one or two year deal and at the most 12 million a year.

Also the red sox need some power in the lineup. Mark Teixeira is the best player to fill that role with plus power, plus defense, and plus contact. He is perfect for boston a player who could do it all. They really do need to get him to be the top of the divison. Theo needs to go all out to get him.

vCash
    dont we already have like 2 threads regarding what the needs are of the Red Sox? I don't even feeling like repeating myself so I'm gonna pass on this one...

vCash
    I like Sheets to. Allot of people disagree but I will take on my fantasy teeam again this year like aI try to do every year. I like him better then Lowe. I would bet he we stay allot healtyer with the Sox then he would with the Brewers or others teams that do not have the bull pen depth we have. I say we lock him up for 3 or 4 years and take a chance on him.

4. 12-15-2008, 05:49 PM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    I say we lock him up for 3 or 4 years and take a chance on him.
    i dont know i would want him for 3 to 4 years. he seems like that guy who is good in non pressure markets and then comes to a big team and forgets how to pitch, and i get a strong matt clement vibe off him lol

Sláinte
    Éirinn go Brách

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.drew View Post
    i dont know i would want him for 3 to 4 years. he seems like that guy who is good in non pressure markets and then comes to a big team and forgets how to pitch, and i get a strong matt clement vibe off him lol
    Which is why I like him for a low-risk, high-reward contract. 2 years, 18 million (yes, 9 a year is still a bargain for a pitcher as good as he is even with injury problems.) And throw in another 3 million a year with innings pitched, games started, and wins incentives.

The only difference with Clement is that he was healthy when he came to us from the Cubs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwyman View Post
    You also need a veteran catcher present which should be varitek. I would give him maybe a one or two year deal and at the most 12 million a year.
    You can't be serious here. 12 mil per would be a pay raise for him. Do you really believe after his performances these last couple of years that he should get MORE than what he makes now? 12 million for both years would be about my limit on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MVPOrtiz201 View Post
    You can't be serious here. 12 mil per would be a pay raise for him. Do you really believe after his performances these last couple of years that he should get MORE than what he makes now? 12 million for both years would be about my limit on him.

I don't understand why you would say that look at his era over the past few years. Can you imagine what this guy woud be like if hegott the run support that he would get with the Red Sox. Not to mention Ferrel working with him. And like I said before with our pen he wouldnt need to work as hard he can go 6 or 7 innings and be done

vCash
    A good incentive laden contract would be a good bet if sheets would take it. I worry that his arm troubles that kept him out of the playoffs last year will resurface at some point. Still Texiera has to be the focus for now. I expect the Yanks to make an offer at some point. Probably at the last minute, just when it looks like he's ready to sign. Regardless, he needs to be signed.

vCash
    All these pitchers are 100% dependant on whether Tex signs with us. If he gets his wish and becomes a 23mil per man we can't afford much else this year.
    We have fiscal limits and Tex will probably touch it with his deal. If Tex goes somewhere else we delve into other options. They simply aren't going to sit on that money saved. They would lose face.

That's the reason why I believe they get Tex at almost any cost.
    Then TRADE for a backstop or sign Tek. Tex is holding up Tek more than likely. Maybe there is some truth to this package deal.
    The small deals will involve the bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'papi View Post
    All these pitchers are 100% dependant on whether Tex signs with us. If he gets his wish and becomes a 23mil per man we can't afford much else this year.
    Why? Pedroia is the only new commitment for 2009 and his deal is barely $1M raise in 2009. Schilling & Manny leaving practically pays for Tex without altering payroll a dime. There's room for a move or two if they want to make it regardless of Tex.

vCash
    Don't forget Coco Crisp leaving either. We are saving 5 million from trading him. The Bay for Ramirez swap saved us 10.5 million. Schilling being gone is 8 million. Those three things alone give the Sox 23.5 million to sign Tex. If we do sign Tex, we trade Lowell, and probably eat some of the salary. So, we'll say 8 million there, Timlin gone is 3 million. Those two give 11 million, and that will be for another starter, probably Smoltz or Sheets. (If we can get Brad Penny, and he stays healthy, that would be very cheap and very good for a 1 or 2 year contract.) And if we could somehow dump Lugo, that frees up money for backups.

Obviously, all of these things are easier said than done. But, since all of this stuff is hypothetical, wouldn't it be great??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    I don't understand why you would say that look at his era over the past few years. Can you imagine what this guy woud be like if hegott the run support that he would get with the Red Sox. Not to mention Ferrel working with him. And like I said before with our pen he wouldnt need to work as hard he can go 6 or 7 innings and be done
    Wait, what? He said he would give Varitek 12 mill per. You must be talking about Sheets there, and that is not the part of his post I was responding to.