Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How do you rate this team?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unrealistic (contracts too small or uneven trades)

8 18.60%
  • Realistic, but not a playoff team (team is not improved)

6 13.95%
  • Realistic, and a playoff team (Team is improved)

21 48.84%
  • Realistic, and a World Series contender

8 18.60%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Vote: 1908_Cubs Plays General Manager

Simulation:

Starting Lineup:

1) Alfonso Soriano, LF ($16m)
    2) *David DeJesus ($3.6m) / Eric Byrnes, RF ($8m - after $3m savings)
    3) Derrek Lee, 1b ($13m)
    4) Aramis Ramirez, 3b ($14m)
    5) Mark DeRosa, 2b ($5.5m)
    6) Geovany Soto, C ($.401m)
    7) Kosuke Fukudome, CF ($11.5m)
    8) Ryan Theriot, SS ($.428m)

Bench:
    Ronny Cedeno ($.407m)
    Felix Pie ($.4m)
    *Henry Blanco ($1.5m)
    *Mark Loretta ($3m)

Pitching Rotation:

1) Carlos Zambrano ($17.75m)
    2) Rich Harden ($4.5m)
    3) *Brad Penny ($7.5m)
    4) Ted Lilly ($12m)
    5) Jeff Samardjiza ($2m)

Bullpen:
    1) Chad Gaudin ($1.775m)
    2) Sean Marshall ($.4m)
    3) Jose Ascaino ($.4m)
    4) Angel Guzman ($.401m)
    5) *Scott Schowenweiss ($3.6m)
    6) Carlos Marmol ($.43m)
    7) Kerry Wood ($9m)

*Indicates a new addition or a player who has been resigned

Starting Salary: $112,046,000
    Ending Salary: $138,192,000

Trades:
    Cubs send: Michael Wuertz / Neil Cotts to Arizona for Eric Byrnes and $3m per season
    Cubs send: Mike Fontenot / Jose Ceda / Rich Hill to Kansas City for David DeJesus
    Cubs send: Jason Marquis and $2m to the New York Mets for Scott Scowenweiss

Free Agency:
    1) Resign Henry Blanco 2years /$3.5m ($1.5m in 2009, $2m in 2010)
    2) Resign Kerry Wood 3 years, $30m ($9m in 2009, $10m in 2010, $11m in 2011)
    3) Sign Brad Penny to a 2 years / $16m w/ player incentives ($7.5m in 2008, can escalade to $9m if certain number of IP is reached, $8.5)
    4) Sign Mark Loretta to a one year $3m contract

Write Up:
    This is a very tricky offseason due to largely, what Ryan Dempster managed to do in 2008. He had an "ace" type season, out of relatively nowhere. Normally, you'd resign that player, however, I don't think Dempster can reproduce his season. Secondly, we have to reproduce the .950 OPS from Jim Edmonds last year, something that's going to be very hard as well. To offset these loses, I've made some trades and some signings that should bring us close to the production that those guys had.

First off, I dealt Michael Wuertz and Neil Cotts to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Eric Byrnes and a few million per year. Byrnes doesn't really have a spot in a crowded, young OF in Arizona. Arizona is losing Brandon Lyons and has no real LOOGY in their pen. This saves the Diamondbacks a lot of money, while giving them 2 useful bullpen pieces. Byrnes was hurt allof 2008, but still had an .817 OPS against LHP, and career is an .864 OPS against them. He replaces Johnson, can play RF and CF, and will be my platoon partner with my other half of my RF.

My other half of RF will be David DeJesus of the Kansas City Royals. With the departure of Mark Grudz at 2b, they have no one. Fontenot after having a very good 2008 will give him good trade value. We also deal Jose Ceda and Rich Hill, which should help out an amazingly poor pitching staff. Rich Hill is mostly just a toss in piece, and if he can figure it out, the Royals should be pretty happy. DeJesus posted an .875 OPS against RHP last year, but only a .725 against LHP, which is why Byrnes becomes important.

To replace Dempster, I've signed Brad Penny who's coming off an injury plagued season. He should come fairly cheap, but I've added in some incentives in his deal to escalate his contract in salary. My biggest questionmark will probably be the starting rotation, but it shouldn't be that bad. When healthy, I've got 3 very good front line guys, Lilly and Shark. If someone is hurt / fails (in the case of Shark), I've managed to keep Gaudin and Marshall to step into the roll, thus pushing Shark (if he failed) back into the bullpen.

The Bullpen should be largely intact, only with moving Shark into the rotation, however, keeping Guzman and Ascaino, one of them should replace Howry, and Schoewenweis gives the Cubs a legit LOOGY, something we were missing last year. Jason Marquis, on the other hand, gives pitching starved NYM a quality back end starter, and one whom they can part ways with at the end of the season. It also allows the Cubs to save some money. Keeping Woody and Marmol will give the team a very strong end of the bullpen once again.

I'm not sure if my team is going to be able to repeat the 95 win season of last year. Penny and Harden have the injury question behind them, but if one of them can be healthy all year long, they should be able to do a pretty good Dempster impression. If Shark outperforms Marquis in the rotation, we'll be fine, and it might not be that hard for him to do that. The lineup stays intact outside of the new RF combo I've set up, which should give the team a very offensively strong RF, as well as defensively strong. This team should win the division yet again, and should be in the 90+ win plateau. It should be strong in the playoffs as well, giving the cubs a Zambrano/Harden/Penny/Lilly playoff rotation, and sliding Shark back to the pen.

vCash
    Definitely a solid team. Its obvious the Cubs don't need too many improvements, considering the amount of wins they had last year.
    Only thing I don't like about yours is Marshall and Pie.
    Pie either needs to start or trade him. I don't see him being a bench player. He's great for defensive replacement, but I'd prefer him starting or on another team.

Also, Marshall really doesn't have dominant stuff and I'm not sold on him being a relief pitcher. Heck, I'm not even sold on him starting. The 'Shark' was great out of the bullpen IMO so I'd prefer he stayed there.
    Not a bad team though.

vCash
    Marshall is pretty much relegated to long relief. And I wanted to keep him around with Penny/Harden in the rotation. One of them will be hurt at some point, and I think he'd be the first bet to get a spot start.

I just couldn't find a home for Pie in any of my trades. So I kept him around for speed off the bench, and a defensive replacement.
    2015: For Ron and Ernie
    World Series or Bust
    www.cubsrelated.com for all things related to the cubs

vCash
    If Penny can stay healthy and go back to his 2007 form, I think that's a world series contending team.

vCash
    My biggest beef is Eric Byrnes. I just don't think he's that good. He's only really had two pretty good years, 2004 and 2007. Other than that he just hasn't been very good. Giving up Wuertz for Byrnes bothers me. Wuertz has had one bad year and it wasn't even that bad, Byrnes has had one year and it wasn't even that good.

Other than that I don't think you did too bad of a job and I think the team makes the playoffs.

Our Second Podcast Is Up! We would love your thoughts on it!

If you have images off in sigs, click here: www.CubsRelated.blogspot.com

Follow us on Twitter! @CubsRelated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    My biggest beef is Eric Byrnes. I just don't think he's that good. He's only really had two pretty good years, 2004 and 2007. Other than that he just hasn't been very good. Giving up Wuertz for Byrnes bothers me. Wuertz has had one bad year and it wasn't even that bad, Byrnes has had one year and it wasn't even that good.

Other than that I don't think you did too bad of a job and I think the team makes the playoffs.
    Wuertz doesn't really have a spot. And with Gaudin/Guzman/Marmol and Wood, we don't need another RH pitcher. We have good depth in the minors in relief pitching, thus he becomes a valuable trade chip.

You say his only good years are 2004 and 2007. However, Im using him primarily as a LHP hitting platoon guy.

2008 (injured): .817 OPS vs LHP
    2007: .786 OPS
    2006: .961 OPS
    2005: .784 OPS
    2004: 1.004 OPS
    2003: .863 OPS

Fact is, he's a great platoon partner. Add to that he's a pretty damn good fielder, and he makes up a sexy half of a platoon.

In a super weak NL Central next year (once the Brewers lose both Sheets and CC, with the Cardinals still not very good) my team is easily a playoff team. And honestly, if this team is even a downgrade, it's still going to be a world series contender in the NL. The dodgers will be getting weaker with the loss of Manny coming up.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-17-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    World Series or Bust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Wuertz doesn't really have a spot. And with Gaudin/Guzman/Marmol and Wood, we don't need another RH pitcher. We have good depth in the minors in relief pitching, thus he becomes a valuable trade chip.

You say his only good years are 2004 and 2007. However, Im using him primarily as a LHP hitting platoon guy.

2008 (injured): .817 OPS vs LHP
    2007: .786 OPS
    2006: .961 OPS
    2005: .784 OPS
    2004: 1.004 OPS
    2003: .863 OPS

Fact is, he's a great platoon partner. Add to that he's a pretty damn good fielder, and he makes up a sexy half of a platoon.

In a super weak NL Central next year (once the Brewers lose both Sheets and CC, with the Cardinals still not very good) my team is easily a playoff team. And honestly, if this team is even a downgrade, it's still going to be a world series contender in the NL. The dodgers will be getting weaker with the loss of Manny coming up.
    $8M for a LHP platoon guy is a little much if you ask me. Sure, great platoon partner but he's too expensive to be a platoon guy. I actually love him, I've seen him in interviews and things and he seems funny and pretty cool. It's just he's too expensive to platoon. As far as Wuertz goes, if he's being traded I think he should be in something for more than Byrnes. I don't know what exactly but to me Byrnes is pretty useless at that price.

I COMPLETELY agree with you about this being a playoff team. I just don't like the Byrnes trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    $8M for a LHP platoon guy is a little much if you ask me. Sure, great platoon partner but he's too expensive to be a platoon guy. I actually love him, I've seen him in interviews and things and he seems funny and pretty cool. It's just he's too expensive to platoon. As far as Wuertz goes, if he's being traded I think he should be in something for more than Byrnes. I don't know what exactly but to me Byrnes is pretty useless at that price.

I COMPLETELY agree with you about this being a playoff team. I just don't like the Byrnes trade.
    He can also fill in as a fulltime starter if Fukudome crashes and burns, something I didn't think, say, Reed Johnson could do effectively.

I agree the price on him as high on Byrnes, but he's been pretty solid over the last 2 years in Arizona. And I really just like him as a player.
    World Series or Bust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He can also fill in as a fulltime starter if Fukudome crashes and burns, something I didn't think, say, Reed Johnson could do effectively.

I agree the price on him as high on Byrnes, but he's been pretty solid over the last 2 years in Arizona. And I really just like him as a player.
    That's fine, like I said I like what you did. I don't think Byrnes is something I'd be able to get on board for though. Overall very nice job though.

vCash
    where does johnson go?
    BURN IN HELL JIM HENDRY

"I've never been in a fight in my life." - Milton Bradley

" The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said, I have believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the Sixties I tested everything"

Bill Spaceman Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier420 View Post
    where does johnson go?
    He's a FA. I obviously didn't resign him.
    World Series or Bust

vCash
    I really like the Byrnes idea, I had that a while ago. I would maybe try and have the D'backs throw in more cash, but Byrnes is a guy who at the very least mashes the hell out of lefties, plays great defense, and runs well. And he's shown flashes of hitting righties well, meaning he's at the very least a suped up Reed Johnson, possibly much more.

My only issue is the rotation. That rotation is potentially amazing, but it's also potentially horrendous. Harden's a huge injury risk, Shark's effectiveness is a big question, and Penny's health and effectiveness both come into question.

And one little thing, wouldn't Dejesus/Byrnes in CF and Fukudome in RF work a lot better than Fukudome in CF and Dejesus/Byrnes in RF?

Overall though real good job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    I really like the Byrnes idea, I had that a while ago. I would maybe try and have the D'backs throw in more cash, but Byrnes is a guy who at the very least mashes the hell out of lefties, plays great defense, and runs well. And he's shown flashes of hitting righties well, meaning he's at the very least a suped up Reed Johnson, possibly much more.

My only issue is the rotation. That rotation is potentially amazing, but it's also potentially horrendous. Harden's a huge injury risk, Shark's effectiveness is a big question, and Penny's health and effectiveness both come into question.

And one little thing, wouldn't Dejesus/Byrnes in CF and Fukudome in RF work a lot better than Fukudome in CF and Dejesus/Byrnes in RF?

Overall though real good job.
    It sucks because every one of the FA pitchers on the market, outside of Sabathia, are all injury risks. It's either:

Burnett - glass
    Sheets - may need TJ surgery, always hurt
    Penny - injury issues
    Johnson - 75 years old

I went with the cheapest option.
    World Series or Bust

vCash
    It'll take a little more for Eric Byrnes.
    Merry Christmas!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CY24 View Post
    It'll take a little more for Eric Byrnes.
    A) That's insane, Byrnes just isn't that good and has a huge contract.

B) How dare you post in here with your sig asking for Kerry Wood to go anywhere but back to the Cubs! (Even if there's a 1% chance or less of that happening.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast