Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Rangers Targeting Ben Sheets?

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick has a fine article up today looking at free agent pitcher Ben Sheets. Sheets, 30, posted a 3.09 ERA in 31 starts this year before an elbow injury shut him down. Sheets' agent, Casey Close, says Sheets has no structural damage in the elbow and expects it to fully heal before spring training. Close labeled talks with the Brewers "productive," so they're still in the mix. The Brewers will let Sheets reach the open market, though. Crasnick believes the Rangers will consider Sheets, who lives in Dallas during the offseason.
    www.mlbtraderumors.com

Sheets fits what Daniels looks for in pitching... Someone with huge potential, but has a tendency to be injured all of the time....

vCash
    Sign him. injury-prone though

vCash
    I say leave him and his 5 year contract alone..... he has never pitched a full season and has been on the DL something like 10 times in 9 years..... He will not give Texas a home team discount, because Texas is the place free agent pitchers only come to when they are overpaid... We have to wait out Millwood contract and ask San Fran about Zito (who we desperately wanted). I am all for acquiring a good young pitcher, just not overpaying for an older pitcher coming off arm problems.

vCash
    "I would love to have that guy on my team regardless of where I am," Maddux said in a phone interview.

One thing is a virtual certainty: Sheets' name will come up in conversation when Maddux meets with general manager Jon Daniels, assistant GM Thad Levine and the rest of the Texas front office Friday.

"I understand why general managers have concerns," Maddux said. "But as somebody who was close to him, you say, 'It's just a bump in the road.' A healthy Ben Sheets pays his dividends. He's pretty darned good. He started the All-Star Game, and that's not a mistake."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=3695863

This article states that they do not believe Sheets will be able to get a long-term contract due to his injury concerns.

vCash
    If we can sign him for 2-3 years, I am all for doing it, but at the end of the season, everyone was talking 5 years. I also did forget about Maddux..... being the Milwaukee pitching coach.... I wonder how Sheets liked Maddux, maybe he would cut Texas a deal.

vCash
    3 years, with performance clauses based off of IP's and I am all for it. The Rangers should have a ton of pitchers ready for the big show in 3 years, so I am not for signing him for 5 or 6 years.

vCash
    my bad it was 6 career dl trips...

vCash
    hope sheets doesn't become the next jason schmidt. what is it? 3 years / 48 million that LA offered? BUYER BEWARE!

we should go after oliver perez. he's younger, cheaper, and doesn't have as many ?'s as sheets.. although perez isn't as good as sheets when both are healthy.. but the name of the game is to be reliable.
    Last edited by nrvana; 11-13-2008 at 02:44 AM.

vCash
    Sheets on a 2-3 year deal is fine. You can't live life scared, which Hicks has done since the Chan Ho deal. This team can't succeed if you are going to play scared in free agency. everyone gets burned, but you gotta jump back into the fire. While I do really like sheets, I think this team would be better off fixing the bullpen first this offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Sheets on a 2-3 year deal is fine. You can't live life scared, which Hicks has done since the Chan Ho deal. This team can't succeed if you are going to play scared in free agency. everyone gets burned, but you gotta jump back into the fire. While I do really like sheets, I think this team would be better off fixing the bullpen first this offseason.
    But, you can live life smart. Sheets' body cannot stand up to a full season unless it is a free agent season. Then, amazingly all major leaguers suddenly get healthy and productive. Sheets isn't Chan Ho. He is actually talented and dominating. But, throwing millions to the DL isn't how this team is going to go to the next level. The best we'll get for any year with Sheets is 150-160 innings...and that's the best. Whoever signs him needs to pay accordingly. Past performance is a picture of future performance and we already know how Sheets will turn out. He is a buyer beware . That is why Milwaukee doesn't want him any more. They are tired of Sheets' MO of always breaking down when they really need him.

At the most, a one year low base high performance contract.
    Last edited by texassooner; 11-13-2008 at 05:26 PM.

vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOO. I have said this from the beginning AVOID SHEETS AT ALL COSTS! He is a waste and is a TERRIBLE DL trip. The guy couldnt even stay healthy in a contract year! AVOID HIM!!
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Ben Sheets would be just another on the list of pitchers brought to Texas on inflated salaries to under perform. There are too many ifs and negatives with Sheets. First, he hasn't pitched 200 innings in five years. You can try to make the claim that he has had bad luck with injuries, but his strikeout numbers have dropped drastically since that 2004 season. That shows that its safe to assume his injuries have affected his delivery. Over time, he has also shifted from mostly groundball outs, to increasingly more flyballs which is death in Arlington. Finally, with the dearth of starting pitching around the league, it will take something unreasonable for him to play for the Rangers. There's no chance he would sign with the Rangers unless it was a 4 year deal (or longer) for $15 million per (at least).

For free agent pitchers, I think the best options would be either Derek Lowe or Brad Penny; second tier relatively inexpensive pitchers with pitching styles that would suit the Ballpark well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    For free agent pitchers, I think the best options would be either Derek Lowe or Brad Penny; second tier relatively inexpensive pitchers with pitching styles that would suit the Ballpark well.
    Penny fits your description but not Lowe. Lowe will be getting big money probably from the Mets. But, Penny might be wanting only a one year deal so he can prove himself healthy and get back out on the auction block.

vCash
    I can see Penny or Sheets being an option for Texas, especially while everyone else is focusing on Sabathia, Lowe, and Burnett. The Rangers should strike first and focus on these guys with a decent off now, if they are not going for the top-dollar guys. Sheets could be affordable, compared to CC and Burnett, if the Rangers show him some love early, rather than making him a third-fourth choice like a lot of big money teams will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by serGeant View Post
    I can see Penny or Sheets being an option for Texas, especially while everyone else is focusing on Sabathia, Lowe, and Burnett. The Rangers should strike first and focus on these guys with a decent off now, if they are not going for the top-dollar guys. Sheets could be affordable, compared to CC and Burnett, if the Rangers show him some love early, rather than making him a third-fourth choice like a lot of big money teams will.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Texas waits for 2-3 weeks to see if these guys' teams offer them arbitration or not it might since it might save Texas from losing a draft pick. For instance, it seems doubtful that the Cubs would offer aribration to Wood but he is a type A. If they do offer it and he accepts their plan for the bullpen and their budget would be dramatically changed so they might not risk it.

Maybe the same goes for Penny and to a lesser degree Sheets. So, I would think that Texas will wait 2-3 weeks before signing anyone unless they know for sure the original team will or will not offer arbitration.

I am hoping Texas and Boston will complete their trade that seems inevitable. I am also hoping that Texas will be able to either turn Ramirez or be willing to include which ever of Salty or Laird is not traded for an additional young starting pitcher.

I would love to see Bradley resigned for a one year with two options years that can be vested. That really looks doubtful.
    Last edited by texassooner; 11-14-2008 at 08:06 PM.