Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Luckiest Franchise of all time is whom?

Voters
645. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lakers

303 46.98%
  • Celtics

52 8.06%
  • Bulls

164 25.43%
  • Pistons

3 0.47%
  • Spurs

50 7.75%
  • Rockets

11 1.71%
  • Sixers

5 0.78%
  • Bucks

7 1.09%
  • Warriors

3 0.47%
  • Heat

41 6.36%
  • Sonics

6 0.93%
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Luckiest Franchise of all time is whom?

Luckiest Franchise of all time is whom?

To me it has to be the Lakers.

Here are some things to note.

Started off their franchise with George Mikan the best player in the league and won 3 titles with him in Minneapolis however.

Got the #1 pick in the 1958 draft and they took Elgin Baylor

Got the #2 pick in the 1960 draft and they took Jerry West

Preceded to then get Wilt Chamberlain in a trade and this is how they got him.

Wilt Traded

These were the players in the deal.

Jerry Chambers, Archie Clark, Darrall Imhoff for Wilt Chamberlain
    They then preceded to get Kareem in a deal who was in his prime at the time for this package.

Kareem Traded

Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Meyers, Junior Bridgeman, future considerations for Kareem
    Next off,

In 1979-1980 they got the #1 pick in the draft even though they were 47-35 the year before and they got Magic Johnson.
    Lakers win the title that year as well.

The next year in 1980-1981 they go 54-28 and lose in the 1st round, but yet they get the #1 pick again in the draft.

WTH!!!

In 1996 they get a top 3 Player in the League in Shaquille O'neal and trade Vlade for Kobe (who became great after a few years)

In 2007-2008 they trade for all star big man in Pau Gasol

It seems every decade they have great players and when I say great players I mean guys who are top 3 in the league in any given year. I don't think any other franchise has ever had that. Also they have been a championship team or contender every decade.

Some of the players they got in trades is downright highway robbery. How in the world can you get top 3 players all time in Kareem and Wilt for packages like that?

I don't think any other franchise has had that much luck especially not when the team was good and they still got #1 picks as well.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    The Lakers are probably the luckiest team with all of the reasons you listed. However, I'm under the school of thought that if a team/organization has made great decisions in picks/trades historically, they do so because they are well managed.

Your Bulls are in the running for being the luckiest team as well with Jordan... he turned the Bulls from nothing to one of the most well known teams in the league. That is one great pick in many that turned out better than any pick in the history of basketball for a franchise.

One pick is luck. Many picks and trades shows a history of great decisions...

vCash
    Good argument but I'll go with Bulls.
    If Portland drafts Jordan, then Chicago has 0 rings. That woulda changed the landscape of the league to this day as well.

vCash
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Jerry Buss just "gets it."

I'm sure the Suns could've been lucky this decade, but they made poor personnel decisions (trading draft picks for cash i.e. Rudy Fernandez, letting Joe Johnson go, etc..)

vCash
    the celtics...they have the most chips to proove it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    Good argument but I'll go with Bulls.
    If Portland drafts Jordan, then Chicago has 0 rings. That woulda changed the landscape of the league to this day as well.
    I don't think that is luck because in 1979 the Lakers had the #1 pick and the Bulls had the #2 pick. I think we have been lucky since MJ came aboard, but mainly in the 90's. But not any of the other time. How do you get the #1 pick two years apart when you are already a title contender which is what the Lakers got in 1979 and 1982? That is simply luck IMO.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HOZ THE KNICK View Post
    the celtics...they have the most chips to proove it.
    Only because you have the most Championship's doesn't mean your the luckiest team.

By the way, i think it is has to be the Bull when jordan fell to their lap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoBASS View Post
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Jerry Buss just "gets it."

I'm sure the Suns could've been lucky this decade, but they made poor personnel decisions (trading draft picks for cash i.e. Rudy Fernandez, letting Joe Johnson go, etc..)

You can then make the argument that LA was lucky Fisher was forced to move and that LA had the doctors he needed.
    And that Bynum went from not playing well and being ripped on by kobe, to one of the best C's in the league in a single offseason..
    Then there's Kobe wanting out of LA. Lucky they didn't deal him. Then there's the Pau trade.

It's not about who wasn't lucky, so leave the Suns out of it. They haven't had an ounce of luck since coming into this league.
    IE: Lost coin flip costing us Kareem, Paxton in the finals, suspensions and injuries. (Otherwise u forgot to mention Rondo and Deng)
    Last edited by king4day; 11-25-2008 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    I don't think that is luck because in 1979 the Lakers had the #1 pick and the Bulls had the #2 pick. I think we have been lucky since MJ came aboard, but mainly in the 90's. But not any of the other time. How do you get the #1 pick two years apart when you are already a title contender which is what the Lakers got in 1979 and 1982? That is simply luck IMO.
    Good point.
    I think I'm just lookin at it from franchise altering scenarios. Maybe 'fortunate' would be a better term in regards to having Jordan fall to them.

vCash
    The #1 draft picks weren't lucky, they were from trades weren't they? One of them was from the Gail Goodrich trade I think.

vCash
    I'd say Lakers. Because if it wasnt for luck. They'd suck. they have no skills. everybody knows that
    Fight the Power

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    You can then make the argument that LA was lucky Fisher was forced to move and that LA had the doctors he needed.
    And that Bynum went from not playing well and being ripped on by kobe, to one of the best C's in the league in a single offseason..
    Then there's Kobe wanting out of LA. Lucky they didn't deal him.
    Then there's the Pau trade.

It's not about who wasn't lucky, so leave the Suns out of it. They haven't had an ounce of luck since coming into this league.
    IE: Lost coin flip costing us Kareem, Paxton in the finals, suspensions and injuries. (Otherwise u forgot to mention Rondo and Deng)
    I don't think a guy that was a top 10 pick who averaged 13ppg and 10rpg in his 3rd year is luck, that is what called hard work from the player. And them not trading Kobe wasn't luck either because it didn't happen by chance, it was because they didn't feel like they were getting enough talent in return.

vCash
    I say Lakers or Celts basing it on championships.
    Toronto Raptors ~ Miami Heat ~ Los Angeles Lakers

~ ~

vCash
    The reason the Lakers got the number 1 pick in 1979 was because Gail Goodrich left the Lakers in 1976 to join the Jazz and back then there was a rule that gave compensation for a lost veteran free agent. The Lakers got a first and a second round pick in 1978 and the Jazz's in 1979. In 1979 the Jazz ended with the worst record. The Lakers got the number 1 pick in 1982 by trading with Cleveland the year before. After this happened the NBA installed a lottery system to ensure that the NBA champions would not get a first pick again.

vCash
    Lakers

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast