Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Eating Healthy, but keeping calories steady

So about a month ago when I came back to college for the semester, I decided I was going to eat healthy. Doing stuff like this has always been easy for me, so my discipline's not in question here. What I question is if I'm doing this right.

I started off with no real restrictions, I just used my discretion. I ate healthy though. About halfway through I decided to give up red meat completely. I barely ate it any ways in the previous couple weeks, and the one time I had it (it was some BBQ beef stuff), I had no craving whatsoever to eat it again, oddly. I'm not watching my sodium intake, as I find it impossible to as a college student.

So I have a couple questions here:

1. How can I keep my calorie intake at around 2200 to 2500 calories? I've been intaking that much for the most part, outside of a couple of days where I've been busy or I wasn't feeling well. But I'm eating the same **** over and over again, for the most part. I feel like I'm losing weight even though I'm likely intaking just as much calories as before. I don't want to lose weight, I just want to eat healthy. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

2. Is it unhealthy to have somewhat the same eating routine, even if it's all healthy? I'm getting in all of the food groups I'm pretty sure, but it's the same food within that food group mostly.

vCash
    Just to be safe, you should be taking a multivitamin. Sort of off topic, but just saying.

Build a food list, and rotate it. Chicken breast, tuna, brown rice, high fiber pasta, eggs, etc....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post
    Just to be safe, you should be taking a multivitamin. Sort of off topic, but just saying.

Build a food list, and rotate it. Chicken breast, tuna, brown rice, high fiber pasta, eggs, etc....
    How often should this rotation be? Every other day? Every other week?

I mean I basically eat everything you listed on either a daily or other daily basis.
    Last edited by Driven; 02-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.

vCash
    I kind of understand what you are saying, but i basically eat the same exact thing every single day and am fine with it.

Have been doing so far the past 3-4 years.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    I kind of understand what you are saying, but i basically eat the same exact thing every single day and am fine with it.

Have been doing so far the past 3-4 years.
    As long as there's no problems with doing that, I'm fine with it. Just curious if there was something wrong with that or not.

vCash
    I don't think their is anything wrong with it.

Might get extremely boring and monotonous, but its not unhealthy(to my knowledge)
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    So about a month ago when I came back to college for the semester, I decided I was going to eat healthy. Doing stuff like this has always been easy for me, so my discipline's not in question here. What I question is if I'm doing this right.

I started off with no real restrictions, I just used my discretion. I ate healthy though. About halfway through I decided to give up red meat completely. I barely ate it any ways in the previous couple weeks, and the one time I had it (it was some BBQ beef stuff), I had no craving whatsoever to eat it again, oddly. I'm not watching my sodium intake, as I find it impossible to as a college student.

So I have a couple questions here:

1. How can I keep my calorie intake at around 2200 to 2500 calories? I've been intaking that much for the most part, outside of a couple of days where I've been busy or I wasn't feeling well. But I'm eating the same **** over and over again, for the most part. I feel like I'm losing weight even though I'm likely intaking just as much calories as before. I don't want to lose weight, I just want to eat healthy. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

2. Is it unhealthy to have somewhat the same eating routine, even if it's all healthy? I'm getting in all of the food groups I'm pretty sure, but it's the same food within that food group mostly.
    Yeah, Im in that category as well. I've been eating the exact same things all day, ever day for a while now, and I know of, at least I think I know of, no problems that come with it. As long as you are getting what you need, your ok.

Are you working out more often or walking/running more often, even though you might not notice it? That happened with me when I was always walking to school, sometimes 2 times a day (there and back). I didn't even pay attention to it until a while after I noticed I was losing weight. Thinking your losing weight and actually losing weight are two totally different things. If you are in fact losing weight, then you may want to try eating more, or maybe just try throwing in some protein shakes or weight gain just for the added calories.

EDIT----- That was the other thing as well, cutting out red meats can hurt you in some ways. It is very high in iron and probably our best source of iron, unless we are taking iron pills.
    Last edited by Canada26; 02-18-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Credit--- Phins1983

vCash
    Driven, have you given up red meat entirely or would you be willing to try lamb? Also, your fish intake should be higher, especially since your losing a god amount of protein from the steaks.

Nothing wrong with following the same eating routine. As hughest said, it may be monotonous but it's still effective.

FYI, have you posted your bio in the check-in thread?
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    I have been walking a lot, but I always have. I figured that into everything as well. I think I'm just paranoid. I'm skinny as is.

I've never had lamb. I'll have to look into it before I try it. I basically gave up red meat completely, but much of that is just because I don't have much of a desire to eat it. I should eat fish a little more often, but I hate how low in calories it is. I do eat a decent amount of Tuna. I get a good amount of protein in my body, I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks for the help guys. I can tell you that I feel a lot healthier lately, although I've been drinking less as well. Can't wait until I cut that out too.