Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

So... A Serious "What If"..

What if Mark Teixeira takes the money from Washington, or stays out in LA? It's universally thought that the Sawx are really in need of an impact bat. Here's the thing: The team could literally add a 4th outfielder, replace Alex Cora, and go into 2009 exactly as constituted and barring injuries probably win 90 or more games.

But.. Is that enough? I know the Yankees are doing their typical Yankee thing. They signed Sabathia, they signed Burnett, before it is all said and done perhaps they sign ManRam, Sheets, Lowe? It's easy to hate the Yankees, and it's easy to say it's an old dog up to it's same tricks and that the team will never gel, but.. They are better, they are more talented.

Tampa is not a one and done squad. They're the same team, a year older, brimming with confidence, AND they will have a full season of David Price on the hill every 5th day.

All that said - Here is the big question: If Mark Teixeira takes the money and doesn't come to Boston.. Are the Red Sox a 3rd place team?

Is it the Tex counter punch, or nothing? I mean, I can't see a different alternative. The Teixeira signing will signify the moving on of Mike Lowell, but - There is no other impact bat that is a free agent that is good enough to cause Boston to make such drastic alteration for the sake of accommodating his arrival.

So I beg this question... What if? What if Tex signs elsewhere?

vCash
    Well, what'll happen is that we'll field the 2nd or 3rd best offense in the AL instead of the best in MLB.

We'll win 90 - 92 games, instead of 96 - 98.

We'll make the playoffs instead of making the playoffs.........

The outlook is dire.

vCash
    If the Red Sox don't sign Tex, Theo will probably move on to the trade market or wait until the season starts and look for an impact bat at the deadline. Not signing Tex just means the Red Sox will have a little harder road to the playoffs but they still have one of the best teams in the AL. It is likely that two teams from the AL East are in the 2009 postseason. With or without Tex, it will be a battle between Tampa, NYY, and the Red Sox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 76YazwSideburns View Post
    Well, what'll happen is that we'll field the 2nd or 3rd best offense in the AL instead of the best in MLB.

We'll win 90 - 92 games, instead of 96 - 98.

We'll make the playoffs instead of making the playoffs.........

The outlook is dire.
    Who said anything about dire? I mean, I know it's fashionable to peg yourself as the wise old intellectual among a see of retards, but it's not called for here. No pink hat, and no "Buckholtz" mis-spellings from this guy.

What I am asking is simple - Tampa will be equal or better. New York is going to be stronger. Are Boston, the brass, the fans, et al. satisfied with the team as status quo if Teixeira signs elsewhere? Or will Theo Epstein realize that his team is lacking, and try something drastic? Perhaps something that nobody has thought of yet?

Prince Fielder for the win? ...Anybody? ...Bueller..?

vCash
    if no tex then hopefully we going after david wright or jose reyes i dream

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPapelbon View Post
    Who said anything about dire? I mean, I know it's fashionable to peg yourself as the wise old intellectual among a see of retards, but it's not called for here. No pink hat, and no "Buckholtz" mis-spellings from this guy.

What I am asking is simple - Tampa will be equal or better. New York is going to be stronger. Are Boston, the brass, the fans, et al. satisfied with the team as status quo if Teixeira signs elsewhere? Or will Theo Epstein realize that his team is lacking, and try something drastic? Perhaps something that nobody has thought of yet?

Prince Fielder? I sure as hell hope not...

I think you completely missed the underlying point of Yaz's post. You're taking this too far. It's not like we're complete **** without Tex. We almost went to the World Series last year, yet lacked Lowell and had key injuries to much of our lineup. It's not like if we don't sign Tex we should just quit for the year... we'll still have a damn good team my friend. So to answer your question, if Theo DOESN'T get Tex... no, he DOESN'T need to do anything drastic. He'll just have to figure something out for the next year with Lowell being done soon, Ortiz possibly on the ropes within the next five, and the possibility of Lars Anderson contributing.
    Thanks to BeAn 5 ToWnE for the sig.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    if no tex then hopefully we going after david wright or jose reyes i dream
    Now what sense does that make for the Mets?
    Thanks to BeAn 5 ToWnE for the sig.

vCash
    ugh we got pitching,they got 2 closers and 1 sp,

vCash
    The Red Sox took the Rays to game 7 when a significant chunk of the talent on the team was playing hurt and probably wouldn't have been playing if they weren't in a playoff race/in the playoffs. Until the Longoria and Crawford injuries late in the season, the Rays stayed pretty much in tact and were close to 100% for the post season, with the one exception that Crawford didn't seem to be playing all out, but Longoria was obviously fine. Granted they may add another bat and Price will be in their rotation and he looks very scary. They would need some serious luck to stay that healthy for another full season, especially in their rotation.

The Yankees are signing up every quality arm they can find lately and they need to. Their rotation is a mess and the easiest way to fix it right now is to just throw money at it. Burnett is the poster boy for DL trips, but is very good when he's healthy. They also lost a lot of extra base pop in their lineup with the exits of Giambi and Abreu. My guess is that Swisher and Nady will be asked to put up numbers close to what Giambi and Abreu can, which is not asking a whole lot of them if you compare their stats from 2008. The Yankees can't help but be much improved over 2008 as long as they can stay healthy, especially on the mound.

The AL East will no doubt be the best division in baseball in 2009 with three playoff quality teams and Toronto, who would probably be in the discussion for a playoff spot if they didn't play 50-some games against the Sox/Yankees/Rays every year. If the Red Sox don't do any more than they already have, address their catching situation and find a utility IF and a quality defensive 4th OF, they would be just as good as 2008 (assuming Lowell and Ortiz recover from their injuries.) And their bullpen is probably better with Masterson and Ramirez presumably both there full time.

I think the Red Sox are going to be as good or better without Teixeira if they fail to sign him. With Teixeira they get younger and add a better bat to the middle of their lineup, and they have another corner piece for the franchise to build around. It is easy to see why the Sox want to bring him in.

vCash
    We will probably stand pat on the market and go with Lowell and Youk. We MIGHT take a look at lowe and if the Yanks sign Ramirez (which I don't think they will) then Theo COULD get desperate and trade Clay B. for Salty and sign Tek.
    YES

vCash
    man everyone showed their cards,all we gotta is bring the guy in and we do need him because papi i dont trust to be healthy through a full season no more

vCash

He said it in jest, jokingly. I'm guessing with his sense of humor its meant we are fine going forward. A SEA of retards......whew..

I will say this , they will certainly spend money somewhere look for another pitcher. Peavy maybe, after his agent today said the RS-NYY would be two teams he would go too now. (albeit kicking and screaming)
    Also Sheets, can't do it with a bat they will with dominating pitching.

Adam Dunn is still hanging out.

July trade deadline is also a chance to correct things.

Plus, I'm quite confident Tex is coming here. They can't sit on that pile of dough and expect fans to be happy, this unless you wear a pink hat or bangwagoneer garb.

Keeping ticket prices where they were doesn't mean diddly.

vCash

Prince Fielder...

Anyways...

I think the Red Sox will be fine. I think we can expect a GOOD (not great like 2007) season out of Lowell if we keep him. We do not NEED Tex. In the event that we don't get Tex, we keep the team the same (mostly). After 2009, we just hope that Lowell had a good year, giving him better trade value, and we hope that Lars is ready to go. If he's not, we either look for other alternatives or just let Lowell play out his 2010 year on his contract.

Really, Tex is a luxury. We do not NEED him. Would he have put us over the hump in 2008? Probably. But with a hopefully healthy Ortiz and a full season of Jason Bay, I'm confident our team will be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Prince Fielder...

Anyways...

I think the Red Sox will be fine. I think we can expect a GOOD (not great like 2007) season out of Lowell if we keep him. We do not NEED Tex. In the event that we don't get Tex, we keep the team the same (mostly). After 2009, we just hope that Lowell had a good year, giving him better trade value, and we hope that Lars is ready to go. If he's not, we either look for other alternatives or just let Lowell play out his 2010 year on his contract.

Really, Tex is a luxury. We do not NEED him. Would he have put us over the hump in 2008? Probably. But with a hopefully healthy Ortiz and a full season of Jason Bay, I'm confident our team will be fine.
    I disagree.....I don't think another bat is a luxury - I do think we need another strong bat. There are too many question marks with Lowell and Ortiz healthwise. Sure, I hope they are ready to go and have stellar seasons, but who knows. Drew, another on-off bat for the Sox, hasn't demonstrated the ability to pound through a full year. And while I love Pedroia, not sure he'll have the same bat as last year. Don't know if Tex is the end-all, be-all but I do think a good bat in the lineup is important. I'd also like to pick up another starting pitcher, but in my opinion this is the real luxury. The Manny-Ortiz combo is what made Boston a feared team over the past several years. Love Bay and hope we sign him to a long-term contract, but a Tex-like bat will be important IMO in order to confidently be at the top of the East. Bottom line is 3 teams will not make the playoffs from the East. New York is undoubtedly getting better, the Rays are certainly not getting any worse, and a strong bat (not to mention Tex's strong glove - so no loss in that category) will go a long way to solidifying Boston's place at or very near the top.

vCash
    Read my thread for my opinion on this matter.
    Last edited by quiksilver2491; 12-13-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast