Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

It's make-or-break time for Jon Daniels and the Texas Rangers

Its so funny these editorialist's start saying this NOW. Long after Daniels has been raped for years on trades and has earned himself the worst general manager in baseball badge. But right, THIS is the season that will define him? I mean I guess I can't give them all the blame, I mean the one guy from the Star Telegram is ACTUALLY suggesting that we go after Manny....It's no wonder Daniels is so effed up in the head.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    First off, Daniels has made 1 pretty bad deal, and 1 other that you still can't judge. Second, he has built a top 3 farm in baseball, and you can already see it producing at the big league level. This isn't the season, nor offseason that defines this team. They don't have to make tons of moves, because they still have to wait and see what the young kids can do, let them win positions, and then fill in the holes. Next offseason might be a big one, but more likely than not, Texas will be improved this season, but not a real contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    First off, Daniels has made 1 pretty bad deal, and 1 other that you still can't judge. Second, he has built a top 3 farm in baseball, and you can already see it producing at the big league level. This isn't the season, nor offseason that defines this team. They don't have to make tons of moves, because they still have to wait and see what the young kids can do, let them win positions, and then fill in the holes. Next offseason might be a big one, but more likely than not, Texas will be improved this season, but not a real contender.
    The only thing JD has to do this off season is what we and probably every Ranger forum has discussed. JD needs to turn one or two catchers into young major league ready starting pitching. Other than that, he doesn't HAVE to sign any free agents and he doesn't HAVE to produce a particular win / loss record. He does HAVE to not screw up by trading away our elite prospects and messing up this team's future. JD is very capable of screwing things up and if he can keep from doing that as he turns a couple of catchers into pitching...he will have been successful.

Texas' due date is 2010 / 2011. Andrus, Smoak, Borbon will join this team along with Holland, Feliz and maybe Main. That is the time this team has to take the next step...not this year.

Great news! JD didn't trade for Olsen. So far so good. If only he could bring Nolasco and Bucholtz home without hurting the team.
    Last edited by texassooner; 11-11-2008 at 11:03 PM.

vCash

one bad trade? hes made plenty. Heres a list:

Terrible Trades:
    1. Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez to Padres
    2. Armando Gallaraga to Tigers
    3. Alfonso Soriano to Nationals
    4. John Danks to White Sox ( what has McCarthy done? don't argue it)

Trades that were not terrible but were not good:
    1. David Delluci to Phillies for Robinson Tejada
    2. Carlos Lee trade
    3. Ben Brousard trade
    4. Phil Nevin to Cubs for Hairston Jr.

Good Trades:

1. Gagne to Red Sox for Murphy and Gabbard.
    2. Teixeira Trade

And lets not forget about piece of crap free agents he decided to invest in with the little money Hicks lets him spend.

1. Jason Jennings
    2. Kaz Fukumori
    3. Frank Catalanotto
    4. Kevin Millwood

vCash
    I will NEVER understand the Galarraga or the C Young trades. I remember Towers from SD virtually laughing at him for that giveaway. I love the moves JD has made in building the farm system, but Florida has built up and town down their team what 3 times since we have been competive. I live in Round Rock and seeing what Nolan Ryan did with the astros AA and AAA teams makes me have a lot of hope. They are absolutely top notch.

vCash
    Trades
    Good
    Ricardo Rodriguez for Vicente Padilla - Padilla has been good and a little moody but thats fine

BAD!
    Soriano for Wilkerson, Sledge, Galarraga - wilkerson yuck... sledge see the next disaster... Galarraga was a good pickup but was let go infavor a Jennings last year... he could have helped save this deal... but in the end we ended up with Jennings costing him the roster spot...

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!
    Chris Young, Sledge, Gonzalez for Eaton and Otsuka - Eaton hardly played for the rangers... Otsuka was a good pickup while it lasted but a Allstar 1B and SP for a good reliever is way to expensive and just @!#$@#$ frustraiting.

Neutral...
    Juan Dominguez for John Rheinecker and Freddie Bynum
    Freddie Bynum for John Koronka - As we know Rheinecker and koronka had a good run for a little while. Dominguez was done with the Rangers... in the long run nothing for nothing.

Bad...
    Nix, Mench, Cordero for Carlos Lee & Nelson Cruz - Rangers needed Cordero more than they needed Lee. Lee didn't put up the power numbers the rangers expected, Cruz never worked out. Nix never performed, Mench was streaky as always and Cordero regained his old form as he was starting to do with the Rangers.

BAD!@#$%#$% Chris Young all over again! :cry:
    Danks for McCarthy - DOH!

GOOOOOOOD!
    Teixeira and Mahay for Satalamachia, Elvis Andrus, Matt Harrison, Neftali Feliz - Salty looks like he's going to bring in another pitcher, Andrus and harrison look like the future, and Feliz is expected to be great also.

GOOD!
    Gagne for Gabbard and Murphy - Murphy was great last year, Gabbard has looked good to me when healthy

GOOD!
    Lofton for Max Ramierz - Catching prospiect who might bring in another pitcher soon

Bad
    Gallaraga for Michael Hernandez - we saw what Gallaraga did last year

GOOOOOOOOOD!
    Volquez for Hamilton - Volquez was probalby on his last go with the Rangers and probalby needed the fresh start... Hamilton was a huge success for the Rangers last year.

Signings
    Jason Jennings - Bad ended up leading to trade of Gallaraga

Kaz Fukumori - No biggie...

Millwood - ok hopefully will get better

Padilla - good

Catalanotto - didn't really need him, still can play... TRADE please!

Gagne - played well for rangers made good trade bait

Lofton - played will for rangers made good trade bait

Overall all i can say is JD has gotten better as he has gone along. As others said... all he has to do is not screw up and he'll be ok.
    Last edited by Deadlock0071; 11-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock0071 View Post
    Trades

Bad...
    Nix, Mench, Cordero for Carlos Lee & Nelson Cruz - Rangers needed Cordero more than they needed Lee. Lee didn't put up the power numbers the rangers expected, Cruz never worked out. Nix never performed, Mench was streaky as always and Cordero regained his old form as he was starting to do with the Rangers.

Catalanotto - didn't really need him, still can play... TRADE please!
    Don't disagree with the others you mention but do about these. Cat has not shown he can still play and the truth is, Texas would love to trade him but the market for non-producing players who make $4m and have another $1m-$2m buy-out for 2010 isn't very high. Texas is stuck and gave up a first round draft choice in addition. It was a terrible signing.

Cordero was lost through free agency and probably was going elsewhere if he had been a Ranger. He had some choice words about how poorly Jon Daniels had led this team as he was leaving. I think he was thrilled to have escaped from Texas.

Cruz may be the steal of the deal if he can repeat last year but this time in the majors. His time with the Rangers in August and September suggested that maybe he is finally ready to shine for this team so don't judge that deal quite yet. Texas might come up big in that trade after all.
    Last edited by texassooner; 11-12-2008 at 12:54 PM.

vCash
    I already forgot Cruz got on that roll at the end of the year... I'm very skeptical of him still but you could be right... he can obviously produce at a high level... question is can he do it for a full year at the pro level.

I agree Catt was a bad signing, I didn't really make that clear before, but the rangers didn't need him and they payed him to much... I think he can still play obp/slg/ba he career .358/.449/.292 and was .342/.399/.274 last year... obviously lower than his career avg but Young was .339/.402/.284 big thing for Young is he's clutch Cat definitely wasn't last year. Someone oughta want Cat if we cover some/most of his salary lol.

vCash
    I agree with deadlock with the exception of the Lee trade..... not only do you have Cruz who may have finally "got it" last year, but Texas received two compensatory picks for Lee and picked Blake Beavan - 17th overall and Julio Bourbon - 35th overall. Also Cordero was a mess with Texas and the ballpark was in his head (he was 7-4 with 4.81 era and had blown 9 out of 15 save opp. at the time of the trade).... and if you remember the next year Milwaukee came to Texas and Cordero came in and was hammered by Texas in all 3 games (I think taking two losses). I dont know if Cordero was a Type A free agent when he left Milwaukee... but, he had lost the closer job and would not have been one had he stayed in Texas.

I also think that JD has improved... but more importantly Nolan Ryan has assumed control of the team. You are crazy if you think JD gets to pick out what kind of toilet paper the team will use without consulting Nolan....

vCash
    OK ok... the picks are starting to change my mind lol... Plus if Cruz has turned the corner that trade was a steal. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock0071 View Post
    I already forgot Cruz got on that roll at the end of the year... I'm very skeptical of him still but you could be right... he can obviously produce at a high level... question is can he do it for a full year at the pro level.

I agree Catt was a bad signing, I didn't really make that clear before, but the rangers didn't need him and they payed him to much... I think he can still play obp/slg/ba he career .358/.449/.292 and was .342/.399/.274 last year... obviously lower than his career avg but Young was .339/.402/.284 big thing for Young is he's clutch Cat definitely wasn't last year. Someone oughta want Cat if we cover some/most of his salary lol.
    I would rather release Cat this week than see one of our young promising guys exposed to the Rule 5 draft. Then, we have to pay for all of Cat's salary but at least having him on the 40 doesn't force us to lose someone else. Where in the world does he play on our team? He is poor defensively and has no speed so he is even a liability on the bench. We can't trade him. There are just as good of players on the waiver wire all the way to opening day if we need someone like him after Spring Training. Everything I have heard about him is that he is a great person. He just doesn't fit anymore as a player.
    Last edited by texassooner; 11-13-2008 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    Yea, one pretty bad deal? I'm not sure which trades your looking at but I'd say 90% have been terrible. My votes still out on the Texieria deal as well. I think we could have gotten a good PITCHER for him which we did not as we centered it around a catcher we didn't need. Poor judgment on Daniels part.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    Yea, one pretty bad deal? I'm not sure which trades your looking at but I'd say 90% have been terrible. My votes still out on the Texieria deal as well. I think we could have gotten a good PITCHER for him which we did not as we centered it around a catcher we didn't need. Poor judgment on Daniels part.

Harrison and Feliz are two stud pitchers. And he got the top cather prospect and a amazing shortstop prospect as well as a couple of lower level guys. If there is anything Daniels has done right it was the Teixeira deal. Plus hes made a couple of other solid trades. Key word : couple

vCash
    The Rangers have a history of bad deals and hopefully Nolan will get this front office straightened out. I am not sure they don't like it like this anyway. Hopefully the declining attendance has caught someone's attention and things will finally change. But I wouldn't hang my hat on it.
    The one guy I would like to see traded is Blalock. I have come to the realization that he just doesn't have the body to stay injury free for very long at a time. Kind of like Oden with the TrailBlazers. But trade Hank now why he still has value.
    This team's pitching could be upgraded so the future won't be so bleak while we are waiting for the kids to grow up. Others to look at trading are Salty, Laird, and Cruz. I think putting those 4 guys on the trade market would enable you to be fairly efficient in finding some starting pitching NOW. Hell, I am tired of waiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I am not understanding this post at all. The Texieria was fantastic. Feliz is one of the top starting pitchers in the minors - in the top 25 prospects in all of the minor leagues. He was a AA last year and could be in Texas in 2010. Andrus will be our new SS and has amazing speed and hitting capablilites. He is one of the top 40 prospects in the minors. Texas and Boston are talking about a Salty for Bucholtz deal. Man, we hit the jack pot with the Tex trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast